First time DVC'ers

Callum

Mouseketeer
That's it.

5 weeks next Thursday and we are off to DVC for the very first time. Really, really looking forward to it and we "think" we have everything in place. :cloud9:

Our points are giving us 7 nights at SSR in a studio and 4 nights at Vero beach in a Deluxe Inn studio. The other 3 nights we have paid for a waterside at POFQ. In 16 years, this is the first time we have stayed onsite at WDW. :banana:

Got the flights (BA 'cos we had a credit with them). Car (Alamo) and have vouchers for 2 x APs. DDE we can pick up at the same time as the APs.

Looking at Resort Plans we have identified the guest laundry facilities at SSR but can't see any at VB. Can anyone help? Also, are there ironing facilities in the guest laundries or do these have to come through guest services?

Any other advice or tips would be great :goodvibes

PS for Pootle - we spoke some time ago about the VB refurbishment and I recall you mentioned about your friends visiting in November. How was it? Any serious disruption?

Hi,
We were also at VB last month and can confirm that the refurbishment was no problem. All we saw was some scaffolding around one block of rooms and heard very little noise. We were in block 12 and the laundry was in the garage next to the elevator and as far as I know it is complimentary. In the Inn the laundry is on the fourth floor. As for ironing there is an iron and board in the wardrobe of your room. We had a great week at Vero and can't wait to return.
If you have any other questions just ask.

Mick.

:cool2:

Thanks for the info, Mick.

I haven't yet got down to studying what there is to see and do in the Vero Beach area and just wondered if there was anything particular that stood out for you. We haven't been to KSC for a good few years but we want to go this time around to experience the new shuttle ride. Big Kids! thumbsup2

Any recommendations for places to eat?

Hi,
We went to KSC from Vero and drove up along the coast. It's not as quick as using I95 but a lot more scenic. After the day at KSC we went over to Port Canaveral and had dinner at Grills and watched the cruise ships depart (including the Disney Magic) Other things we did included a boat trip along the Sebastian River which was fun, and we had a couple of days shopping at the malls. Spent quite a bit of time around the pool and on the beach which was really relaxing. We also drove to Fort Lauderdale which we really enjoyed only downside was we could have done with more time there. As for food we ate at the resort one night (Shutters) which was ok but a little pricey. Other places we used were Capt. Hirams in Sebastian, Outback Steakhouse and Cracker Barrel in Vero. Never had a bad meal and really enjoyed the Outback (went there twice). One other place we called at was C J Cannons a restaurant which is right next to the runway at Vero airport had a nice breakfast there and the airport was surprisingly busy and lots of small planes to see.
Here's some links for you to check out and ask away if you need anymore info.

http://www.cjcannons.com/

http://www.outback.com/

http://www.hirams.com/

http://www.crackerbarrel.com/

http://www.verobeachoutlets.com/

http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=140

Mick.

:cool2:

We like the Driftwood Inn in Vero Beach - casual outdoor dining (nothing fancy), but the building is worth a look :)

Great thread - I'm looking forward to checking out some of Mick's suggestions on our next VB visit! ;)

Thanks again, Mick.

You are doing all the work for me :surfweb: I'll have a look at each of the sites and start putting together a plan - mind you, it will probably change as soon as we arrive at VB ;)

Fort Lauderdale sounds like a nice trip. Did you drive there and if so, how was the traffic? Someone told me that driving in the city can be horrendous :eek:

Thanks for your tip, Hilary. Have found a site for the Driftwood Inn and will have a good look later

The resort used to keep a big directory of all the local restaurants, their phone numbers, directions and sample menu ( last time I was there had to ask the front desk for it as they were refurbishing the area it was normally housed at). I've always found that helpful in deciding where to go and eat ( as well as saving time by calling the restaurant to book a table instead of just turning up hoping they've got availability)

Things at Vero, there is a Mel Fisher treasure museum just north of the resort that's a fun trip for a half day, the resort offers a number of activities and programs. I would call the resort to speak to the recreation department and see if they could fax or email you a copy of the activities they are running. They may not have a definative list for next month yet, but what ever they are doing now is going to be a pretty good indication of what's likely to be offered next month.

I have just opened an e-mail sent at 1358 this afternoon.

British Airways has cancelled both our outward AND return flights :scared: The office is closed so I will not be able to talk to anyone until tomorrow morning. Don't really know if our holiday is going to happen.

We have our own small business and cover is in place for our original dates and will be very hard (virtually impossible) to change.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

(Strong drink and then I am off to bed :mad: )

British Airways has cancelled both our outward AND return flights :scared: The office is closed so I will not be able to talk to anyone until tomorrow morning. Don't really know if our holiday is going to happen.

We have our own small business and cover is in place for our original dates and will be very hard (virtually impossible) to change.

I hope you get it sorted soon
sending you some :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

PS for Pootle - we spoke some time ago about the VB refurbishment and I recall you mentioned about your friends visiting in November. How was it? Any serious disruption?

My friends didn't even mention any disruption and had a wonderful time there. I saw them the day they arrived at WDW (they stayed at POR) and they said it was a perfect visit; great room, great reception from the staff and good weather. I conclude there was next to no disruption :)

I have only just read this thread and have seen your last post. I hope you manage to get something sorted immediately. I wouldn't think you would have much trouble in early January, but why have BA done this?

I hope they have a same day alternative lined up for you when you phone today. Does the email simply say that your flight is cancelled? :scared1: Thinking positive thoughts - let us know how you get on.

vernon said:
The resort used to keep a big directory of all the local restaurants, their phone numbers, directions and sample menu
It was there when we visited in May 2006. We were only there for 2 days, so we didn't go far, but we enjoyed Captain Hiram's. We also ate at a place which claims to have the only sunset view - Riverside Cafe? What they fail to tell you is that it also has a view of a flyover! :rotfl: Even so, we did enjoy it. Like Captain Hiram's, it's rustic, but popular and lively. Shutters was closed when we were there, but we really liked the Green Room bar.

OK, here is the latest.

BA cancelled the flights because "..it no longer operates on a Thursday" and they could only offer the same flight on another day. The really annoying thing was that they would not let me book another route "....because the ticket you bought sir, does not allow this"

Am I losing the plot here or has BA absolutely no feeling for their customers who, because of their decision, have been left without flights. I can understand this had it been MY decision to change flights. Still, more to come....

I raised the question of flying into Tampa on the 17th and returning on the 31st. No problem but "...you will be liable for any additional costs in the fare make up" But, there was good news, they would waive any cancellation, alteration charges :cool1: Even better news, the Tampa flight was £50 per head cheaper :banana: So we went for it.

The downside is that this flight does not arrive until 1745 and allowing an hour to clear immigration and customs it's not going to be the best time for setting off along the I4. Especially after a 15 hour journey. :scared1:

Now I am trying to arrange an overnight in Tampa with rental car pick up on the 18th. I will also phone CS at DVC to tell them what has happened and that we will be arriving a day later. Will this allow us to check in at any time as the room would have been prepared for us on the day before? Or is it worth trying to cancel this one night to save the points?

:thanks: to everyone who has listened to my ranting and raving over the last 36 hours or so. Everything was resolved by 8.00pm last night AND it did not turn out to be the nightmare I had first imagined :scratchin

As I have already mentioned, new flights to and from Tampa with a £100 refund on it's way to our bank account.

Rental car was booked through www.carhiredirect.co.uk and when I spoke to them about changing the pick up and drop off from MCO to TPA, they just clicked a few buttons and :wizard: it was done! No charge. No additional payment.

I then spoke with a vey nice young lady at DVC Member Services who, when she eventually got over the shock of hearing that BA could cancel scheduled flights at the drop of a hat, cancelled our SSR reservation for the first night and banked the 11 points into next years account :woohoo:

We will spend our first night at a Tampa hotel and just set out for Orlando, relaxed and refreshed the next day. Got my eye on the Marriott Airport, very expensive but hey, I've got £100 back from BA so I might just go for it :yay:

Back to planning our trip and looking at all the links you have posted. Thank you, everyone.

Glad you got that sorted, Callum! :thumbsup2

When I read your post about BA cancelling your flight I was :furious: over the sheer high-handedness of it! I, for one, had no idea they just cancel flights like that! I was pretty :mad: with VA when they transferred our January Barbados flights from LGW (convenient) to LHR (major hassle) but at least we were still going...

Have a wonderful holiday... :goodvibes

Glad you got that sorted, Callum! :thumbsup2

When I read your post about BA cancelling your flight I was :furious: over the sheer high-handedness of it! I, for one, had no idea they just cancel flights like that! I was pretty :mad: with VA when they transferred our January Barbados flights from LGW (convenient) to LHR (major hassle) but at least we were still going...

Have a wonderful holiday... :goodvibes

CustardTart - thanks for your good wishes and have yourself a wonderful time :santa:

I'm delighted to hear it worked out for you in the end. Tampa is a good airport btw - nice and easy to use.

Now, if only I could be so confident that my booking for next year with Maxjet (they have 'problems') to Las Vegas was going to happen ............ :rolleyes1

Glad to hear it is all sorted out at last
the :wizard: worked again it always does

Now get back to the planning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter