First time without others

SamS

Mouseketeer
My wife and I will make our first trip without children, grandchildren this coming June. It will surely seem stange. What experience have the rest of you had? What would you do that you didn't or couldn't do with children/grandchildren in tow? It will also be our first trip as DVC owners at Beach Club Villas.

We are seniors taking a trip with another couple in October, also staying at BCV. While I love going with children and grandchildren, a couples trip can be fabulous. Since we will be at BCV, we plan on concentrating on the easy access to Epcot and MGM. We are doing a morning at Animal Kingdom since our traveling companions have never been there. Unless I have an overpowering urge to see the Castle (which may happen), we probably won't even go to MK this trip. My personal objective is to go into every one of the World Showcase pavilions and see all the entertainment and shops. This is something that children don't usually have the patience for. Likewise a trip to Downtown Disney, where previous trips have been mostly to the Lego store. Our restaurant choices will be more geared to the "fine dining" at Flying Fish/Yachtman category, rather than the moderate restaurants and character meals we usually do with kids. The best thing, though, is looking forward to getting up and having an uninterrupted cup of coffee on the balcony at whatever time we happen to get up, and a quiet glass of wine before whatever time we decide to go to bed. I'm also going to try and fit Jellyrolls into the agenda, since we have never been there and it sounds like fun. Don't get me wrong, I bought into DVC for the joys of taking my grandchildren. But find that my trips with my husband and adult friends have been an entirely enjoyable experience in a different way.

You are really going to enjoy yourself. Where you are staying is ideal for couples. At night the place is outstanding for adults. just relax and enjoy. My wife and I go twice a year without anyone and take our grandchild and others once a year. Believe me you will enjoy it . Have fun:smooth:

You're going to love this experience. One thing I can think of that you will enjoy is peace of mind. When I'm at WDW with kids I find that I'm constantly watching them, always keeping an eye on them, even if they aren't my kids :rolleyes: Without kids all you have to worry about is your partner :) Holding hands and strolling along in MGM or EPCOT is the most relaxing and fun thing to me :)

DH and I go alone quite a bit. We don't have children or grandchildren, although we are not quite grandparent age.

WDW without children is an entirely different experience. You'll love it! Some of our favorite things to do:

1.Stroll the World Showcase at night. The twinkling lights and sights and sounds are wonderful. If oyu're at one of the Epcot resorts where you can take the boat, that's a plus!!!! I love the boats!!!

2.Jellyrolls on the BW. It's a blast!!!!

3. The Electric Water Pageant from the beach at the Poly. Very romantic;) !

4. Dinner at the California Grill

5. Having a coffe and a pastry at the bakery near the dancing water fountain in Epcot...near Innoventions. After IllumiNations, we go there, grab a bite, and sit and people watch. Of course, if you're staying at on of the Epcot resorts, you won't be going out in that direction.

6.Watching the goodnight kiss after the fireworks etc at the MK. We usually grab a soda or an ice cream and find a place to sit and watch the folks file out of the MK, watch the castle turn colors.Sigh...

7. The Adventurers Club and the Comedy Club at PI.

8. Floating along the lazy rivers in either BB or TL in a tube.

9. Enjoying the Gorilla Falls in the AK without a bored kid tugging at your shirt. I could watch those gorillas for hours!!!!!!

10. Enjoying the "streetmosphere" actors in MGM without a bored kid tugging at your shirt.

11. SHOPPING!!!!!!!! Again without a bored kid tugging at your shirt.

I'm sure I could think of more, but these are the ones right off the top of my head.

I don't know if you remember, but a few years back there was a commercial where a young couple (I think they were playing cards) were talking about what a "boring" time their parents must be having at WDW without kids. Meanwhile, interspersed with their discussion were scenes of the fun Mom and Dad were having. I loved that commercial-especially when Mom went down the pool slide! Honestly, I find WDW to be the most romantic vacation DH and I could possibly take. We never fight, and strolling around at night or riding Dumbo is so romantic (OK, so I have a strange perception of romance!)

7 days and counting!:Pinkbounc Hubby and I are early to mid 40's, celebrating our belated honeymoon and when I told people where we were going, they said, "why Disney World, you don't have kids"!? I say' WHY NOT Disney World? There's so much to do and see, I know we won't get to see everything that we want to, but we'll have a blast trying!:bounce: Wish us luck parasailing:eek:

When DH & I are there without other family, we slow down. We can be completely spontaneous.

Even if we have a plan, we don't mind changing it at the spur of the moment. Last December, the one time we went to MK, it was so crowded and the couple of rides we had hoped to do had maxed-out lines. We left after an hour. I felt kind of guilty about it (for about a minute ;) ).... so many families tolerate lines, heat and tired kids just because it is their one-and-only chance to be there. It is truly a vacation when you have so many choices you can just walk out of MK after an hour. It will always be there next time.

It also really stretches the budget to only feed two, so we can try more upscale restaurants. The Food and Wine festival is especially just for us!

I worried when we made our first trip without kids; but it was Wondeful! We have made many trips the last several years without kids and really enjoy the freedom. We take our time, only going to the parks we feel like going to each day, and going on our favorite attractions. Sometimes we go to 3 parks in one day, just hopping from one favorite attraction to another. Other times we spend a whole day seeing the shows. You will have the freedom to spend your days however you want. Maybe you'll just go to Epcot, find a bench and people watch!
Although we look forward to the time we have grandchildren and can take them; we are really enjoying this time in our lives of kids grown and on their own and no grandchildren (yet).

Mrs. Snowgood, I just looked at your countdown and realized we'll be there at the same time. Maybe we'll run into each other! We plan on spending a great deal of time at the Wine and Food Festival (our favorite thing to do).:Pinkbounc

My DH and I leave Monday for our first trip to WDW without either of our kids since we went on our honeymoon. This is also the first trip that I haven't planned at least which days we were going to what park. We'll only be there for 4 nights and are looking forward to experiencing the Food and Wine Festival for the first time. We thought we would wait and see what the weather is like before deciding how many days we'll go into the theme parks. If its nice, we'll probably spend more time relaxing by the pool. We know which restaurants we want to go back too but we'll wait to make dinner PS when we get there. And we want to go to PI one night to the Adventurer's Club and Comedy Warehouse.

Donna

donmil, I love that aspect of travelling without others. Your trip can be as relaxed as you want. Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

MY early solo trips to WDW were easy. I traveled for work and had customers in both Orlando and LA. Normally these trips are all week but after tue/wed only spent a hour at the plants. In WDW or DL by noon that helped a bunch for later solo trips.
For something new during the last visit in May decided to do a Pool Bar photo tour of the resorts. It took 2 days with samples from each. This is one of those things you do as a solo or couple where kids would not have fun but now I know where they all are and it helps with bus stop/resort knowledge.
RussH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter