First trip is this doable?

margot31

DIS Veteran
So we are finally taking a trip of the DL from San Diego. Not new to Disney as we used to be AP to WDW but never been to DL. So I was thinking of getting just three day tickets and one ticket for universal so we can take the kids to the Mario land. I was thinking of driving up early on a Monday and driving back on a Friday. On that Monday we would do half a day in one of the parks. I understand we need a park reservation but I am hearing that you can really do Disney less than 3 days. Just trying to figure out the best schedule and such.

Are you a San Diego resident? If so, you might be able to take advantage of a So Cal ticket.

How old are your kids? What are they interested in and what are your priorities (thrill rides, characters, dining, etc)?

Are you a San Diego resident? If so, you might be able to take advantage of a So Cal ticket.

How old are your kids? What are they interested in and what are your priorities (thrill rides, characters, dining, etc)?
We are getting military tickets I have one kid who does roller coaster and another who doesn’t. We probably won’t do a character meal. Just being there is a priority as is.
Id do half day at California adventure on your first day. Universal on Tuesday, Disneyland on Wednesday and Thursday.
I was thinking of doing the cal adventure in an oggie boggie night if I can get tickets of course.

We are getting military tickets I have one kid who does roller coaster and another who doesn’t. We probably won’t do a character meal. Just being there is a priority as is.

I was thinking of doing the cal adventure in an oggie boggie night if I can get tickets of course.

You are planning on doing this trip in October? If so just be aware that October has turned into the absolute busiest time of year at Disneyland/DCA. Oogie is a great time, but the parks will be insanely packed. If you can go in early September it won't be as busy and you could still do Oogie (assuming you manage to get tix). If Oogie isn't a priority I would highly recommend going another time than Halloween season.

And I agree with Howry - If you are doing 2.5 days in the parks I would do the half day at DCA and save the 2 full days for DL. Much more to do there and you could easily fill 2 days without getting bored.

You are planning on doing this trip in October? If so just be aware that October has turned into the absolute busiest time of year at Disneyland/DCA. Oogie is a great time, but the parks will be insanely packed. If you can go in early September it won't be as busy and you could still do Oogie (assuming you manage to get tix). If Oogie isn't a priority I would highly recommend going another time than Halloween season.

And I agree with Howry - If you are doing 2.5 days in the parks I would do the half day at DCA and save the 2 full days for DL. Much more to do there and you could easily fill 2 days without getting bored.
Sept when the kids are on fall break. I have heard about Oct hence if I can do it right before Oct it may not be as bad.

Sept when the kids are on fall break. I have heard about Oct hence if I can do it right before Oct it may not be as bad.
September will be less busy than October. Both months will be hot. We went 3 days in October and it was very busy and we did not even get to every section of each park. We did 1 full day DCA and 2 full days Disneyland plus we went to the Oogie Boogie. I would honestly skip Oogie Boogie depending on your kids ages as my kids did not really enjoy it and a lot of the rides closed early. I'd try to do DCA on a non party night. I would maybe consider doing 4 day park hoppers to try to fit everything in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter