Fastpass return or replacement?

Edit: I am not spreading misinformation about DAS. 1) I said people asked for letters not that they need them.

Disney won't even look at such a letter. Rather than judging for yourself who is (or should be) eligible, I'd suggest spending your free time reading up on how the system works. And then feel free to put your commentary into another, more appropriate thread.

I would be happy to pay for fastpasses at this point! hopefully it comes back in september

So - I am not sure why, but the previous Fastpass thread got shutdown. Let’s try to keep this one on topic to avoid the same fate for this thread.

I have an upcoming trip in mid-august and I am dreading this trip without some sort of FP. We reviewed our trip itinerary this evening during dinner and I could tell everyone in our family was anxious about this trip. I had to have my three kids choose their highest priority rides at each park and we discussed how we would do those at rope drop, but that we would not be able to everything we normally do. This was certainly disappointing given this is our first trip in over 1.5 years (we usually go to WDW 2 or 3 times per year).

Of course my children asked, “Why did Disney take away FP?”. We had a discussion about profits and supply & demand. The best response was from my 9-y/o who said “why don’t they just raise the ticket prices and keep FP the way it was if they want more money?” Honestly, I didn’t have a good answer.

Is there any hope that we will hear something about FP this week? At this point I think it’s unlikely but I’m holding out hope.

Let’s keep the return of FP discussion going!

with one in 10 kids now falling somewhere on the spectrum, I think it probable the DAS will be used more and more. I doubt many people take advantage, it's very difficult to discuss ones disability, or your Child, believe me. ESP. in person! also, people , like myself, with arthritis, are fine at first, but as the day wears on, standing in those long lines becomes very painful. Fibromyalgia flares up with tons of walking, and so do many other things not visible.
This said, I could use this pass every time we go, but don't. I think I will now due to lack of fast pass, two-three lines and I'm done and at the prices they charge now, I can't justify not going for the entire day.
Not saying you don't have a reason, so please don't take it that way. But if it is purely a mobility issue (i.e. can't physically stand in line that long because of aches/pains), then DAS is not appropriate. They would tell you to use a wheelchair/scooter and go through the regular lines. Not aimed at you specifically, but something I see brought up frequently.

Disney won't even look at such a letter. Rather than judging for yourself who is (or should be) eligible, I'd suggest spending your free time reading up on how the system works. And then feel free to put your commentary into another, more appropriate thread.

Right. My understanding is there are legal issues with asking for that sort of documentation.

The biggest reason I think a change is happening, besides the litany of rumors, is that they haven't brought back FP+. There is no reason that if they intended to bring it back, that they wouldn't have yet. At least not one that I can think of.

I had this thought for a while but I think they may have good reason why they couldnt bring it back yet... without full capacity dining, without more shows/ shops, entertainment, etc., then they need standby queues to be as full as possible to eat crowds. I was there in July and it was very busy. Had FP+ been around, I think that stores and common areas would have been insanely packed like NYE feeling packed, which would not be a good look for Disney.

That may be so, but this is from the official Disney Parks blog:

• Why doesn’t Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctor’s note?
    Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/
There are legal ways and illegal ways to ask for a doctors note. They may just say that to get around it. But it definitely can be done.

without full capacity dining, without more shows/ shops, entertainment, etc., then they need standby queues to be as full as possible to eat crowds. I was there in July and it was very busy. Had FP+ been around, I think that stores and common areas would have been insanely packed like NYE feeling packed, which would not be a good look for Disney.

Or, even worse, people would have left the park to go swim at their hotel, where they’re less likely to spend money.

At least if suffering in line in the park, there’s the chances of sending someone to pick up frozen lemonade, sodas, and snacks for the rest of the group.

Yes, there will be guests who, in frustration, end their vacation and vow never to return. But Disney is very good at wooing people to come back with the new rides, new experiences and new shows.

Disney is like an awful high school boyfriend, “Look, baby, I know I treated you bad in the past. But I’m different now...I’ve changed. Give me one more chance. I have a new Camero and I’d love for you to be the first person to get a ride in it.”

Disney is like an awful high school boyfriend, “Look, baby, I know I treated you bad in the past. But I’m different now...I’ve changed. Give me one more chance. I have a new Camero and I’d love for you to be the first person to get a ride in it.”
Yeah but instead of letting you ride in it they make you stand outside for an hour in the sun for a quick ride around the block and try to convince you it was the best ride you ever had.

Well, tomorrow is Friday, and unpleasant news often comes on Fridays in the late afternoon.

Maybe tomorrow’s the day? I’m bracing myself.

eta: Does anyone know Disney gave any hints about paid access in the quarterly reports today?

eta: Answering my own question, the webcast starts at 4:30. Why does this feel like waiting for the results of my chemistry exam? :scared:

Last edited:
Well, tomorrow is Friday, and unpleasant news often comes on Fridays in the late afternoon.

eta: Does anyone know Disney gave any hints about paid access in the quarterly reports today?
Hasn't happened yet, but usually there's not much in the way of "news" in the report.

I think that has yet to come out publicly today. Hopefully soon. I'm very impatiently waiting as we're headed down there in a little over 2 weeks.

FOP is hitting 3 hrs, others easily hitting well over an hour, sometimes 2. People are complaining about snaking lines crowding and disrupting the parks. The lines are most definitely not better.

agreed! FOP was 180 minutes a couple weeks ago. Pretty much every ride was 60-90 minutes... sure the line moves... but the line is moving for an hour to 90 minutes... an hour wait moving or not moving is still an hour wait. I dunno

eta: Answering my own question, the webcast starts at 4:30. Why does this feel like waiting for the results of my chemistry exam? :scared:
Yep . Every single unpopular or potentially contentious government or school board announcement during this pandemic came on a Friday where I live. If they were expecting a backlash it always came on Friday so people had the weekend to freak out and calm down a bit .
I’m bracing myself too !

Sounds like the division including parks returned to generating operating profit last quarter.

From the Yahoo writeup:
Disney CEO Bob Chapek said in a press statement. “We continue to introduce exciting new experiences at our parks and resorts worldwide, along with new guest-centric services …”

I wonder if “new guest centric services” is a euphemism for paid access?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter