First Trip to Hilton Head

lilwitch646

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Hey Everyone!

Me and my SO are taking our first vacation together to Hilton Head from February 20-24. We booked a one bedroom on points. (Only after booking did we realize we chose the weekend AFTER valentine's day... :blush:)

I've never been to Hilton Head before, so I've been looking up things to do while we're there. I've heard that there are some really great restaurants on the mainland, and that there are some really great biking trails on the island. Savannah also looks pretty close.

I was just wondering if anyone has recommendations for restaurants or activities while down there. I think it'll be too cold for the ocean, but I hear the pool is heated.

Thanks!!

Kat

(It's such a novel feeling being a newbie!! I kind of like it! :goodvibes)

The pools are heated, but the ocean will be cold. If the weather is chilly, you can walk on the beach and go insides the beach house to warm up. The resort is laid back and relaxing, and we have gone several times in March and loved it. There are some fun activities at the resort like the marsh walk with a naturalist and dolphin cruise which leaves from the resort. If you want to have some meals in the villa, Fresh Market has a lot of prepared seafood dishes you just stick in the oven. Everything at Fresh Market is wonderful, in my opinion, even though it's pricey. They have a salad bar, freshly baked breads and desserts, etc. Hugo's is one of our favorite restaurants. It's near the resort, usually very quiet with soft music, great food and service, and very reasonably priced if you go for the Early Bird Special. There are many excellent restaurants at Hilton Head, and it depends on what you like. We tend to eat a lot of the wonderfully fresh seafood there. Be sure to stop by the check-in office for the warm cranberry or chocolate chip cookies they put out every afternoon. If you like simple entertainment, go to some of the presentation Blu Crabb and Shadow, the resort mascot and dog, present....tall tales and ghost stories, Low Country folk songs, magic tricks, etc. You easily can take a day trip to Savannah, but we love the resort so much that we don't leave it except for going out to eat and shopping. Enjoy your week end!

Hey Everyone!

Me and my SO are taking our first vacation together to Hilton Head from February 20-24. We booked a one bedroom on points. (Only after booking did we realize we chose the weekend AFTER valentine's day... :blush:)

I've never been to Hilton Head before, so I've been looking up things to do while we're there. I've heard that there are some really great restaurants on the mainland, and that there are some really great biking trails on the island. Savannah also looks pretty close.

I was just wondering if anyone has recommendations for restaurants or activities while down there. I think it'll be too cold for the ocean, but I hear the pool is heated.

Thanks!!

Kat

(It's such a novel feeling being a newbie!! I kind of like it! :goodvibes)

Coincidently one of our trips was that same week (the week after Valentine's day) one year, also staying in a 1 BR. The dolphin tours went that week. Dress warm and you'll see dolphins. I remember also taking a 3 hour tour through the resort of the island. It was a lot of fun, especially since I was the only one on the tour! And don't think you have to drive to the mainland for great restaurants-there are plenty of great ones on the island. And as time gets closer, check on-line to see what activities the Coastal Discovery Museum have that week.

Hilton Head is a GREAT place for biking. There are trails all over the island and they are very pleasant to ride on.

Pinckney Island NWR is also a great place to ride. It's the little island in between the two bridges that go to the island.

I agree with the poster above about finding great food on the island, but, if you want to come over here to Savannah (come to Savannah...spend money!), you can have a good time. Don't bother with Paula Deen's place right now. She isn't in the kitchen any more and the quality has suffered.

We always recommend Mrs Wilkes Boarding House on Jones st. Look for the line of people waiting to get it. Family style eating at its best. We have lots of history here from the Revolution to the American Civil War if you have a history buff in the family. That person might also want to go over toward Beaufort and visit Parris Island. The Marine's Museum there is not to be missed.

There are some fun activities at the resort like the marsh walk with a naturalist and dolphin cruise which leaves from the resort. If you want to have some meals in the villa, Fresh Market has a lot of prepared seafood dishes you just stick in the oven. Everything at Fresh Market is wonderful, in my opinion, even though it's pricey. They have a salad bar, freshly baked breads and desserts, etc. Hugo's is one of our favorite restaurants. It's near the resort, usually very quiet with soft music, great food and service, and very reasonably priced if you go for the Early Bird Special. There are many excellent restaurants at Hilton Head, and it depends on what you like. We tend to eat a lot of the wonderfully fresh seafood there. Be sure to stop by the check-in office for the warm cranberry or chocolate chip cookies they put out every afternoon. If you like simple entertainment, go to some of the presentation Blu Crabb and Shadow, the resort mascot and dog, present....tall tales and ghost stories, Low Country folk songs, magic tricks, etc. You easily can take a day trip to Savannah, but we love the resort so much that we don't leave it except for going out to eat and shopping. Enjoy your week end!

Those cookies sound delicious!! I had no idea that they put out cookies everyday. That might be bad for my waistline, but it's vacation - no diets!

I really like the dolphin cruise idea. Is that through Disney or a local company?

Coincidently one of our trips was that same week (the week after Valentine's day) one year, also staying in a 1 BR. The dolphin tours went that week. Dress warm and you'll see dolphins. I remember also taking a 3 hour tour through the resort of the island. It was a lot of fun, especially since I was the only one on the tour! And don't think you have to drive to the mainland for great restaurants-there are plenty of great ones on the island. And as time gets closer, check on-line to see what activities the Coastal Discovery Museum have that week.

Dolphin tour again! I'm thinking this may be a must-do for Hilton Head, especially because I just happen to love dolphins.

Hilton Head is a GREAT place for biking. There are trails all over the island and they are very pleasant to ride on.

Pinckney Island NWR is also a great place to ride. It's the little island in between the two bridges that go to the island.

This is a great idea. SO is an avid biker. Hopefully I can keep up!

I agree with the poster above about finding great food on the island, but, if you want to come over here to Savannah (come to Savannah...spend money!), you can have a good time. Don't bother with Paula Deen's place right now. She isn't in the kitchen any more and the quality has suffered.

We always recommend Mrs Wilkes Boarding House on Jones st. Look for the line of people waiting to get it. Family style eating at its best. We have lots of history here from the Revolution to the American Civil War if you have a history buff in the family. That person might also want to go over toward Beaufort and visit Parris Island. The Marine's Museum there is not to be missed.

If we come to Savannah and spend money (;)) I'll definitely put these places on the list. I'm actually the history buff, so I love doing all those historic tours and museums.

Thanks so much for the great tips everyone! I really appreciate all of the advice! :goodvibes

lilwitch646, if you love Dolphins, be sure to keep your eyes open around the resort. I've seen them both in the waters next to the main lodge and in the area behind the fishing pier. They've also been seen at the end of the resort from building 31. I've also seen them from the Beach House in the ocean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter