• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time camper with kids!

Jeno

Earning My Ears
Hi, I've been reading over the threads here and want to thank you all for the great advice!

I'm marrying "in" to a 35ft fifth wheel and we'll be taking it to DW for the first time in Aug. I'm not worried about setup or doing any of that, the fiancee is a seasoned camper, he lives in it part time traveling with his job. My questions center on the kids.

I have three boys, ages 6, 5, and 3, and they've never been camping. well, ok, we spent a weekend from hades in the trailer with the fiancee a few weeks ago. I'm hunting some experienced campers tips for dealing with the kids in that confined space. I know we'll be out and about the majority of the time, but any suggestions to make this trip as painless as possible for my "formerly kidless" fiancee?

We took the kids on that one weekend to sort of work them into being in the trailer before we go all out for 8 days at DW with them, but it was a dismal failure. We will keep trying, and doing weekends as we can, trying to get them used to it. But I just have no clue what to do with kids in a campground to start with. These guys are pretty rambunctios!

I've seen where others suggested parking bikes and scooters and such in the screen tent for protection, Is that something we need to locate? I figured on bringing the bikes and scooters, and hoping to get a full hook up site near enough to the playground to turn them loose and still be able to keep an eye out for them. Any suggestions as to which loop or area is better for that?

we have planned on doing the day time breaks from the park, but the 5 and 6yos won't nap, I figured on doing pool time with them or the playgrounds during that time while the short guy sleeps. Any other suggestions?

Also, how fast does that campground fill up? we haven't called for the reservations yet, but its all going to start coming together this week, I've been searching packages and discounts and all that stuff, and we are about ready to start the reservations. Are we too late already for a trip the end of august?

Thanks for all your help!

jeanette

I think once you get to Fort Wilderness you won't have a problem, there is lots to do at the campground, bring the bikes there are many trails to ride on, petting farm, pony rides, pool, campfire movie program, lots to do, the biggest problem will probably be the drive down. Best of luck to you.

Hi and welcome to the DIS!!

Camping with the kids at FW is a piece of cake. There is so much to do. We have 3 boys also and they have a wonderful time there. I would definately bring their scooters and bikes. After a long day at the park you can sit and relax and they can ride around the loop. Don't worry about them being too rambunctious (?), just explain to them they can't run through other people's sites. There are playgrounds at the campground as well as pools. You can always take them to the beach to play in the sand, although swimming in the lake is no longer allowed.

At night the campground has a singalong campfire and movie. Chip and Dale are there and the kids can roast marshmallows and watch a movie. There is also a hayride to go on. It leaves from in front of the Hoop De Doo in the early evening (I forget the times). There is also a petting zoo and Mickey's Backyard Barbeque.

Have fun planning and feel free to ask any questions here.

Lisa

I teach first grade, and I know that children do best with routines. Try to keep them to a schedule of sorts, and I'd make all the boys take a rest in the heat of the day. Even if they don't nap, they'll (and you'll) be able to keep going better with a rest.

Try to keep clutter in the RV to a minimum--a place for everything, etc. We have traveled with up to 10 and a dog, and that's what helped keep us sane!

The cutest think I saw at FW was an RV with 3 kids parked outside on 3 blankets with toys for some quiet time, and the dog was out there, too.

89 days to go

Bring along games, videos, bikes and coloring books. IF you have an awning you wont have a problem or need for the screen porch. Once you arrive try not to spend to much time in the 5th wheel, get chairs out under the awning and watch the kids play. We love to sit out and just people watch. You might want to order the free vacation planing video and watch it together so that everyone gets an idea of where you are going. As for reservations the farther in advance you call the better your chances. Although discounts usually occur last minute. You might want to go to www.disneyzone.net for a resort review. Discounts at www.mousesavers.com. I can tell you from experience that package deals are not always the most cost efficient better to do it seperately. This has been a slow year at WDW so dont think you will have a problem.
FW has two types of sites for 5th wheels, Preferred which is towards the back of the campgroung near the marina and Pioneer Hall. THey include water, sewer, electric and disney cable. We like this area because it saves us so much bus time. Loop 400 is nice and 300 is close to a playground, 1400 is close to the meadow trading post area where the pool, campfire and store are located. Full hook up sites are mainly located in the middle, water, electric & sewer. I would suggest loops 900 close to meadows and 1300 which is close to meadows and a playground. Make sure you tell CRO you have an awning or slide out and add a few extra feet to your length to give you a little room. Once you arrive the kids will love the freedom of riding the bikes around the loops. You will find FW unlike anyother campground you have stay at, there is just so much to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter