• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fireworks Shaming

They’re legal where we are…outside of the city limits. Yes they’re noisy, yes we have a dog who hates them but it’s perfectly legal except when it’s in violation of the noise ordinance after 10 pm. But we tolerate it unless it goes on all night, then we call the sheriff. But really I think solving your own problems like the above mentioned soldier and people who blast music for their dogs or whatever is the way to go. We pop our stash about 9-ish (or whenever darkness falls), clean up the mess and go to bed. Be courteous but don’t expect others to change their behavior just for you. That’s absurd.

I live in the Los Angeles suburbs. Our neighborhood Facebook group is full of the messages about the fireworks and how they affect animals and soldiers and others with PTSD because they are really loud. I've lived in this neighborhood since '65, and it's fairly recent that the fireworks that are shot off set off car alarms and cause my house to shake (the FB group says that they are M80s being set off). We've had the home fireworks for many years in addition to the neighborhood legal ones. Several years ago one landed on our roof and our house caught on fire (back in '79 we had a shake shingle roof). Luckily, my father and brother were home so they were able to grab the hose and start watering it down until the fire department showed up. Just the roof was burned and the whole interior of our house had to be repainted, and other stuff due to the fire and water damage, but it was relatively small, thank goodness. About 5 years after that a nearby palm tree caught fire (on the cross street so not too close to our house).

I tend to stay home just to make sure that the house stays safe and keep our animals in closed rooms. Other than that I just deal with the loud booms and don't freak out about them. Still, I wish the neighbors would stay with the safe and sane, and leave the exploding fireworks to the main venues, like parks and stadiums.

Our neighborhood message boards have been going nuts with people saying if you are lighting fireworks, you are a terrible person. That we should ask the people on our street if it is ok to set off fireworks, to make sure their pets are ok with it.

At one point, someone wrote "Lady, your damn dog barks 24 hours a day and disturbs our neighborhood every single day of the year. You obviously don't care about your dog any other time." It got over 100 likes.

Also, at some point, a woman mentioned about PTSD and soldiers. A soldier that said to wear headphones and blast some music for one night. A few people were angry that he solved his own problem.

But the chatter is mainly focused on animals. So many people wanting others to stop traditions because of pets.

Anything like this happening in your neighborhood?

No but I wouldn't know unless they knocked on my door. I don't read complaining, whiney drivel on the internet.

It's illegal here so it's a common post on Nextdoor. Then again across state lines a guy 5 days ago was making his own (illegal to do so) to sell fireworks blew up a duplex and he died, his 21 week pregnant significant other was injured, 2 of his children one of whom was 3 who broke both his legs and 3 other children were minority injured.

We have some inconsiderate people too that shoot them off for days or late into the night and we are surrounded by trees and woods so it always makes me even more stressed (houses burn down just from fire pits). I enjoy watching them with noise reduction headphones but save it for professional displays. I have sensitive ears and 4th of July was awful growing up, very stressful with random loud noises throughout the day. It may sound overly used but animals and those with PTSD or are sensitive to loud noises are around. I'd agree it would come across as hypocritical to complain about fireworks with animals but own a dog that you allow to bark all the time although that doesn't negate the concern towards animals and fireworks.

Maybe the right word isn't shaming though.

Luckily we live out in the country, so the pop and bang of gunfire is not unusual, and my large herd of horses are mostly unaffected by the need of the locals to blow stuff up.

However, I personally feel fireworks do not belong in the hands of anyone but professionals.

Be courteous but don’t expect others to change their behavior just for you. That’s absurd.
Around here it's all throughout the day. At my mom's house the next street over would do them until the police was called (it's illegal), they'd wait then start back up. The solution mentioned in the OP was not realistic nor feasible for the situation.

I wouldn't mind if it was one or two nights a year. Where I live it goes on for weeks at a time. It's still broad daylight outside and there's already a steady cacophony of booms. You can't even see them! The close ones can be pretty startling. My poor kitties have been sleeping under the beds (instead of on them) for a few nights. Even the one that never used to mind has been way more skittish because they are closer and go on longer than they used to.

That said, it is nice to not have to go anywhere to see fireworks. I just go out on the roof of my building with ear plugs and get a beautiful view for hours.

I'm setting off some legal fireworks in the street in front of our house this evening after the sun goes down and I'm not sorry. Some people started setting them off last night. Fireworks are also common here on New Year's Eve and Memorial Day...the local grocery stores sell packs of them at only those 3 times of year. But if you want to drive 6 hr to New Mexico, you can buy them there 365 days a year.

I'm setting off some legal fireworks in the street in front of our house this evening after the sun goes down and I'm not sorry. Some people started setting them off last night. Fireworks are also common here on New Year's Eve and Memorial Day...the local grocery stores sell packs of them at only those 3 times of year. But if you want to drive 6 hr to New Mexico, you can buy them there 365 days a year.
I don't think anyone has issues with doing fireworks. It's when they do them at all hours of the night and into the am. Around me they do them till 3am.. in a dense population. It's really aggravating.

i Live in a nice neighborhood. Last year a group of beer swigging, doofuses decided that since COVID stopped all city fireworks, well this bunch decided to create their own display in our community park! The park is adjacent to a golf course so in their tiny minds they assumed that it was ok Well it got out of hand quickly, cops called, the doofus brigade was quick to call everyone in the neighborhood snitches... such a great read on Next Door!

So, I went to the dude's show - music, free sparklers for kids, free beer for parents, the pledge of allegiance, the national anthem, and the best fireworks show I've seen in years...yeah, I can see why the 2 communities and pool board decided to work with him this year vs against...this guy obviously has experience in the industry...

Every person in both connected neighborhoods were together and happy (so many lawn chairs) - so perfectly American, I'm so thankful to those who made it happen...

And as someone said, when you can walk out and get a professional level show with no personal effort today - I'm blessed.

Our neighborhood message boards have been going nuts with people saying if you are lighting fireworks, you are a terrible person. That we should ask the people on our street if it is ok to set off fireworks, to make sure their pets are ok with it.

At one point, someone wrote "Lady, your damn dog barks 24 hours a day and disturbs our neighborhood every single day of the year. You obviously don't care about your dog any other time." It got over 100 likes.

Also, at some point, a woman mentioned about PTSD and soldiers. A soldier that said to wear headphones and blast some music for one night. A few people were angry that he solved his own problem.

But the chatter is mainly focused on animals. So many people wanting others to stop traditions because of pets.

Anything like this happening in your neighborhood?
No.

They don't care about it in my neighborhood either. It's cute that a lot of you say that it's been going on for "days" in your neighborhood and it's driving you crazy. Try living in my neighborhood. People bought fireworks and explosives three or four months ago and have been doing it nearly every single Friday and Saturday night for months. Today is July 4th. They will still be setting off fireworks in September around here. It doesn't end. It's ridiculous! We have an 11:00 p.m. noise curfew in the township limits here. They'll still be setting the fireworks off at 2:00 in the morning. The police won't do anything about it.

I have mixed feelings about fireworks this year - usually I love them - but tonight I’m sitting with my mother in the nursing home listening to her struggle for breath these last few nights and it’s been nothing but Boom Boom Boom since Friday…really, who sets off big fireworks near a nursing home…

I’m on next door. I posted a nice please don’t shoot them off on Memorial Day because many veterans have PTSD and my father a three tour Vietnam vet is one of them. It has stayed relatively pleasant which is shocking for next door 🤣. I live in a state where it’s legal. I fully expect it as does my father for several days leading up to the forth and several days after. I love fireworks…like really love them. I enjoy not having to go any further than my deck or my driveway, but as my father has gotten older I’ve seen the affects of them. I just wish on Memorial Day, people would as well. Happy 4th! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

I don't mind it on the Fourth, though I don't like that it's been going on for a week and until about 2 AM the last couple of nights. I mean, wait until dark, set 'em off, be done by 9:30 or 10 and that's all fine to me. Technically they are ilegal here within the city limits, but it's never been enforced. I don't remember it though being like an all-night every night for a week affair until the past few years though.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter