Fantasmic! Dinner Package

Sara's Mom

Earning My Ears
I'm brand new to this Forum, so bare with me if this question is asked all the time. Is the Fantasmic! dinner package worth it? I am going from January 30th to February 3rd 2004 and was wondering if you all thought that this would be necessary with the low level of crowds? Thanks for any help in advance.:smooth:

Hello, Sara's Mom, and welcome to the DIS! :)

If you plan on doing a sit-down meal, with each person in your party ordering dinner, I would say the Fantasmic! package is worth it. Those lines get pretty long, and it can be difficult to stay entertained while you're sitting on the bleachers waiting for the show to start. Also, food choices are very limited in the theater, though you can purchase something at Sunset Ranch Market (or any counter service) to bring in with you.

If you don't really want a full meal that day, I'd pick up dinner and eat while you're waiting for the show to start.

Thanks! I try to do at least one sit-down meal a day. A gal can only take so much "fast food".

For lots of info on the Fantasmic Dinner Package, tryhttp://www.mgmstudios.org/food/fantasmic.html

Thanks . That was so helpful. I am going with the package and decided to try out the Brown Derby. I have never been there to eat.

I can only tell you that we have gone when the crowds were at low levels everywhere else - until you got to the theater for Fantasmic!

Thank goodness we did the package because we have three young children and it would have been a disaster. We did HV and everyone loved it because there was a little of everything.

I would definately recommend it - especially if you were going to eat in the park anyway.

ok.. here is my experience.

we went to see Fantasmic on the last sunday in October last year. We didn't buy the package though.... But we did have dinner at Brown Derby's on that night. It was a great restaurant. :bounce: :bounce: .

We left the restaurant about 45 mintues prior to the show. No major line up. The middle section of the theatre was reservered for those with the package. We got seats on the far left... But we did get to see everything.

Also there were food stands in the theature.

hope it helps.

Jean

Originally posted by jeank74
The middle section of the theatre was reservered for those with the package. We got seats on the far left... But we did get to see everything.

That's a new one to me. AFAIK, the section on the far right is currently reserved for those purchasing the dinner package.

We saw Fantasmic earlier this year on the last week in January--same time frame as the original poster. On that night there were empty seats at showtime. The sections were filled in the theater from right to left, and the two leftmost sections had many empty seats.

Just be aware that when purchasing the "package", you pay a fixed price for your meal. That's not a big deal at Hollywood and Vine since ALL of the meals are the same price. But at Mama Melrose's or Brown Derby, you may need to choose the most expensive entree on the menu in order to really get your money's worth.

If you are a penny-pinching vacationer, then I'd suggest looking at menus first and really finding out how much extra (if anything) those Fantasmic tickets are costing you. For those more concerned with just getting into the theater, go for it. You can always move to another section if there are better seats available when you arrive.

The first time we saw fantasmic, we got there really early, got great seats, and had a long wait, the show broke down about 10 - 15 minutes before the finale. Everyone was waiting for it to resume, but then the cm's were ushering everone out of the stadium, apparantly they couldn't pick up the show where it stopped. It was a real let down after that long wait and DS's then 6 really wanted to see Mickey face the dragon. The next time we went we did the dinner package and it was great, we could do other things in the park, the seats were good and the wait wasn't long , and we finally saw the whole show. If we go again we will definately do the package our take our chances on what seats are available close to show time. We would never go early again.

Originally posted by tjkraz
That's a new one to me. AFAIK, the section on the far right is currently reserved for those purchasing the dinner package.

I think they musT switch this around cause according to different posts it's been all over the theatre.

do you remember how early you got there in Jan and if you know when it stared getting full. I have mostly decided against the package I think (may change mind like i have 15 times alreadY!) but don't know if I want to spend that long waiting...I was planning on taking food in from another stand and so guess I wouldn't be "wasting " anymore time than I would if I plunk down $50+ to eat another big meal. decisions, decisions!

Originally posted by jann1033
I think they musT switch this around cause according to different posts it's been all over the theatre.

Could be, but according to FAQs at www.mgmstudios.org and www.wdwig.com, and my own personal observations, the reserved seating is currently on the far right.

We probably started walking to the theater about 45 minutes ahead of time. Due to the length of the walk and the large crowd gathering, it took at least 15 minutes before we reached a seat. So we sat waiting for about 20-30 minutes prior to the show start. We did have very good seats--right in one of the middle sections. As I said, the second-to-last section on the left was mostly empty, and the last section was completely empty when the show began.

Remember this was in the last week of January. Crowds were VERY low. Using FastPass on rare occasions, we never waited more than 10 minutes for any ride the entire week.

If you're wondering whether to plan a big meal just to take advantage of the meal package, there's no way I would personally go that route. Schedule Fantasmic for early in your trip, and have a "backup" day set aside on the unlikely chance that you don't get into your first option. Note that a number of people have indicated their showing was cancelled due to weather-related or mechanical issues. Hate to see you pre-pay for that $50 meal only to have the show cancelled.

tjkraz; my thinking exactly! we will be there the 6-13 of Jan so it shouldn't be super busy although someone mentioned how busy famtasmic was even with low crowds. I'm sure that changes like every thing else. I figured if we miss it one night we'll try, try again! Thanks for the imput

Because my kids are young (and skittish) I am undecided about Fantasmic. I don't think it is worth us planning dinner around it since I think it is quite possible that the kids will not tolerate it well. I will probably try to pass by the theater 25 minutes or so before the show and grab seats if they are available. We will be there the third week in Nov, so I think there is some possibility that the crowds will be light enough to accomodate this (if that is unrealistic, please tell me) but if not, that may be just as well for us.

or can you ask a cm if there is only standing room left? that is something I definitely do not want to do after a long day of walking

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter