First timer - Please help, I’m going round in circles choosing a resort ..

I’ve never stayed at any of the moderates. But I would keep in mind there are a lot of changes coming and you can probably almost always change your mind. Riverside is getting room refurbishments, Coronado Springs is getting the Tower and other additions, and the Caribbean Beach is getting the Skyliner. I would keep an eye out for all of these changes and watch how people react to them. I would say today it’s anyones game because of these massive changes. Some bloggers/bloggers are quick to make videos too

I would choose POFQ because it is a smaller resort with only one bus stop. POR and CBR are huge and less intimate feeling. Can't speak for Coronado other than to say when I visited ( I did not stay there though) it was overrun with conference patrons making it feel less resort-like/Disney to me.

First of all, wherever you stay, you will have a fabulous time because it will be your first time at WDW...whoo hoo!! :goodvibes You really can't go wrong.

I have stayed at all the moderates you've listed with the exception of CS. I have enjoyed them all, but I would have to agree with other posters above that POFQ was my favorite. It's small, easy to navigate, the food court is great, and it's a short walk from pretty much any of the rooms. DH, my two boys, and I stayed there for a week in June, 2017 and we really enjoyed being able to take the boat to DS, and we enjoyed walking to POR for other restaurants and the larger pool.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a magical time!

DH and I have stayed at both PO resorts as well as CSR.
We love The POR resorts for the boats and they are lovely resorts, cons for us is the buses we always find to be very crowded as are the pools. I know it’s Disney but after the parks sometimes you just want a bit of peace. FQ is the quietest of the two but with only the one pool means it can be crowded in there. Food courts at both are good with POR having the biggest choice. Of the two FQ is our favourite.
CSR we never stood once in the buses lot less kids and better pool option. The kids tended to stay in the end near the water slide. We loved the feel of the resort and it was very quite. The new tower is due to open next month with some new restaurants in there and they are also opening a new floating restaurant in the lake this year that looks lovely. If you wanted a day to chill out at the resort then far more options at CSR and it has a spa. Also lots of food and beverage options.

I just did a solo trip to POFQ and absolutely loved it. I loved the smaller size and took to boat a few times to DS. The only downside is that its one of the resorts that doesn't get discounted often. I plan to stay there again tho

It seems you’ve gotten every resort recommended as the top choice by someone so far, for one reason or another. My choice would be swayed by the following: 1) Will you have a car? 2) Is the pool is important to you? 3) Which one has food you like the best? 4) What kind of trip is this for you, park-heavy, length, etc.? 5) Do you care about having a fitness center?

IMO, we enjoy Coronado the best. We like their food options and the theming. We also utilize the fitness centers and CSR is the only mod with one. But the boat to DS is nice so POFQ is my second. Their jogging path is nice too. We just didn’t love the food options or theme there as much. Haven’t stayed at CBR since the refurb so can’t say much for it really.

POR would be my first choice---POFQ is really nice because it is a more compact resort, but I prefer the more relaxing grounds of POR. Also, I think as an adult the pools are more appealing at POR than they are at POFQ. Both of those resorts are great because they have the water taxi to Disney Springs which is a nice switch up from the busses. If you stay at POR and POFQ you can use the pools at both, which is nice. If you plan on spending a lot of time at HS or Epcot then I would consider staying at CBR. It is a big resort, but the gondolas would be a nice second option other than the busses.

WE have stayed at all the moderates multiple times. However, it has been a while since we stayed at CBR and there have been a lot of changes recently, so I am looking forward to staying there again sometime over the next year.

Which resort is best is a very personal thing. Everyone has different priorities when choosing a resort. You have noted some of the major differences between the 4 moderate choices which is great. Does any theme look more appealing to you? It may seem unimportant, but the theme does matter a lot to many people. It sets the mood for your visit and theming is very well done at WDW resorts.

Here are a few other things to think about as you choose: (all are JMO, of course)

CSR (my first choice for couples only / older children families:
-best moderate pool on property
-nice quiet pools
-fitness center, salon
-three lovely landscaped areas for theming options
-hammocks, fountains and little areas to explore while enjoying the grounds
-excellent bus service
-romantic. walk around the lake
-excellent TS restaurant ( and now another one on the water - can't wait to try this one!)
-rooms in the tower have interior corridors, if desired
-Good food court
-central location
-buses rarely crowded
-our favourite theme
-convention hotel (bothers some people, never a problem for us)
-large size (again bothers some people, a plus for us as we enjoy having nice grounds to walk around and extra amenities to enjoy)
book preferred rooms or tower rooms for most convenient locations

POR (my second choice)
Nice themed pool
good quiet pools around property
good TS restaurant
best moderate food court on property
boat to DS
lovely grounds to walk around
horse and carriage rides
Surrey bike rentals
over the top Royal rooms, cute bayou rooms or regular mansion rooms combine to give options for many decor preferences
walk to POFQ for another themed pool and/or beignets
evening entertainment
book preferred rooms for most convenient location

CBR (might be tied for second choice with new additions, not sure)
very relaxing resort theme
nice main themed pool
great quiet pools
new gondola ride to DHS and Epcot may be a plus
some say rooms are a little larger ( 340 vs 314 Sq Ft at others?)
book preferred rooms for most convenient location

POFQ (our last choice)
only one bus stop (some people like this a lot)
great for families with small children
boat to DS
walk to POR to use the amenities there
small footprint, so easy to navigate and all rooms close to everything, no need to pay extra for a preferred room
few amenities at FQ
no TS restaurant
small food court
pool more suited to small children
theming doesn't appeal to us, grounds are themed like New Orleans streets

All four are great choices Enjoy whichever you choose. If staying a week or longer you could book a split stay and experience more than one.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Ive stayed at POFQ and POR (Also WL, GF,ASMO and Pop). LOVED POFQ until I stayed at POR...POR is bigger, the mansions section is nice, quiet pools,paths...loved the lounge with YeeHaw Bob.We used the bus stop at the front lobby, short walk from our building. POFQ is small,compact.Good beigneits.But POR has been MY FAVORITE even over WL and GF.

We haven't stayed at CSR or CBR, so I can't speak to those. I have stayed at POFQ on an adult only trip and we loved it. Very walkable, the food court wasn't crazy busy, we loved the lounge and the live music, and the boat to DS is a big bonus for us. We tend to enjoy the restaurants and lounges more there, than in parks. Well, except for Nomad. The buses were timely, too.
We liked POR, too. It's just not as intimate. Trying to get a seat for YeeHaw Bob was irritating. There were several empty tables but they all had a personal item "saving" them. A hat, a lanyard, etc. So, we never got a seat and after an hour we decided to give up and go to the food court for food.

I had the same problem choosing for our first trip. I still have that problem! I keep looking at availability on our dates.

Coronado is one of our favorite resorts, and I consider it a step up from the other Moderates. The pool and hot tub are wonderful, and I think Pepper Market has the best QS foodcourt of all the Moderates.

I have stayed at every moderate but Coronado Springs. I have enjoyed them all. If you're anything like me, you will find Disney addicting and will want to return. One of the best things about Disney is the wide variety of things to do and the many different resorts really give your vacation a different flavor. I love staying at different resorts. You really can't go wrong. They are all great. Whatever resort you don't choose this time, you can try next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter