First time to Disney as a diabetic! Also have traumatic brain injury……

All insulin, once opened, can be kept at room temperature (36-86) for around.a month.

Many people need to dramatically reduce the amount of long insulin they take, due to heat and amount of walking. Check with your diabetic educator. It could be as half

Very very easy for ecv to get on and out of skyliner so you can use it for Epcot and Studios. Bus only needed for Magic K and Animal K. And Disney Springs. I don’t like the buses so take a taxi to the non-skyliner parks.

Not sure when you're going, but fan and small umbrella. Between the cement and blacktop, so much hotter than just air temp. If using scooter, bring some extra clear ponchos or huge trash bags to cover the electric parts of scooter in case of rain.

It's amazing how much of a game changer CGM has been for everyday life, but it's even more so for occasions like a day in the Parks. It's so easy to mistake the symptoms of hyper- or hypoglycemia with the signs of fatigue, overstimulation, dehydration, overheating, etc., etc. that are just part of a Disney trip that some days it seemed like I was spending half the day doing finger sticks. I mean, I wouldn't go without my meter and plenty of test strips just in case, but still.
Also, if you like water with lemon and no sweetener, you can get plain lemon juice in powder form that comes in packets. I use True Lemon brand.

I have diabetes 2 also - no insulin - just drugs
I have Diabetic Nephropathy in my feet - not my legs (yet)

No DAS for diabetic people who need a wheel chair - like me - I cannot walk far with a cane which I use just around the house. If I walk too far, my legs get tired, give out and I fall.

I call WDW - still can use Genie + , get on the regular line line and the cast member will help with the wheel chair or scooter - they can also tell you which rides a wheel chair can go on and which rides you have to transfer to out of your wheel chair to go on (can bring a cane on most rides . (like Its a Small World)

Yes you go on the line with your wheel chair with everyone else - they will get over it - since no DAS - The other guests have to wait while the wheel chair is loaded on to the ride and secured or the other guest have to wait while you transfer onto the ride with a cane
Do not listen to any comments - you never know - those young-ins maybe be in a wheel chair one day

There are now wheel chairs with a battery which can go 20 miles and fold for quick storage in a car or on an airplane overhead compartment - just talk to the airline - explain your situation - and you can pre-board with the wheel chair and store it - you just maybe be the last one off the plane - since people seem to run off once landed - only to wait a 30 minutes for their luggage to get off the plane. All airports have elevators - ADA compliant

Also WDW has ADA compliant rooms
too - as do most hotel chains

Eat more fruits and veggies - plain popcorn is OK too, just not too much of it
Lots of carts have fruits and veggies
Or bring some with you to snack on
And Hydrate - Drink Water = lots of it

Eat breakfast, snack at 10 am , lunch, snack at 4 pm, dinner, then maybe a snack at 9 pm
You have to keep your glucose at a steady rate between 75 and 175 range per my monitor
Talk to your Endocrinologist for your range

Talk to WDW before you go for all your ADR's - they will contact the chefs for you

Watch for no sugar items - still can be high in carbs

Use Dexcon or FreeLibre 1,2, or 3 to track your glucose levels

Great way to keep track of yourself by the minute - instead of finger pricks
May mostly be covered by your insurance

Bottom line - Yes you can go to WDW with Diabetes - But know what you can eat and when to eat and DRINK WATER
ENJOY :-) :) :dog2:
What an incredibly helpful post. Thanks!

Thank you
The above works for any trip to any amusement park
I think WDW and DL help people with disabilities the best

DH wants me to get a folding manual wheel chair
No battery
Thank you for the idea for a poncho to cover the wheel chair
I will also look for a cane holder option
I can use a cane to walk a few feet

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter