First Timer (Non-DVC) - Help me understand

Wow! I was so naive! I can only laugh at myself! Thank you for going to all of that trouble. I really appreciate it!

LOL-Dont think of yourself as naive, at least you now know for future planning. I kind of went through the same process. Hear about "renting" points, did some digging tried to plan a trip, found out timing is everything and then I was totally determined to do it!

LOL-Dont think of yourself as naive, at least you now know for future planning. I kind of went through the same process. Hear about "renting" points, did some digging tried to plan a trip, found out timing is everything and then I was totally determined to do it!
You are so right!!

Wow! I was so naive! I can only laugh at myself! Thank you for going to all of that trouble. I really appreciate it!
It's not being naive, owning DVC is a process for sure...renting points you still have to learn the tips and tricks, biggest being the booking windows. Aulani at the 7 month mark during the summer goes very fast. It is a beautiful resort, whenever you get there. Be forewarned, you may leave a new DVC owner :love:

It's not being naive, owning DVC is a process for sure...renting points you still have to learn the tips and tricks, biggest being the booking windows. Aulani at the 7 month mark during the summer goes very fast. It is a beautiful resort, whenever you get there. Be forewarned, you may leave a new DVC owner :love:
Bit the bullet and got a cash Rez. The package I got came with one-way transport from airport plus a car rental for one day (from the resort). I originally planned on renting a car for the whole stay but I'm not sure it will be worth it now that I have to pay for daily parking.

Bit the bullet and got a cash Rez. The package I got came with one-way transport from airport plus a car rental for one day (from the resort). I originally planned on renting a car for the whole stay but I'm not sure it will be worth it now that I have to pay for daily parking.
We find so much to explore around the island, but it is very hard to leave the resort. Across the street is this cute shopping area with a few dining places and if you need any groceries there is a small store. It might be cheaper to rent a car a few different days, than pay parking, that you are there, one day go do the north shore and another head to Waikiki area. Have fun...I am jealous, so wished we were returning this summer!

We find so much to explore around the island, but it is very hard to leave the resort. Across the street is this cute shopping area with a few dining places and if you need any groceries there is a small store. It might be cheaper to rent a car a few different days, than pay parking, that you are there, one day go do the north shore and another head to Waikiki area. Have fun...I am jealous, so wished we were returning this summer!
When I looked, it was about $110 to rent a car for a day. To rent a car for the week plus parking - around $750.

When I looked, it was about $110 to rent a car for a day. To rent a car for the week plus parking - around $750.
Keep checking, even if you think you might want a car, book it. You can always cancel it closer to time. Advice I got one time, it is an island, they can't bring cars in if they run out. That being said, if you have a costco membership check there. We got a Suburban last time for 13 days for $600 thru them. I've also read discount hawaiian car rental is a good place to check, never had any luck there, Costco was by far the cheapest.

Keep checking, even if you think you might want a car, book it. You can always cancel it closer to time. Advice I got one time, it is an island, they can't bring cars in if they run out. That being said, if you have a costco membership check there. We got a Suburban last time for 13 days for $600 thru them. I've also read discount hawaiian car rental is a good place to check, never had any luck there, Costco was by far the cheapest.
That's good advice! It's the parking fee that's the killer. The rental was about $370 but the parking was going to be an additional $300+.

That's good advice! It's the parking fee that's the killer. The rental was about $370 but the parking was going to be an additional $300+.
Yes, that parking fee gets you for sure. But, if you have a car you can shop around at places to eat that may be less expensive than what is right around Aulani, plus you can pick up a few groceries. We get breakfast items, snacks and drinks, saves us some money...not sure it would offset the parking fee.

parking is 37/day = 259 for the week. I'd consider a min 5 day rental plus a separate free day which can be returned with no parking fee. May be more affordable. We loved the convenience of a car.

I totally get it, it really feels like gouging but imho having the car is priceless. There is so much to see and do on Oahu and the car gives you freedom to experience beautiful new places everyday, at your leisure, arriving and leaving when YOU want , not when the tour needs to leave. Ko Olina is kind of isolated and sure, you can do tours but they are going to cost you way more than that parking fee. One thing about your having made a cash reservation is that you do have the chance of being upgraded whereas if you were to have been able to book the DVC room that would not happen. I believe the DVC member who rents would have to rent you more points for you to move up a category. The first time we went to Aulani we split out stay between a direct cash ressie in a hotel room and a DVC studio stay. We were upgraded from a standard view hotel room to an ocean view. We really went not in the room enough for it to make a difference but it was nice to be able to look outside to the ocean. I am a glass half full type of person, so who knows - you might luck out with an upgrade that would be a trade off for the parking...

Yes, that parking fee gets you for sure. But, if you have a car you can shop around at places to eat that may be less expensive than what is right around Aulani, plus you can pick up a few groceries. We get breakfast items, snacks and drinks, saves us some money...not sure it would offset the parking fee.
Good point!

parking is 37/day = 259 for the week. I'd consider a min 5 day rental plus a separate free day which can be returned with no parking fee. May be more affordable. We loved the convenience of a car.
We're staying for 9 nights so the parking would total $333. I like your idea of renting for a partial week. I'll look into that!

I totally get it, it really feels like gouging but imho having the car is priceless. There is so much to see and do on Oahu and the car gives you freedom to experience beautiful new places everyday, at your leisure, arriving and leaving when YOU want , not when the tour needs to leave. Ko Olina is kind of isolated and sure, you can do tours but they are going to cost you way more than that parking fee. One thing about your having made a cash reservation is that you do have the chance of being upgraded whereas if you were to have been able to book the DVC room that would not happen. I believe the DVC member who rents would have to rent you more points for you to move up a category. The first time we went to Aulani we split out stay between a direct cash ressie in a hotel room and a DVC studio stay. We were upgraded from a standard view hotel room to an ocean view. We really went not in the room enough for it to make a difference but it was nice to be able to look outside to the ocean. I am a glass half full type of person, so who knows - you might luck out with an upgrade that would be a trade off for the parking...
Fingers crossed!

Yes, I believe the rates are as listed below:
Additional Full Cleaning Rates:
Studio - $30.00 for each day requested
One-Bedroom - $45.00 for each day requested
Two-Bedroom - $60.00 for each day requested
Three-Bedroom - $75.00 for each day requested
Additional Trash & Towel Rates:
Studio - $15.00 for each day requested
One-Bedroom - $20.00 for each day requested
Two-Bedroom - $25.00 for each day requested
Three-Bedroom - $35.00 for each day requested

Hello, we are booked to check in to a 3br villa next Tuesday using dvc rental points. Who do we contact about requesting a full cleaning? Thank you all for your replies.

Hello, we are booked to check in to a 3br villa next Tuesday using dvc rental points. Who do we contact about requesting a full cleaning? Thank you all for your replies.

Welcome to the Dis:-)
Just press the housekeeping button on your phone to request. Same for any additional pillows, blankets etc.
Have a great trip!
Kerri

They need 24 hour notice, so you may want to discuss this at check in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter