Fantasy Propulsion Issue

insureman

DIS Veteran
Just wondering what the status was. Did they pick up equipment and techs in Port Canaveral or are they waiting for San Juan to fix whatever needs repairing? :confused3

with the ongoing nature of this issue, it wouldn't surprise me if it required a drydock maintenance activity to repair. You can roll bearings, replace seals all in a day at sea with trail shaft. We replaced a propeller on my old CV and it took us 5 days pierside that had been a significant speed and vibration problem for an entire deployment. Something really big that is such an impediment on a recurring basis...If they could've fixed it outside of a yard period, I'm sure they would've done so by now.

We had a shaft seal replaced on my ship (AFS) while still in the water. Had it done in Toulon France if my memory is correct. I also remember them having some issues with the temporary cofferdam configuration.

So getting back to the original question, is anyone on board the Fantasy now that can confirm if they can do over 17 knots? According to DCL this problem should be fixed by tonight. We are sailing at the end of February.

with the ongoing nature of this issue, it wouldn't surprise me if it required a drydock maintenance activity to repair. You can roll bearings, replace seals all in a day at sea with trail shaft. We replaced a propeller on my old CV and it took us 5 days pierside that had been a significant speed and vibration problem for an entire deployment. Something really big that is such an impediment on a recurring basis...If they could've fixed it outside of a yard period, I'm sure they would've done so by now.

I'm beginning to think that the issue is drive motor related and not on the shafts or skeg. Considering the type of bearings that DCL uses and the relative short periods of time its taking to fix, I'd bet that there is a recurring problem with 1 of the 2 motors. I think DCL even mentioned it at 1 point when she had problems before that limited her

So getting back to the original question, is anyone on board the Fantasy now that can confirm if they can do over 17 knots? According to DCL this problem should be fixed by tonight. We are sailing at the end of February.

Not on the ship but shed be fine by Feb.

According to the ship tracker I have shes doing 12 knotts at sea.

So far there have been no updates for the Feb 1st sailing of the Fantasy from DCL. We board our flight Early tomorrow to head for FL so was really hoping there would be news if they were canceling any of our Western itinerary ports by now. Happily they haven't as of yet so crossing fingers its running better. Makes a difference on what I pack for our excursions :0)

So far there have been no updates for the Feb 1st sailing of the Fantasy from DCL. We board our flight Early tomorrow to head for FL so was really hoping there would be news if they were canceling any of our Western itinerary ports by now. Happily they haven't as of yet so crossing fingers its running better. Makes a difference on what I pack for our excursions :0)
I dont think St Thomas is that far from San Juan. So the speed is probably about right. Watch today when the ship heads out to CC. That'll be the tatlle tale. She should be running at or near 20 knotts

Just checked one of the online cruise tracker sites and it currently has it moving at 21 knots a little northwest of Saint Thomas. It was scheduled to depart St Thomas about 2 hours ago, so that seems realistic to me.

Just checked one of the online cruise tracker sites and it currently has it moving at 21 knots a little northwest of Saint Thomas. It was scheduled to depart St Thomas about 2 hours ago, so that seems realistic to me.

Sounds about right if both drive motors are up and running properly. At least for now.

This issue has been around since day 1, and seems to be getting worse. I remember sitting in Animators on her Inaugural, and could see the water in my glass vibrate rhythmically. That was my first thought that a blade was out of balance, or something with one of the shafts. Since then, assuming its the same issue, its gotten worse to the point of reducing her speed probably once a year. She was in the yard in 17 for 2 weeks and if it was a prop, strut or balance issue, I would think it would have been resolved then. Plus the props have blades that can be replaced or adjusted in water. Their bolt on blades.

I think, using the Dream as a time frame, she should be going in to drydock probably this year since the Dream went last year. Usually 1 set of ships goes in the odd year, and the other 2 in the even.

I think, using the Dream as a time frame, she should be going in to drydock probably this year since the Dream went last year. Usually 1 set of ships goes in the odd year, and the other 2 in the even.
Dream is spending time in dry dock this year. We are on 2 of the Fantasy sailings with a weird set of itineraries. A 3 day Bahamas and a 5 night western.

We were also on the Fantasy post May 2017 dry dock when she had issues on the first 3 nighter that delayed getting back into port for the eastern carib, which was also changed to San Juan instead of Tortola. After a LENGTHY day in port canaveral, they finally shoved off at like 11pm. I figured san juan is a good stop after the days at sea since they won't need passports for US passengers to get them back should they have to abandon the ship. But there was deinetly something that broke after May drydock. Or a fix that didn't hold or something. As you described water was dancing in glasses and there was a significant vibration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter