Favorite beach campground near FW

tinkerdorabelle

DIS Veteran
We're coming down end of April but have a few days before we arrive open and were considering another campground in Florida, or even possibly Carolinas or Georgia. Am open to East coast or Gulf. Any suggestions on a really nice campground? I know that this is sort of last minute but this is how we roll a lot as it is just my husband, myself and our 2 dogs. Many times we just "wing it" on our drive down but wanted to know your favorites in Florida or other. Was hoping near coast ocean but it doesn't have to be.
Thanks!

tink,

I'll throw my two cents in here. I have visited both of these suggestions but never stayed overnight at either one (yet).

First, on the Atlantic coast is Jetty Park Campground at Port Canaveral where the cruise ships depart and arrive.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Campground

They've updated their website look since I last saw it but basically weekends are hard to get but Sun-Thu night was easier. They even used to show a special of 5-for-the-price-of-4 on Sun-Thu. They're a mix of grass and concrete pads, full hooks and all-but-sewer, but virtually no shade anywhere. The cruise ships make great views (schedules leaving and arriving are publicly available on google). And the occasional rocket launch at Kennedy Space Center just north of Jetty.

Second, on the Gulf Coast/Tampa side is Fort Desoto which is a Pinellas County park. I put some info in this thread on the Community Board recently so I'll post the link here. See post #2.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/lion-country-safari-ft-desoto-or-yogi-bear.3571964/

Note that County residents get a month's jump on booking versus people from outside the county (or state for that matter). Note also that Easter is mid-April and lot of snowbirds stay down south till then before they migrate north. This fits your timetable.

Good luck! :beach:

Bama Ed

Thanks Bama. The Port Canaveral one is actually available, didn't check the other yet. My 90 yo dad will be jealous bc he always flew down every yr to that area with his buddies going golfing until last couple yrs, and would stay in a condo and rave about watching the ships from there. Always talks about it.

Last edited:
We have stayed at the North Beach Camp Resort in Saint Augustine. The sites have a bit of vegetation in between which gives them some privacy. The sites we stayed in had a complete base of sand. Not sure if there are any paved sites. Just across Rt.A1A from the ocean.We will probably stay there again for a couple of nights on our next trip down.
IMG_20160416_172242642_zpsae2gtrn4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

We have stayed at the North Beach Camp Resort in Saint Augustine. The sites have a bit of vegetation in between which gives them some privacy. The sites we stayed in had a complete base of sand. Not sure if there are any paved sites. Just across Rt.A1A from the ocean.We will probably stay there again for a couple of nights on our next trip down.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
We saw this campground online and were interested as we have stayed at Anastasia State Park nearby and liked but it is really hard to get into. Is it walking distance to the ocean?

We have stayed at Anastasia State Park a couple of times. It is nice. Also, stayed at Fort Clinch SP last year, just outside Amelia Island, FL. The Beach section is very open (no trees), while the river section is very wooded. Jekyll Island SP near Brunswick, GA is an interesting place. I try to book a couple of nights at the beach on the way to the Fort and a couple on the way home just to mix things up. We are going to try Little Talbot Island this summer.

We saw this campground online and were interested as we have stayed at Anastasia State Park nearby and liked but it is really hard to get into. Is it walking distance to the ocean?
tinkerdorabelle, yes it is a very short walk. Just across the street from the entrance to the campground. If you zoom
IMG_20160416_165016796_zpsvhhdns23.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] in tight on Google maps you will see how close the campground is to the ocean. I ended up staying there because I couldn't get into Anastasia state park. Here is a picture from the main entrance and you can see a little bit of the ocean on the other side of the street.
IMG_20160416_165016796_zpsvhhdns23.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is and its amazing! I would recommend you do a DCL cruise at least once (that was my plan, lol, now I am hooked and going on my third).
I am with you tltay2005. We're going on our third cruise in 4 weeks. This time will be 7night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy.

It is and its amazing! I would recommend you do a DCL cruise at least once (that was my plan, lol, now I am hooked and going on my third).
DW is afraid of boating.... (Think Titanic).

She's afraid that something is going to happen and the boat is going to sink. She will, survive though, only to get eaten by a shark.

She's also afraid to fly. She is afraid something is going to happen and the plan is going to crash but she will survive, only to get eaten by a shark.

Do you detect a theme yet???

She's afraid that something is going to happen and the boat is going to sink. She will, survive though, only to get eaten by a shark.

She's also afraid to fly. She is afraid something is going to happen and the plan is going to crash but she will survive, only to get eaten by a shark.

Too funny. I honestly was afraid my first time too, but the ship is huge and I never had any issues. Tell her we never saw any sharks and you can drive to FL to the port. Maybe one day she will change her mind.

The really funny thing is the DCL ships are pretty small compared to the largest cruise ships with RCL, Carnival, Princess and more. Pretty sure the largest DCL ship is like the 30th largest cruise ship by tonnage. You should see the real big boys.

The last real Big Ship I saw (in person and up close) was the USS Kitty Hawk several (and by several I mean more than 20) years ago. My brother was stationed on the Kitty Hawk and at one point they were allowed to do "Tours" with family so we got to take a tour. It was awesome, but I don't think, given everything I know about it, that I could handle that kind of life. The berthing alone is enough to deter me.

If I were to ever go on a cruise ship (and I would love to but again the DW is not really up to it), I think I would want the more Luxurious accommodations. Now to be able to afford it... .well that's another story. :)

Paul I know she is a fan but you really need to make her stop watching THE "SHARKNADO'' movies

Haven't had a chance to actually try it out yet, but we're planning on trying out Anastasia State Park for a night in November. Close to St. Augustine, close to the ocean, close to I-95. Sites seem pretty roomy. Google says two hours to the Fort.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/anastasia
Cosmic,

:welcome:

Nice 1st post and Welcome to the camping forum.

I've been by Anastasia SP, but not camped there. It looks like a nice park and the St Augustine area has a lot to see and do if you're going to be there for a while.

j

Oh, my! I do think your dw & I must have been siblings that were separated at birth!! I no longer fly because I have always been paralyzed with fear of the plane having issues. Used to fly when I 'had' to, scouting trips to new cities where dh's company wanted to relocate him, also a few emergency situations, otherwise we drove. Dh had to fly so many trips abroad that he, too, would rather drive now.

Have no desire for cruises for several reasons - the biggest one, just thinking about all that water under the ship and rogue waves!! I am definitely a landlubber!! Like to keep my feet on terra firma! :P

Cosmic,

:welcome:

Nice 1st post and Welcome to the camping forum.

I've been by Anastasia SP, but not camped there. It looks like a nice park and the St Augustine area has a lot to see and do if you're going to be there for a while.

j
Thanks! This will be our first time staying at the Fort in November, so I'm trying to soak up all of the wonderful information here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter