FIFA World Cup 2022 thread

World Cup excitement scale: How excited are you for the tournament?

Votes: 26 52.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters
Well, France’s two quick late goals added much excitement.

But I’d like to see sudden death OT instead of two 15 minute OT periods.

Or keep the OT, but if still tied, go to sudden death, no matter how long it takes.

No penalty kicks to determine a championship.

Then there would be no need to watch the rest of the game with that way of thinking. Happens al the time in sports.
My point is Argentina had control of the game and let it get away from them. Then had a 1 goal lead in ET and let THAT get away. Sort of like a football team having a two touchdown lead with less than 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter, then giving up the tying score.

@RedAngie, HS soccer uses "Golden Goal" in it's extra time. I've had kids on the winning side and on the losing side of the rule. It's no better or worse than PKs (actually KFTM... Kicks From The Mark). As the announcers said before today's kicks... it's not luck, it's talent and mentality. I kind of like the suggestion I've heard that when you go to ET, you take a player off from each team (so 10v10 barring ejections).

Thank for the thread Buzz!
It's been alot of fun and quite a ride!! :yay::jumping1:
The fun is not over yet. More soccer threads to come. European leagues are back in action starting this week. The USMNT/USWNT are back in action next month. MLS starts in February. UEFA Champions and Europa leagues also return. The USA and Canada play Nations League matches in March. The Gold Cup is going to be in the USA in June. The FIFA Women’s World Cup is happening next summer in Australia/New Zealand. The year of soccer is just getting started.

Why? To me this is the worst possible way to decide what was a fantastic game. Either go back to Golden Goal in ET or keep running ET until there is a winner, like in hockey. To me, this would be like deciding the World Series with a HR derby or a Super Bowl with a field goal kicking contest.
I think you'd have to make some major substitution rule changes if you keep extending ET. Even hockey goes to a shootout, and that's after only playing 65 minutes.

I think you'd have to make some major substitution rule changes if you keep extending ET. Even hockey goes to a shootout, and that's after only playing 65 minutes.
Not in the playoffs. There have been many times that games have gone to multiple full OT periods in the playoffs at all levels. I recall a HS playoff game that went 6 OT before someone finally scored to end it.
I'd be on board with one additional sub for each ET period, anything would be better than PK to decide the World Cup.

Why? To me this is the worst possible way to decide what was a fantastic game. Either go back to Golden Goal in ET or keep running ET until there is a winner, like in hockey. To me, this would be like deciding the World Series with a HR derby or a Super Bowl with a field goal kicking contest.
One, because of the safety for the players’s health. Two, because the best players in the world can miss penalties. Three, it’s tradition.

One, because of the safety for the players’s health. Two, because the best players in the world can miss penalties. Three, it’s tradition.

Sorry the health argument may be legit in pool play but not in a championship. As was stated earlier, the NHL uses sudden death in the playoffs and over the last few years there are been multiple games that have required a number of extra 20 minute periods to decide games. And these guys play every 2 days.

I'll take on points 2 and 3. Just because the player can miss penalties doesn't change the fact you're reducing a fantastic team game to a one on one skills competition. If we are going to go by tradition, the oldest soccer tournament in recorded history featured a 60 minute extra session with a golden goal, the golden goal or silver goal was in place in FIFA from 1993 until 2004 and by that logic we should go back to three substitutions per side instead of five, allow keepers to pick up passes back to them and get rid of all the technological improvements over the last 90+ years.

Not in the playoffs. There have been many times that games have gone to multiple full OT periods in the playoffs at all levels. I recall a HS playoff game that went 6 OT before someone finally scored to end it.
I'd be on board with one additional sub for each ET period, anything would be better than PK to decide the World Cup.
I agree going to PK doesn't mean the "best" team wins. Before going to multiple ET (I mean isn't 120 minutes enough, even with an extra sub in ET, which already exists), I think you subtract a player from each team. That allows strategy (do you pull a defender (doubtful), mid, or forward), as well as skill and teamwork. I'd even say the player you take off in the OT can get subbed back on "free" (ie: doesn't take away from your sub ability).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter