First look at Virgin Voyages cruise line

I signed up for email updates long ago, I really think this could be a game changer. It will be interesting to see what kind of clientele they attract. Will it be young, old, a combo of both? If it turns out to be a party ship I'm not interested but if it is along the lines of RCCL, not quite a party ship but entertaining, then I'm in.

Ive only cruised DCL (even without my kids the very first time) and would totally try this cruise line! The rooms look intriguing

We have a deposit to book one of the first cruises. I would not trust many companies that are just getting into a this business, but Richard Branson certainly seems to make cool things happen.

They have the original president from Disney Cruise.

We have only sailed Disney up until now, trying NCL next week and looking forward to virgin.

We have a deposit to book one of the first cruises. I would not trust many companies that are just getting into a this business, but Richard Branson certainly seems to make cool things happen.

They have the original president from Disney Cruise.

We have only sailed Disney up until now, trying NCL next week and looking forward to virgin.
Interesting! I didn't realize a former DCL exec was involved....hmmm, that's promising!

I fly Virgin Atlantic when possible and loved Virgin America, so I am very interested to see what Virgin Voyages has to offer!
What do you like about Virgin Atlantic? If we go to Europe next summer, we most likely will fly them because of their Delta alliance, so I'm wondering what makes them different/special?

Looks nice, but the bed doesn't sound like it would be very comfy. I have a bad back from a car accident, so sleeping on something that's a fold up mattress type of thing and not a real one doesn't sound appealing to me.

I like the friendliness of their service, I find British Air flight crews a little more reserved. In their 747s the Premium Economy is in the upper cabin on its own, which I also like.

Looks nice, but the bed doesn't sound like it would be very comfy. I have a bad back from a car accident, so sleeping on something that's a fold up mattress type of thing and not a real one doesn't sound appealing to me.
From what I read, it's not a fold up bed. The bed is basically twin sized mattress placed at right angles to each other during the day:
b69ec1867de3be49e23890573f09a127

And then the one that lines up against the wall swing around to meet the other one making a double/queen bed (much like other cruise line beds)
4162cdfecca9ed2604cc79c2bb838a04.jpg

From what I read, it's not a fold up bed. The bed is basically twin sized mattress placed at right angles to each other during the day:
b69ec1867de3be49e23890573f09a127

And then the one that lines up against the wall swing around to meet the other one making a double/queen bed (much like other cruise line beds)
View attachment 379670

The article said the bed would fold away for day use. Your description with the pics makes more sense though. Either way, it still doesn't sound comfy to me. If I didn't have a bad back, then it probably wouldn't bother me. We only go on a vacation once a year. We have about another 10 -12yrs until we will be empty-nesters and able to vacation without our dd. Until then we'll probably stick with DCL.

Last edited:
The "rockstar vibe" thing isn't my thing, but if its fun and the other public spaces are nice, I'd consider trying them! I DO want to see Cuba...

I'd consider it, but I think the whole concept of having the bed turn into a couch so you can entertain is super weird. Is this a thing? Do other cruisers think, "Damn, I'd invite all these people back to my cabin, but there's no where to sit." Aren't there bars and lounges and quiet areas of the ship for hanging out? And I'm sure our room would be messier than I'd want other people to see.

I'd consider it, but I think the whole concept of having the bed turn into a couch so you can entertain is super weird. Is this a thing? Do other cruisers think, "Damn, I'd invite all these people back to my cabin, but there's no where to sit." Aren't there bars and lounges and quiet areas of the ship for hanging out? And I'm sure our room would be messier than I'd want other people to see.

Good point!!

When we were on the Sept (2018) Alaska cruise, during the tour of the ship, the CMs were commenting about Virgin's Cruise line and they (the CMs) were bombarded with HR requests to jump ship for Virgin. Virgin wanted the "Disney trained" CMs.

I thought the same thing, and I also thought, hmmm, do I want to be next door to people "entertaining" in their room? Sounds noisy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter