Feeling Hot Hot Hot! The Universal Edition. Pictures Galore! COMPLETE

May 17th continued

After our Forbidden Journey we met back up with Mom outside Hogwarts and started to head back into Hogsmeade. The wait for Flight of the Hippogriff was listed at 30 minutes so Alek and I decided to get in line. Erich didn't want to ride even though it was a "baby coaster". Mom and Erich went off to do some exploring and Alek and I joined the queue.

Well the wait was NOT 30 minutes. By the time we got off the ride and met back up with Mom and Erich nearly an hour had passed. What does one do while stuck in a really long line? Take pictures!

Naturally since the ride is themed around Hippogriffs the theming along the queue is Hagrid's hut! They did a great job on this as well, looked just like the movies!

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

Doesn't Alek look thrilled? I won't lie, I also was pretty bored standing in that enormously long line.

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

Buckbeak!

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

One of the things about Universal that really bothered me is their anti-camera policy. Pretty much every single ride had a rule about no camera on the ride. Not no flash photography like at WDW but no cameras at all. How annoying! Well, I disregarded that rule and pulled my camera out anyways so I could get a good picture of Buckbeak as we passed by and also of the surrounding area from a nice viewpoint.

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

There is that poorly disguised brilliant white ride arena again. :sad2:

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

Was the ride worth an hour wait, nope! Our mistake. We won't go on it again unless there is a really short line. It was fun to see Hagrid's hut and Buckbeak but not really worth standing in line for an hour.

I snapped a few more shots of Hogwarts before we met back up with Mom and Erich.

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

What did Mom and Erich do while they waited for us? They explored Hogsmeade and looked around the shops. Here are their pictures.

First Erich's pictures:

Salazar Slytherin

IMG_2869.jpg

Godric Gryffindor

IMG_2870.jpg

Helga Hufflepuff

IMG_2871.jpg

Rowena Ravenclaw

IMG_2872.jpg

If you buy a chocolate frog it comes with a trading card inside and these are what they would look like.

Mom and Erich ran into the Hogwarts Express conductor

IMG_2873.jpg

Here are all the pictures that Mom took that morning while we were on Forbidden Journey and Flight of the Hippogriff

IMG_8121.jpg

IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8152.jpg

IMG_8153.jpg

IMG_8158.jpg

IMG_8160.jpg

IMG_8162.jpg

IMG_8167.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg

May 17th continued

It had gotten rather packed in the Wizarding World by the time that we were done with Flight of the Hippogriff. I wanted to check out all the shops but there was no way I was even going to attempt that with the crowd level being what it was.

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

My plan was for us to return at the end of the day and hopefully by then the crowds would have died down. We couldn't leave the Wizarding World without doing one more thing though, we had to get a butterbeer!

I knew that we should avoid the line at the outdoor Butterbeer cart and instead we headed into The Hog's Head/Three Broomsticks. They are both in the same building but have separate lines.

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

The line at the Three Broomsticks was a decent size but we weren't after food, just butterbeer, so we veered over to the Hog's Head where there were only 5 other people in line.

You can get butterbeer in two forms: frozen and regular. Everything I had read said that the frozen was better but I wanted to try both and make my own decision. I got one of the butterbeers in the souvenir cup and the other in a regular plastic cup. The price was not bad, right around $10 I believe for both drinks, that included the souvenir cup.

Drinks in hand we went out back to the patio as the indoor seating was rather full. The back patio however was deserted.

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

The butterbeer was delicious! I don't really know how to describe it, the closest in taste would be cream soda.

Even though everybody on the dis seems to prefer the frozen version of butterbeer we much preferred the regular! I am glad that we opted to try both versions.

After we finished off our butterbeers it was time to move on and explore the rest of the park, we weren't just there to see Harry Potter! ;)

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

Here is a very short video I took as we were exciting Hogsmeade.

Video:Hogsmeade

Almost as soon as we exited the Wizarding World the crowds disappeared. We had the rest of the park to explore, where would we head to next?

we leave for universal in 9 days! cant wait your trip report is great and making me even more excited for our vacation..looking forward to more

we leave for universal in 9 days! cant wait your trip report is great and making me even more excited for our vacation..looking forward to more

You are so close! I have my fall break week coming up from school but the only place I am going is Ohio. I think you will be having more fun on your vacation. ;)

May 17th continued

Almost as soon as we exited the Wizarding World the crowds disappeared. The next part of the park we were going to explore was The Lost Continent. I was looking forward to this section as I was into the theme from the pictures I had seen and we were planning to have lunch at Mythos which looked like a really cool restaurant and consistently gets glowing reviews. Here is the "shocking" thing about table service restaurants at Universal, you don't need reservations!

IMG_2256.jpg

Hmmm, something doesn't belong here.... Do you spot it?

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8211.jpg

IMG_8220.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

We stopped in the Coat of Arms shop, Alek and Erich admired all the replica weapons.

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

We were all starting to get pretty hungry so we decided that it was time for lunch. Even though I had been reassured by the Universal Disers that a reservation was not needed I was still a bit nervous about whether or not we would be able to get seated.

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_8221.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

Well, they were able to seat us right away! We opted to eat inside but they also have outdoor seating. We were given a nice spacious booth next to a window.

Even before we were seated I was impressed, the restaurant was so pretty and I loved the theme since I love mythology!

People are always asking what the menu and pricing is like so I took pictures. I know I had a hard time finding a current menu when I was doing my research for the trip so I hope this helps others out!

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

There was a good selection and the prices were not bad!

IMG_2269.jpg

I loved that they had a drink called Ambrosia, how fitting!

IMG_2271.jpg

An explanation of the theme and design of the restaurant.

IMG_2272.jpg

I got up to explore and use the washroom while we waited for our food.

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

The bread they served was very yummy! We ate all of it!

IMG_2284.jpg

Mom ordered up some Ambrosia

IMG_2285.jpg

I liked the name, didn't like the drink.

We were pretty unadventurous and ordered burgers but they were delicious!

IMG_2286.jpg

Mom's meal

IMG_2287.jpg

We all really enjoyed our food and the atmosphere of the restaurant. We would definitely return! It helped that the bill wasn't outrageously expensive as well.

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

Here is a quick 30 second video of the interior of the restaurant: Video:Mythos

Isn't Mythos pretty? I highly recommend eating here if/when you visit Islands of Adventure!

Thanks for your post. It actually gives me a better insight into what to expect on our trip. I definitely want to eat at Mythos now too. I love mythology, and that restaurant looks really beautiful. :)

ETA: Ya no Ambrosia for me, but maybe DH will be adventurous and try it. LOL! Doubtful, since he is more of a once in awhile beer person. Ha-ha!

Thanks for your post. It actually gives me a better insight into what to expect on our trip. I definitely want to eat at Mythos now too. I love mythology, and that restaurant looks really beautiful. :)

ETA: Ya no Ambrosia for me, but maybe DH will be adventurous and try it. LOL! Doubtful, since he is more of a once in awhile beer person. Ha-ha!

Mythos was a great lunch spot and if you like mythology you will love the theme and also the theme of the neighbouring Poseidon's Fury. :thumbsup2

May 17th continued

After our yummy lunch at Mythos we headed across the way to Poseidon's Fury: Escape From The Lost City. I wanted to visit this attraction as I liked the theme of the area and also the name drew me in because as you all know by now I am a mythology buff.

The entrance to the attraction takes you through the ruins of a temple and then into the temple where an archaeological dig has been taking place.

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

Looking back at Mythos from the entrance

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

Mythos in the background again

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

Once you enter the Temple there are informational signs up explaining the work being done at the temple and the strange occurrences that have been occurring. Take the time to read these if you see this attraction as they will enrich your experience.

IMG_2317.jpg

The first sign basically says that "The Global Discovery Group" has been investigating the temple's origins for over a year and explains that strange occurrences have been going on ever since its construction 2000 years earlier. They have yet to discover any hidden secrets.

IMG_2318.jpg

This one says they believe that there are hidden chambers inside that may contain treasure, something powerful or a hidden connection to the seas. They believe once they find out the secrets of the temple they will find out the secrets of The Lost Continent.

IMG_2319.jpg

The temple was originally built in tribute to Poseidon and only the Priests of the Inner Circle were allowed inside. Then around 400 BC a great clash occurred inside and the energy from this clash destroyed the temple and everything around it thus explaining the ruins.

So you can see that if you don't stop to read the signs you are missing out on part of the story.

You eventually end up in a hall where you then wait to enter the show.

The room was decorated with paintings on the ceiling and walls, nice touch.

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

You are then lead into the main chamber of the temple where a junior archaeologist is giving you a tour and explaining the importance of the temple.

IMG_2325.jpg

Of course, this is where things start to go wrong. You end up finding the hidden chambers and go off exploring with your guide and everything goes wrong from there. I was naughty and flaunted the stupid no camera rules and took a few pictures. I won't explain anymore of the plot so that you are surprised if you go.

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

Just a warning, you can get a little wet in here so it can be a little chilly. You don't get soaked or anything like that but there are water effects but there are also heat effects so it doesn't last for too long.

Overall we enjoyed the show. Was it our favourite in the park? No but we didn't regret spending the time on it. However, if you are there on a really busy day and you have to cut something off your list because there is no way you can fit everything in this would be one to cut.

After exiting we took some more pictures and checked out the gift shop nearby.

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

After Poseidon's Fury we decided that we were done with The Lost Continent but before leaving we explored the exterior of Mythos. There is a path that you can take to the back of the restaurant which offers great views across the water to the other "islands".

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

Super Hero Island

I was really looking forward to trying out The Hulk, it looked awesome!

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

Toon Lagoon

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

This is the outdoor seating area for Mythos, offers some nice views!

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

Jurassic Park

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

After leaving The Lost Continent we moved on to Seuss Landing!

All caught up! Loving your TR so far! We just returned from our first trip to US/IOA last week and we had a great time!!! Seeing your pictures is helping me relive my trip :goodvibes

We did not eat at Mythos or go to Poseidon's Fury but did have a funny little session with the talking fountain, lol. My daughter found him quite amusing :rotfl: Loved WWOHP!!! Forbidden Journey was awesome!!! I totally agree with you about FOTH - it was fun to see Buckbeak and Hagrid's hut, but we would never wait in line for that ride again! The ride is only 60 seconds long and we waited over 45 minutes in line. When the ride was over, my daughter turned to me and said (in a not too pleased voice) "That's IT?????" :lmao: Did you guys go on Dragon Challenge? We went on the Blue side. Very fun coaster but we were all a little dizzy afterwards from all the inversions. None of us ever felt sick after doing Forbidden Journey.

I used the Owl Post to send a surprise postcard home to my daughter. I mailed it from Hogsmeade the last day of our trip and it arrived at our house about 4-5 days later. She was so excited when she found it in the mail! It totally reminded her of the fun vacation we had just had and she keeps the postcard in her room :wizard:

My daughter bought Harry's wand. We did not go to the show at Ollivander's because the line was always so long. She wanted Harry's wand because Harry is her favorite character.

Personally, our family enjoyed Islands of Adventure more than Universal Studios (although we all loved The Revenge of the Mummy!). Looking forward to hearing more about your day at IOA and your trip!! :goodvibes

All caught up! Loving your TR so far! We just returned from our first trip to US/IOA last week and we had a great time!!! Seeing your pictures is helping me relive my trip :goodvibes

Welcome back! I'm so glad that you had a great vacation! :goodvibes

We did not eat at Mythos or go to Poseidon's Fury but did have a funny little session with the talking fountain, lol. My daughter found him quite amusing :rotfl:

We completely missed the talking fountain. Something to discover next time!

Did you guys go on Dragon Challenge? We went on the Blue side. Very fun coaster but we were all a little dizzy afterwards from all the inversions. None of us ever felt sick after doing Forbidden Journey.

We did do Dragon Challenge but not until later in the day when we returned to WWOHP. That is kinda funny that you felt dizzy after it but not Forbidden Journey when it was the complete opposite for us! :laughing:

I used the Owl Post to send a surprise postcard home to my daughter. I mailed it from Hogsmeade the last day of our trip and it arrived at our house about 4-5 days later. She was so excited when she found it in the mail! It totally reminded her of the fun vacation we had just had and she keeps the postcard in her room :wizard:

That is so fun! I think it is great how you can send stuff by "owl post" from Hogsmeade. My cousin loved her Hogwarts letter that I sent and it is pinned up in her room on her Harry Potter wall. :laughing:

Personally, our family enjoyed Islands of Adventure more than Universal Studios (although we all loved The Revenge of the Mummy!). Looking forward to hearing more about your day at IOA and your trip!! :goodvibes

That is how we felt too in regards to the two parks.

Love your report. Looks like you had a terrific trip. We're heading out next week for a quick visit with my daughter who works at Universal. So, like you, although we're diehard Disney fans, we will be doing a couple days at Universal. We ate at Mythos last year and loved it too. I had the Risotto of the day and it was outstanding.

Glad that you & mom both got over the meltdown quickly and appreciated each other before it snowballed into anything that would have dampened the day. I appreciate your willingness to share it on the boards also so people can see that a little episode doesn't have to spoil the day. :cheer2:

Kathy

Love your report. Looks like you had a terrific trip. We're heading out next week for a quick visit with my daughter who works at Universal. So, like you, although we're diehard Disney fans, we will be doing a couple days at Universal. We ate at Mythos last year and loved it too. I had the Risotto of the day and it was outstanding.

Glad that you & mom both got over the meltdown quickly and appreciated each other before it snowballed into anything that would have dampened the day. I appreciate your willingness to share it on the boards also so people can see that a little episode doesn't have to spoil the day. :cheer2:

Kathy

Hi Kathy! Yep, I try to be as honest as possible when writing my reports so people know what the vacation was really like. I could write as though it was all sunshine and roses but that is not realistic, there are always hiccups, you just have to get over them and not let them ruin the day/trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter