• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First RC Cruise Coming Up. Any Suggestions?

Rigby

Mouseketeer
Hi! We’ve been on four Disney cruises and just booked our first RC cruise for next month. Any suggestions? Should we pay for the nicer restaurants package? Book excursions? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

DW & I have only done three cruises (all RC... 1 Oasis, 2x Freedom) and getting ready for our fourth (Mariner). We did the specialty restaurant package on Oasis, but we were already celebrating an anniversary. On our Freedom cruises and Mariner, we're sticking with the MDR (although DW & I are signed up for a specialty lunch).

Find out if the ship you're on suggests/requires reservations for shows. Get those made as soon as you can (possibly not until you board). If you can find Cruise Compasses for your ship and similar sailings (7 day Eastern Caribbean, 4 day Western Caribbean, etc), look those over to give you an idea of what you'll be able to do.

Know that there is a lot of opportunity to spend extra money on board. Drinking plans, dining plans, cupcake classes, tours, etc. There's also a lot of free stuff to do.

I also suggest going to Cruise Critic, and reading the forums/reviews over there.

What ship? Where are you going?
We tend to stick to the MDR (main dining room) as we are happy with our food and like having the same waiters (if on traditional dining) but some do enjoy the specialty. You can always try just one or a 3 night package but not necessary.

For drink package, they've gotten quite pricey but are you a big soda drinker, juices and coffee, alcohol? You might want to take a look at the packages and see if they are worth it to you. I think specialty coffees go for $5 or so, cocktails about $13-$14.

For the ports, it really depends on where you are going. You can do better with private tours but we've booked just for the comfort of being on Royal's time. If going to CoCo Cay, then we book the waterpark as soon as it's a decent price (as we have kids).

Whatever you book, keep watching the cruise planner. If the price goes down, you can always cancel and rebook.

If you are on a ship with production shows or activities that need booking , I'd suggest you book when you get on the ship so you can get your preference.

Royal cruises are amazing. You won't be dissapointed.

What ship? Where are you going?
We tend to stick to the MDR (main dining room) as we are happy with our food and like having the same waiters (if on traditional dining) but some do enjoy the specialty. You can always try just one or a 3 night package but not necessary.

For drink package, they've gotten quite pricey but are you a big soda drinker, juices and coffee, alcohol? You might want to take a look at the packages and see if they are worth it to you. I think specialty coffees go for $5 or so, cocktails about $13-$14.

For the ports, it really depends on where you are going. You can do better with private tours but we've booked just for the comfort of being on Royal's time. If going to CoCo Cay, then we book the waterpark as soon as it's a decent price (as we have kids).

Whatever you book, keep watching the cruise planner. If the price goes down, you can always cancel and rebook.

If you are on a ship with production shows or activities that need booking , I'd suggest you book when you get on the ship so you can get your preference.

Royal cruises are amazing. You won't be dissapointed.
Thank you! We’ll be on The Mariner of the Seas and we’re going to Haiti and Coco Cay next month early June for a 5 night cruise. My friend said his last cruise he paid for the water park ($100 a piece) for his family of four and they waited an hour for one slide. He said he would never do it again. You had a better experience? Is the Haiti stop on their own private beach or is it like most ports with shops and restaurants everywhere? Thinking we might have to book that alcohol package. Appreciate the advice!!

Thank you! We’ll be on The Mariner of the Seas and we’re going to Haiti and Coco Cay next month early June for a 5 night cruise. My friend said his last cruise he paid for the water park ($100 a piece) for his family of four and they waited an hour for one slide. He said he would never do it again. You had a better experience? Is the Haiti stop on their own private beach or is it like most ports with shops and restaurants everywhere? Thinking we might have to book that alcohol package. Appreciate the advice!!
Mariner is a great ship! Not too big, not too small. It's DH's favorite ship (for the size) and DD's favorite (for the Sky Pad).

Yeah, CoCo Cay prices really varies. If you were going later in the year, I'd mention to watch Black Friday sales but your cruise is before that. When we went in March, our Anthem ship was only 63% full and we were the only ship so no issues with lines. I think the longest line was for the main one and it took our kids 20-30 min. Our next cruise is Oasis next March and there is another ship in port with us (plus I'm sure full capacity by then) so definitely won't be so lucky.

Is there another ship in port with you? That does make a difference (look up cruise mapper site to check). Either way, CoCo Cay is amazing with the changes they've done. They have that huge pool and of course the beach area. You can pay for extras but you don't have to.

I've been to the Haiti stop but it was a long time ago and it's also been built up. It's their other private island. I remember as well doing a boat tour when we went.

That's a great itinerary...both private islands. Food is include with both. Also the drink package works at both stops which is nice!

Enjoy your cruise!

OK, not straight up cruise advice or firsthand advice with Thrill, but we are intentionally skipping the Thrill water park on CocoCay because of something in this vein. Lines at water parks (any water park) aren't uncommon, so when I heard the same was true of Thrill and there would be two ships at CocoCay on our day in that port...I did some research. I compared Thrill price-wise to Volcano Bay, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach and Aquatica. I don't know where you're sailing from and if you'll have any extra time for a water park, but all four of these Orlando parks would be noticeably cheaper for our family of four (like $75-165 savings). In light of this, we're just planning to snorkel on CocoCay and the kids opted to just skip water parks for this trip altogether.

I did book the drink package. I learned right after a price increase that prices go up and down before sailing and that sales of varying kinds can happen at any given time. So, I locked it in just in case it went up again...which it did. So, while I didn't lock at the cheapest price I'd seen (wound up paying $42 more b/c of this) I did save myself from being hit with the next price increase ($70 savings). I also experienced something similar with my kids and the non-alcoholic package.

Thanks so much everyone! My friend who booked the cruise for us, and has sailed with RC before, says that because we’re in a suite they hold pool chairs for us and we have reserved seating for the shows. Also special seating in the specialty restaurants. Is that what others have experienced? I just purchased the unlimited dining package and the adult beverage package. Seems like the way to go. And we booked the Labadee Snorkel Safari. If anyone has done that I’d love to hear about it! :yay:

Last edited:

Hi! We’ve been on four Disney cruises and just booked our first RC cruise for next month. Any suggestions? Should we pay for the nicer restaurants package? Book excursions? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!
The answer kind of depends on your likes/dislikes and on what ship you are sailing. We like the Oasis class ships and usually book either the 3-night dining package or the Unlimited package depending on price and if we have any other plans. But we sail in suites so our regular dining is done in the suite restaurant when not at the up-charge restaurants.

As far as excursions go, what ports are you stopping at and have you been there before?

We are sailing on Mariner in August and did so 2 years ago as well. We went to Coco Cay that trip and had a great time with all the free things. We plunked ourselves down on the beach and swam there and went to the pool. We loved the food available and had an absolute blast. We ate in the main dining room and everything was awesome. We are very much looking forward to our 4 night cruise to Mexico in August

The answer kind of depends on your likes/dislikes and on what ship you are sailing. We like the Oasis class ships and usually book either the 3-night dining package or the Unlimited package depending on price and if we have any other plans. But we sail in suites so our regular dining is done in the suite restaurant when not at the up-charge restaurants.

As far as excursions go, what ports are you stopping at and have you been there before?
We’re on the Mariner of the Sea

We’re on the Mariner of the Seas and we’re also in a suite. I bought the unlimited dining package but what is the suite restaurant all about? Haven’t heard of that yet. We’re going to Labadee and CoCo. Booked the snorkel Safari at Labadee. That’s it for excursions so far.

We’re on the Mariner of the Seas and we’re also in a suite. I bought the unlimited dining package but what is the suite restaurant all about? Haven’t heard of that yet. We’re going to Labadee and CoCo. Booked the snorkel Safari at Labadee. That’s it for excursions so far.
I've never sailed on the Mariner so I'm not familiar with what the suite dining option might be. Sorry. The Oasis Class ships have a separate restaurant called Coastal Kitchen which is just for suite guests

On the Mariner I wouldn't pay extra for a dining package. We have gone to Izzumi for sushi, but you can sign up on board and only pay for what you order (package was too much food for us). I would suggest you try the free options before committing to a dining package.

At Coco Cay, we have reserved a cabana and just used the free chairs/umbrellas. The prices of cabanas have gotten so expensive though! At Labadee, they also have plenty of free places to sit. I got a great deal on a cabana at Columbus Cove and I thought it was worth what I paid and it included floating mats. It is the farthest location from the ship, but my family didn't mind the walk.

We have paid for drink packages, but the costs are getting high enough that we are planning to pay as we go the next trip. I did buy the Refreshment package for my kids who drink a crazy amount of smoothies, milk shakes, virgin drinks, powerade, etc. If you do have the deluxe package, you can get a bottle of water with your alcoholic beverage which can be nice (and slows down how much alcohol I drink). If the price drops after you purchase, you can cancel and repurchase at the lower price. This is true for just about anything in the cruise planner.

If you do have the deluxe package, you can get a bottle of water with your alcoholic beverage which can be nice (and slows down how much alcohol I drink).
The Refreshment Package also includes water (and coffee & juice)...
Wake up with the aroma of your favorite freshly brewed premium coffee or tea and enjoy breakfast with fresh-squeezed juices. Keep hydrated all day long with unlimited fountain soda refills in your Coca-Cola souvenir cup or a refreshing bottle of still or sparkling water. At night, pull up a seat at the bar and order your choice of non-alcoholic cocktails.

We’re on the Mariner of the Sea

If you are on Facebook, join the group " CoCo Cay - The Perfect Day" It has over 44,000 members and you can ask any question about it and it will be answered immediately. Plus you get to see everyone's photos. 8-)

We also cruised Disney first, and we were afraid RC would be a let-down. Nope, we preferred it. Before I answer your questions, I must admit that we've been out of the cruising world for maybe a decade -- we didn't vacation much while we were putting our kids through college, then Covid came up, but now we're retiring and are looking to make up for lost time -- anyway, consider that my info may be stale.

Nicer restaurants -- I say no, don't pay. We have been pleased with the food in the main dining room. RC offers (at the bottom of their menus) a couple "upgrades": lobster, steak, and surf & turf for an extra fee. It's cheaper /more flexible to give yourself permission to order those things (if you wish) rather than taking the whole group to a specialty restaurant.
Bounce-off comment -- don't relegate yourself just to the buffet and the main dining room. Look into all the other small venues they have; for example, the British pub sometimes offers a lunch buffet with pub-type options. We really enjoyed that. And my husband probably ate Cafe Promenade's ham-and-cheese croissants at a rate of a dozen-a-day.

Book your own private excursions. You'll be in a smaller group, and you'll have more control over what you do during your excursion. That they're cheaper is just a bonus. You can get loads of information and reviews online.
To give you an example of the difference between a private excursion and a ship excursion: When we were in Jamaica, we took a private excursion to Dunn's River Falls. We were literally the second family to climb the falls for the day, and we had the place to ourselves. We had a blast, and as we were leaving, the cruise ship busses were just arriving -- hundreds of people crowded in. Our tablemates were in that group, and they described later being herded around like cattle. After we left, our driver took us several other places on the island, then gave us the choice of being dropped at a restaurant, at the beach, or back at the pier. We had a full day and were back on the ship for a late lunch.
Know that there is a lot of opportunity to spend extra money on board. Drinking plans, dining plans, cupcake classes, tours, etc.
So true, but spending more doesn't mean having more fun.
I also suggest going to Cruise Critic, and reading the forums/reviews over there.
Good advice.
Mariner is a great ship! Not too big, not too small. It's DH's favorite ship (for the size) and DD's favorite (for the Sky Pad).
We loved Mariner -- agree that the size is "just right".
We have paid for drink packages, but the costs are getting high enough that we are planning to pay as we go the next trip. I did buy the Refreshment package for my kids who drink a crazy amount of smoothies, milk shakes, virgin drinks, powerade, etc. If you do have the deluxe package, you can get a bottle of water with your alcoholic beverage which can be nice (and slows down how much alcohol I drink). If the price drops after you purchase, you can cancel and repurchase at the lower price. This is true for just about anything in the cruise planner.
I bought the soda package for my kids when they were teens -- for safety reasons. I wanted them to be able to hang around with new friends, but I never wanted them to feel they "should" drink that'd been out of their line of sight for even a moment.
As for water, we wanted water bottles for shore excursions, so we brought them with us. Very little effort and big savings. We bring along a cardboard box full of water, soda, sunscreen, toiletries, and "consumables" that won't be coming home with us.

Thanks so much everyone! My friend who booked the cruise for us, and has sailed with RC before, says that because we’re in a suite they hold pool chairs for us and we have reserved seating for the shows. Also special seating in the specialty restaurants. Is that what others have experienced? I just purchased the unlimited dining package and the adult beverage package. Seems like the way to go. And we booked the Labadee Snorkel Safari. If anyone has done that I’d love to hear about it! :yay:
RCCL Memorial Day sale right now on Cruise planner items - I just cancelled and re- booked adult beverage and refreshment package for our cruise and saved $100.

The Memorial Day Sale runs between May 24, 2022 - May 31, 2022 and is valid on sailings from May 29, 2022 - March 31, 2023.

Is there a formal night on a five night RC cruise?
There is a “Dress Your Best” night on every cruise, even the 3 day ones. It’s nothing like the formal nights of yesteryear though, which makes me kind of sad.

You’ll see all kinds of attire but way more to the casual end. Skirts for ladies and a jacket over an open collar shirt passes for formal for people who never actually dress up in their daily lives and that’s fine, I guess. Don’t bother going all-out; a gown or tux will make you feel like you’re at a costume party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter