Fastpass return or replacement?

I see the same talking points being raised by people defending this abomination. And of course, there were problems with the old system. But I just find it odd that they can’t imagine a solution that doesn’t have Disney reaching into your pocket some more. But of course “everyone else does it” etc etc.

I’d also like you to imagine a world where Disney had invested in rides instead of blowing billions on digital systems that were sold on their ability to reduce staffing costs. And this is ultimately the reason Disney is where they are. We’ve had close to 20 years of chronic underinvestment in the parks. Each park should have gotten an e ticket every 4-5 years since opening. Instead, we’ve more hotels, dvc where they couldn’t fill those same hotels. Ride closures and of we were lucky value engineered replacements that didn’t even have the same capacity.

Add all of this to the multitude of cost reductions. Not just big things like magic express or parking. No longer having 2-4 full time custodians per restrooms. The Light bulb crews that replaced bulbs at 80% of their expected lights so you don’t have blown light everywhere. Monorails maintenance. Basic things like benches. Etc etc. Etc

I feel for people who didn’t experience WDW up to the late 90s. Because what we have now is a shallow imitation of those once glorious parks. You’ve to go to Tokyo now to get that same experience.
The grass is always greener elsewhere.

I do not agree, I think Tokyo is overrated ;-) Disney Sea is pretty, it's a perfect instagram park. We saw tons of locals just going around taking pictures of themselves in the different areas. That gives a totally different vibe. It's pretty, with some Disney sprinkled on top of it. If you take out Disney
wouldn't be very different. The dash to get fastpasses for Toy Story Mania is brutal over there. The lines to see a show, or the lottery systems, not a fan.

Automation is a thing throughout all industries, whether it's self-service at the airport or in a supermarket, or an online reservation system.

So does This genie plus give you the next time going. What if I’m not in the park by then

do u get so long to use it%

also if the next slot is say 6 hours away does that mean I can’t pick anything for 6 hours

Last edited:
Exactly. I have no idea why people are excited for this. Especially when you can only make one at a time.
Because it spreads. You have to make more of a choice with one at a time.

Maybe something we don't know, but could have happened under FP+ that people made reservations but didn't show up. Because it was fully free, who cares? But you penalize others.

You know what's really funny.... before with FP+, quite often in parks like Epcot, I didn't even want the 3rd FP... it would be for Nemo or Figment or something that rarely had a long line. I would have loved another Tier one FP, but the other rides were not needed. So I would book basically a throw away FP early in the day so as to get through the initial 3 FPs, hoping to book another Tier 1 FP.
So, why would I purchase Genie + for those parks. I didn't even use the FP system for those Tier 2 rides. AND if I have to purchase Genie + in order to pay for a LL for Tier 1 rides, that becomes not worth it. I will just wait in the SB line and play heads up with the family.

Because it spreads. You have to make more of a choice with one at a time.

Maybe something we don't know, but could have happened under FP+ that people made reservations but didn't show up. Because it was fully free, who cares? But you penalize others.

If you didn’t show up for a FP reservation, the standby line would have just moved faster. I do get what you’re saying about it penalizing those who couldn’t get that reservation, but guessing it mostly affected lesser tier rides (how many people didn’t show up for a Pandora FP?). Curious if this new system will make standby wait times better.

Exactly. I have no idea why people are excited for this. Especially when you can only make one at a time.

The whole time leading up to the announcement people kept saying how they hoped it was like MaxPass and I couldn't figure out why. Having been to both coasts, I can safely say that trying to panic tap a FP for something at entry while trying to speed walk your way through the crowds with your phone in front of your face to get to your rope drop ride is much less enjoyable than knowing you have space mountain booked months in advance.

I think someone said it would be LL and BG. No mention of cost, though. I can only imagine. That's where the bazinga will come.

There are many people on this board that have great understanding of current events. Can anyone correct my thinking around these three scenarios?
First, I buy a day ticket for $109 and with a reservation enter a park. Then I wait in standby lines for anywhere from walk on to 90 min or more, depending on ride.
Second, I buy a day ticket and add Genie+ for an additional $15. Now I can search for available fast pass lane access and or Genie+ will offer fast lane access for my preferred rides if I enter what I prefer. Or would Genie track my history and know through AI that I like Pirates and Splash the best? But at this stage I cannot use fast lanes at highest tiers.
Third, I buy the park at $109, Genie at $15, and X at $15 for a total of about $139. Now I can wander the park, looking for fast lane times on any and all rides that support it. If my party becomes a party of four, then all prices listed is x4.

Is this understanding correct, with the notes that we do not know the price yet of the top tier (X) or exactly what the top tier list is and if Genie+ only offers fast lane or can we select fast lanes using Genie+ throughout the day?

If they could make it where a lot of rides had a virtual standby then this would be workable and maybe even have a few silver linings. I’d think that it would also be in Disney’s best interest too, no? Keeping people out of long lines so that they can shop/spend money was always the thought process. And sure they’ll make money on people spending on G+ and LL, but for a lot of people won’t that just eat up the budget? They might not have as much left in the budget at that point to go on a shopping spree, which sort of defeats the point as far as profit is concerned.

i’m really holding out hope for virtual standby.

The social media blow back on some of the dis groups i follow on facebook seems to be brutal.

there are of course people that are all for it, just like this, but there are a lot that are saying their done.

It's fine though, this is all about increasing spending per guests and keeping the rift raft out.

i’m really holding out hope for virtual standby.
According to Len Testa during his live chat yesterday, the virtual standby was pulled at the last minute because it was to complicated. I'd have to go back and listen again as to whether it was the programming that was to complex or it was considered to be too complicated for the casual guest to understand.

My summary:

-Boarding groups/virtual queues - offered for new attractions. Method to obtain expected to stay the same (7am fastest fingers and best wi-fi/LTE access). IF BG cannot be obtained, see below*.
-Genie - no charge - only provides traditional standby lines
-Genie+ - replaces FP+; provides access to Lightning Lanes for $15/day/ticket; choose next-available-time for one attraction/experience at a time. Speculated to primarily be "Tier 2" rides. Although MK did not have FP+ tiers, it will now have tiers due to the most popular rides not providing LL access.
-*Individual Attraction Selections - will be Tier 1 rides available for purchase at variable cost - max of 2 per day. WDW website says you "schedule a ride" - unclear if that means "choose your time". Can be purchased without having Genie. Some have stated 10 rides total among 4 WDW parks. Disney identified 7DMT as one. Waiting for confirmation of other 9 rides (though we can probably guess). Unclear as to whether or not these will still have standby option? ETA: These rides can be purchased at 7am by WDW resort guests, while others will not be able to purchase until park open.

What did I miss? I know there are still many unknowns, but I would like to edit/correct this, as I plan to use this to explain to DH and a couple of friends who look to me for Disney info. Thanks!!

Last edited:
I'm really curious how many people who usually stay deluxe or club level are going to downgrade to value or even offsite as there are no real benefits to staying deluxe

I’m no fan of this new system, but I can work with it at least and it insures I’ll be staying Deluxe or DVC. The EMH’s in the evening are a huge perk if they don’t use Genie. I just wish they were offering them at HS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter