"Fear" of eating out alone...

I have to say I hate eating alone. I recently had to go to Boston and I just ate at the hotel restaurant 2 nites, grabbed take out - and went to my bosses home (he is in another city) for dinner my last night there.

It was my first time eating alone at a sitdown place. The first night I met a really nice couple at a table very close by and they talked with me. The second night it was more of a bar scene and I felt a little awkward.

I like the sugggestions though!. I have to go to NYC on Tuesday and maybe I'll bring Sudoku or something to keep me company.

You've gotten so many good suggestions that I recommend, especially for your upcoming trip.

Here's how I learned to do it on a more general basis...and I did need to retrain myself to see such things as important me time. Start out small and local, at a cafe. Eat there, maybe during a more informal lunchtime, regularly, so that you build up a rapport with the servers and a comfort level. Then move to a late-afternoon or an evening meal at a midlevel restaurant, and build to a nice restaurant.

Occasionally I'll bring reading materials, but I try to avoid doing that too much (whether at a restaurant or at home) as it makes me less aware of what I eat and of the pleasure in the the food. I read more at first, then weaned myself away from it as a habit. That said, I occasionally bring a journal to write in, recording my experiences at the restaurant. I try to challenge myself to eat/drink new things when traveling. Interestingly, sometimes I get better service that way--almost as if people think I'm writing a review!

It helps if I think of it a good meal that I deserve for work well done, especially if I'm on the road.

And last but not least, a bit of advice that a wise woman once gave me and is valid in a number of situations: Fake it until you feel it. (That is, go into the restaurant with a smile on your face and a confidence in your step.)

I am leaving on Thursday for my first solo trip. I was feeling confident about it but now that the time is almost here I am not too sure.

Dining alone is not something I have ever done. I think I will be fine the rest of the time but meal time is worrying me. I have the free dining plan so I made some reservations at sit downs but now I am thinking about just doing all counter service meals where I will feel a little more comfortable.

Well I will try some of the tips I have read on here and see how it goes. I have a couple books and my xm radio/MP3 player is loaded so I can just put on the earphones and that should help. I hope that is not rude to do in a restaurant?

Oh well wish me luck!

Personally I would not use the audio as that would require earphones and make it difficult for the server to talk to you.

However, having (and reading) a book is not a problem as you can easily look away from it.

kellbelle said:
I am leaving on Thursday for my first solo trip. I was feeling confident about it but now that the time is almost here I am not too sure.

Dining alone is not something I have ever done. I think I will be fine the rest of the time but meal time is worrying me. I have the free dining plan so I made some reservations at sit downs but now I am thinking about just doing all counter service meals where I will feel a little more comfortable.

Well I will try some of the tips I have read on here and see how it goes. I have a couple books and my xm radio/MP3 player is loaded so I can just put on the earphones and that should help. I hope that is not rude to do in a restaurant?

Oh well wish me luck!

Dont skip out on the Table Service, its really going to be OK. Yes you can bring a book or some good disney lterature and take it from there. I have eaten at a few WDW places solo and found that the servers (especially at slow times) can be very friendly...asky them questions about where they are from or something your considering doing or just recommendations form the menu.

Enjoy the little things at each place...look at the scenery, look for hidden mickey's. You will be just fine and the food will be great!

Good luck!

Hi! I just returned from WDW, and at every table-serve resturant, when I checked in, I told them I was solo and since I didn't have a dining companion to talk with, I'd really appreciate a view. Every resturant was very nice and accomodating. At Chefs de France, they gave me a table by the window; Coral Reef next to the tank; California Grill a window table (it wasn't a MK view, more a GF view, but something to watch); and at Spoodles, a table by the show kitchen. I brought a Sudoku book to do puzzles, but didn't use it very much.

I am also a voracious reader, but I feel a bit odd reading a book at WDW - I'd just rather absorb the experience. What I do often instead is bring a small, hardbound notebook (the kind you see in bookstores for $7-10) that I keep with me when I travel to take notes for trip reports and just my general use. What I did, who I talked to, what I was thinking about.

You don't have to be a big journal writer or anything, even just notes of a few words about what you ate or what you liked really help me absorb the experience more. I think many people may be afraid of solo because they miss sharing the experience, and I find that this really can make up for that. I use the same book on all of my trips, and I usually make some generic book cover (I like to use old calendars) each time to protect it from the abuse it gets being carried in my backpack.

It's funny, but deekapee is right. I sometimes get a glance or two from the server as to what I'm writing (never an actual question, but I catch them looking) and I too have found that my service is never less than great when that happens. Then again, I've never not felt taken care of in a Disney restaurant.

I think Simba's Mom has a wonderful attitude, and good for you speaking up for your needs! Although on the surface it may not seem so because of the "family" atmosphere, but WDW is INCREDIBLY solo friendly, especially in the restaurants. I have eaten in dozens of full-service WDW eateries and trust me, they are used to solo diners.

The only places I don't tend to visit solo are the character meals, but that's just because I don't need to see the characters (I get enough of that on my non-solo trips, LOL) and prefer a la carte instead of buffets/etc. generally. I hear great things from solos that do - just as much character interaction, etc.

In all my trips at WDW alone (probably a total of two months worth of visits in the past few years...crazy but true thanks to AP discounts), I've only had two CM's ever say anything about it. Once was at the ticket booth when I turned in my first AP voucher - the woman at guest services (MGM) said she "hoped I wasn't there alone". I smiled and said, "Today I am, thank goodness!" The second time was a year or so later at Restrauntausaurus. I was the only one at the counter, late in the day, and the guy at the counter said, "All alone?" I said, "at the moment!" and smiled. Then he said, "Oh, don't worry, you'll find someone" LOL. He assumed I was single and there looking for love? Not sure, but I just smiled and said thanks as I walked away bewildered.

Those were it, though, in terms of CM's. Once or twice I've seen a family or two looki strangely at me because I'm alone, but I just smile to myself and think if only they knew how happy I was to not be holding a diaper bag and having six kids pull on me in different directions, LOL, they wouldn't think that. There are a lot more people who may do it than you think, and the only hurdle is yourself, really.

Never be afraid to have fun. No where is it written that you cannot enjoy just about anything at WDW alone. It's definately not for everyone, but if you are the personality that can do it, it's more rewarding than you can really say. It's not the same magic as trips with loved ones; it's different. Not better or worse overall...just different, and it can allow those of us who are co-dependent vacationers when we take the responsibility of planning for others the ultimate luxury of only worrying about yourself. :)

NED

debbiepump said:
How come eating alone doesn't seem to bother guys? I always wonder that.

it bothers me. I can't eat anyplace nicer than a McDonald's alone.

kellbelle said:

Oh well wish me luck!

I do the XM thing sometimes when I eat. Its nice when you are someplace where you can get indoor reception (terrestrial repeaters nearby)... I doubt there are any on Disney property...

I usually listen to recorded Opie and Anthony shows.

I used to feel this way but I'm over it now. I sometimes read a magazine, newespaper or a brochure. I went to MK solo because DH went to spend the day with a friend that lives in Orlando and I was fine. I even went to Epcot and Downtown Disney where I ate at Wolfgang Puck's Express. When I mention this to friends, they think I'm nuts. Why?! :confused3 I'm confident with being with myself :teeth:

I eat out alone all the time when travelling on business. I just bring along a paper or make sure I eat at a place where I can see a tv. You shouldn't feel self concious about it. As others have said - you gotta eat!!!!

And I am actually the opposite when it comes to room service - unless it's late or early (breakfast), I'll go out. I'd feel too weird just eating alone in my room. I'd rather have the company or being in a restaurant.

I ate out a couple of times this week....

It was funny. the lady who sat me - put me directly across from the single male.

I didn't notice when she first pulled out the chair and it was only later when I noticed her looking at us that I finally got it....

she was match making. or trying too....

cross men off my list long ago - however with Spicey now dead - maybe I should try the opposite sex again. He mean so much to me that I didn't want anything or anyone to interfer.

I attracted the losers and I mean losers....I felt sorry for them. :rolleyes:

I have started to enjoy eating alone.

I always carry a book with me and read. It's surprising how I have enjoyed eating at noisy places because I'm able to just tune all the background noise out and enjoy while the other patrons seem to be having to raise their voices or have no conversation at all.

My newest toy, surprisingly enough, works fantastic for solo dining! I treated myself to an iPod 80 gig video and have movies and podcasts loaded on it. Talk about entertainment!

Yes, it's fun to have company, but it sure is nice to eat solo, as well.

Shykat

I'm so use to it now, i don't even think about it. Usually I have my phone which has internet access so i can read, check scores, weather, etc.

I too used to be nervous about eating out alone. But then I moved overseas by myself, and for the first little bit, if I wanted to eat out, it was going to have to be on my own! So I did exactly what a lot of people here are suggesting...I started at smaller places - a lot of pubs where the bartenders and servers knew I wasn't local and they were more than willing to start up a conversation.
The book suggestion is a great one...I always have one with me and it does make me feel a lot less self-consious when eating alone.
However this summer, I wanted to visit a restaurant that I deemed "too" fancy to be reading in. I walked back and forth in front of the restaurant about 4 times before I finally said to myself, just go in!! And in I went for one of the best meals of my life! I had a great table where I was able to do a lot of people watching, and even though my server wasn't the friendliest one on the planet, some of his co-workers seemed to notice his inadequacies and stopped by on numerous occasions to chat and find out why I was travelling by myself!

Long story short...have no fear!! It's a liberating experience!

I am not comfortable reading a book at the table. I think I got yelled at for that a lot when I was a kid.

I like to sit at restaurant bars where they serve the full menu. Bartenders are usually chatty.

And to be asked why I was alone would make me so uncomfortable that I would probably leave the establishment. They're expecting an answer like "My husband and kids are in the park" not "I'm here by myself."

Being only 19 I've never really eaten out alone till my past trip. Ive always gone out with friends or family so when it came to planning adr's for my trip this past june i felt rather uncomfortable. But the more i thought about it I realized I was doing something cool, something fun that a lot of 19 year olds dont do...i was going on a vacation all by myself! So i picked 2 places sit down meals that i really wanted to try i didnt plan on anymore sit down meals due to my budget and also i didnt know how comfortable i would be.

So My first one that i went to was Sci-Fi. I had been here before with my family and i knew there would be the movies going so i could just people watch and enjoy the movies. The server that i had wasnt very friendly and didnt pay too much attetion to me so i finished my meal and was off to enjoy the park.

The next place i had dinner was at 1900 park fare. As soon as my buzzer went off telling me my table was ready i was so excited. In the entrance way the fairy god mother was there for pictures. I asked if i could take her picture and she said "of course but wouldnt you rather be in the picture with me?" Then she took my camera and asked the busser to take our picture. After that i was seated and my waitress quickly came over she took my drink order and then asked if i was there to see the characters or just the food. I told her it was for both. So each time a character came around she was right there to take pictures for me! She was so nice and i never felt out of place!

I know this sounds cheezy but its so true "dont let the fear of striking out keep you out of the game"! The magic of disney will make you feel comfortable. So for anyone worried about eating alone Be confident and have fun with it! This year im taking another solo trip (a birthday trip) and i got the dining plan so i can try a bunch of new places! Actually i just made all my ADR's today and i cant wait! and if you see me in May come over and say hi, ill have my green mickey head on my bag! :goodvibes

Terk-1 said:
I've been to WDW 4 times solo (with the 5th coming up later this year). As I love to read, I always have a book with me. I find that it takes away any awkwardness of dining alone. I'll still enjoy the ambience of the restaurant and the service, but by having a book, it breaks up the time waiting for my meal, etc. I also find it comes in handy waiting for a show or parade to start. Also, you can bring a small pad and pencil and write your trip reports while you are waiting too.

I think these are great suggestions. I, too, have a fear of dining alone. I'm glad I'm not the only one :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter