First Universal Only Trip - Pre Report

KrzyKtty101

Mouseketeer
What: Our first ever Universal Trip without it being a tag onto a WDW trip. Last time we were at Universal it was June of 2017. Volcano Bay had just opened up and we didn't go. We were staying on Disney property. However, we LOVED how relaxing the Universal day was compared to WDW. No super planning of itineraries, no super strict FP timelines, no planning out restaurants 6 months out. Didn't have to tell my DD, "No, we can't ride that ride now because if we don't go to this ride half way across the park right now, the line will be to bad to do it at any other time." If we were by the ride, and liked the ride, we just went on the ride. No back and forth across the park multiple times to make the schedule work.

Who: My DH (Dear Husband), DD (Dear Daughter) and DS (Dear Son) are are going on our trip to Universal. This was supposed to be a treat for DS last summer for promoting into Middle School. However, .... So now we are going this year.

When: We are arriving on July 30th and returning home on August 3rd. So three fun full park days. However, we are planning a park evening on July 30th. I don't want to worry about HP wands in the park while trying to go on all the rides. DH and I thought we would have a rideless HP evening the night we arrive. Just hop between the two parks, get DD a want at Olivanders, and enjoy the spells and stores. Then we can leave the wands at the resort the following days.

Where: We are staying at the Club Level at the Portofino Bay Resort. I really want a bay view, but not sure it is worth putting a room request for it?? It would probably sound pretentious.., but unlike WDW, I can't just spend more for the view I want with Club level. I can live without the balcony, but the view would be so nice. We chose Club level for the snacks and easy breakfast. An afternoon glass of wine before going back to the parks sound nice as well.

Schedule (ish):

Arrival: Leave the house around 6-7 ish. Whenever I can get the lazy bums up and out of the house. We should get to Universal sometime around 1-2 in the afternoon. Our room might not be ready, but figured we could hang out by the pool. We have dinner Reservations at 5 at Toothsome, then off to HP night. :D

Day 1: Probably IOP. DD (8) wanted to go on Velocicoaster; I doubt she will actually make it on the ride; however, we will see. I figured we could try Early Entry and Hit Velocicoaster and Hagrids early in the morning. Then we will do The Three Broomsticks for lunch. For Dinner we are supposed to eat at Mythos (loved that place the last two times we went. We will probably take a mid day break. Enjoy the pool and club snacks before heading back for the evening.

Day 2. Universal Studios. We are supposed to do Lunch at Lombard's Seafood Grille. Our first time here. We will probably grab dinner at the Club and snacks at the resort later in the evening. No other big plans other than have fun.

Day 3. First ever trip to Volcano Bay. We rented a cabana for the 4 of us to enjoy, so we will probably make a full day out of it. I should probably do more research on how hard it is to get a spot in line on that Water Coaster ride everyone talks about at this park...??? Either way, we are excited. Dinner will be at the Cowfish. DD is looking forward to the PP&J Sushi Rolls. She had something similar at California Advendure at DL and fell in love with them.

Now I just have to figure out what to pack. :( We are going bagless in the parks most days. I really hate carrying 10,000 pounds in a bag; I also hate having to go through the bag security. I have large pocketed cargo shorts and tend to use that for essentials. If it rains, everyone can just get wet. We live in the Deep South; we are used to rain LOL.

Look forward to reading about your trip.

And absolutely put in the request for the view you want, many people do. Call or email and have it added to your reservation, call back about a week before your trip as rooms are allocated 5 days out. Fingers crossed you get the view you want.

Look forward to reading about your trip.

And absolutely put in the request for the view you want, many people do. Call or email and have it added to your reservation, call back about a week before your trip as rooms are allocated 5 days out. Fingers crossed you get the view you want.
Thank you. I just called and made the request.

Last edited:
For the Krakatau water coaster at Volcano Bay, we always ride it multiple times a day.

My best advice is to get to VB early. Like, first at the turnstiles early. Grab your Cabana and then make a beeline for Krakatau. It is one of the few rides open early. If you make it there quickly, you should be able to ride it 2 or 3 times in quick succession. Then, if you want to move on, you can reserve it again later using the Tapu Tapu in your Cabana. Often we ride at least 4 or 5 times this way. Have fun! We love Volcano Bay, and having a cabana makes for a fantastic day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter