• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

favorite Western excursions- Im getting psyched!

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
what was everyone's favorite Western excursion? I cruised to Key West & Cozumel Dec 01 w/MIL. Stopped at both Hogs Breath and Carlos n Charlies. Next year DH would like to stop there but also check on the different excursions. What would you suggest for DS11.5, DH & myself?

Wow - just took a look on Barb's site! There is soooo much to do on the Western Cruise! In Grand Cayman the stingray city snorkel tour looks great! GC and Cozumel both have the submarine. Cozumel has the dolphins!

The planning has begun again!

Big vote for Capt Marvin, and not just any Capt Marvin but specifically the FULL day tour.

We did it on out 11/9 Western, Me DW, DS 14, DD's 10 and 9.

People will warn you you might not get there in time, and say DCL only lets their excursions off the ship first. Well I can tell you first hand, we were on the FIRST tender and it was no where near full.

It was like a private trip. My family of 5, and 5 other passengers, one Mom and Dad with a 8 YR old and a couple from believe it or not Boston. We were the only ones from the ship, the other families were vacationing on the island.

We did three seperate snorkle stops, as well as Sting Ray City. Stopped at a private Yacht club for a home made local lunch of baked Mahi Mahi, shredded pork, coconut bread salad etc. ( that is five stops incase you are counting) Our first stop for Conch was cleaned, marinaded while we snorkled, and served as an appetizer on the beach.

It was THE best day of the whole trip, Castaway Cay included.

We had a professional photographer make a movie of the whole day which Marvin's provides, no obligation to buy. We did for $50.00 and now is a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

:D :D

They provide everything, except towels and sun screen, collect them the day ahead from the pool so you are ready to rock in the morning. We had room service sent at 7 AM, the earliest option. When I marked the card I checked to the left of the 7AM box indicating earlier is better. It arrived at 6:50- Perfect. We took most of the food off with us. We were at the dive shop, a short walk from the tender drop off before 8AM. We were in the theater tender meeting spot by 7:15.

It really made a difference in the quality of the experience being with such a small group.

They had us back at the tender by 3:30, that gave us plenty of time to go to the Hard Rock and buy T shirts while hords of DCL passengers waited in line for the tenders. We went to the line at 4:15, collected our complimentary glass of fruit punch and got on board with no wait. I believe there were 2 more tenders that came afer ours so we were not the last stragelers by any means.

PS.... Bring along those Fuji under water cameras (one for each in your party as a minimum) from Wallmart. Pics came out great. Also pack three or four cans of cheese wiz snack food. It brings in the fish like crazy. This is also true for Castway Cay which we really did enjoy ( Second Best Day). The fish there followed us the entire time we were in the water.

My kids think I am Aqua Man ! :p

What ever you decide, I wish you the time of your life as we had.

Bob

We did Stingray City and Island Tour and had a great time, but the highlight of our 11/9 Western was the dolphin swim in Cozumel. We booked the swim directly with Dolphin Discovery. DCL only offers the Dolphin Encounter. It was well worth it! The price directly with DD was only a few dollars more than the DCL Encounter. Our price also included admission to Chankanaab Park and the Sea Lion/Parrot Show. The kids loved the jungle trail with the replicas of the ruins and although it was rough weather the day we were there, it looked like great snorkeling, too. We bought the video of the dolphin swim. It's great!! Our group consisted of our family of four and only two others. I highly recommend this experience!!!!!!

Linda

I'm with Bob!

Actually we were with Bob - at his table that night, wishing and wishing we had done the full day trip with Capt. Marvin's. But the half day was amazing as well . It was one of the most fun times I have ever had! I loved the sting rays. We had a bunch of DISers on our boat.

Other Western excursions - didn't like the tour operator for the Tulum excursion - wouldn't recommend it though the ruins were very interesting - way too much time spent going to the tour operator's private shopping mall and we were expected to stay with the tour guide at all times and the guide was painfully boring. The snorkle and sail at Key West was much nicer than I'd thought it would be. It was pretty hard snorkling, though with heavy surge - not for beginners.

And Bob, Jill is still talking about how much she loves the Nobles and when are we going to see them again!!! Hey my big 5-0 is 12/31 next year - wanna join us on a boat somewhere?

Karyn:wave:

Take a look at disneydarwin's super trip report from the 11/23 Western.

Hey Karen, Hey Linda

Sorry I have been off the boards since we got back, the time of year has had us hopping.

Boy did we get lucky or what with the whole virus thing. I bet it all started with our assistant servers room mate that was quarantined during our week. That was a close one.

We would love to do another trip some day.

Lets stay in touch

Bob-

Great to hear from you! I've been swamped at work since we got back. We had a great time. Emily said to say Hi to Nicki.

Linda

Thanks Linda, I'll pass it on. Have a safe and enjoyable holiday season. I'm having Disney withdrawals :(

Trying to talk the family into driving down after Christmas for the vacation week.
All the Best,
Bob

DuncanLL - we are sending in our deposit for the dolphin swim (will be there 12/03). What time did you do the swim? I have to pick a time and have no idea which to pick. I want to make sure we see the seal show and do the rest of the park - as you said you did in your post. Any info will help. Oh - how much was the video and pics? I am budgeting now and want to make sure I have enough for everything.

We did the swim at 2:00. There were about 4 groups of six people each who all did swims in different areas of DD. We got off the ship as soon as we could and went directly to the park. We were able to see the first sea lion show, walk the trail and swim in the lagoon and still be at our designated spot by 1:45 for the swim. After the swim, they showed us the photos and the completed video. I think the video was $49 and the photos $10 - it's on their website. We bought the dolphin kiss picture of each of the kids. I'm glad we did. Our underwater camera pictures didn't turn out as well. Then we bought some items we had seen at the shops in the park at the end of the trail - we didn't want to drag the purchases around all day. We got some nice blankets for $5 a piece and some vanilla, etc. It was no problem getting a cab back to the ship. There was a line of cabs there. It's nice that DCL stays in Cozumel so late. We shopped a little at the mall at the pier and got back to the ship in time to get ready for the show.

Hope that helps.

Linda

Thanks for the quick reply Linda! I don't know what we are more excited about - swimming with dolphins or the cruise LOL!

My dd loves dolphins and seals with a passion I have never seen, so she is really looking forward to this. I heard you can take a pic with the seals too after their show. Did you do this?

Did you see the Mayan Village? Is that on the trail?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter