Fixed weeks

Dang. How do they handle weeks that straddle the different seasons. Say I wanted Week 4 or 5, which will often split between Jan and Feb? Do they make you buy points for the higher season? or split between the two?

Dang. How do they handle weeks that straddle the different seasons. Say I wanted Week 4 or 5, which will often split between Jan and Feb? Do they make you buy points for the higher season? or split between the two?
Points for any 7-day reservation are simply the total of the points required for each night. Those amounts on the charts that are labeled as Weekly simply do the arithmetic, assuming each night is in the same season. Some weeks, like Thanksgiving, actually cost a different number of points than that weekly total because nights are in different seasons.

Right, but that can change year to year. Week 4 this year had 4 days in Season 2 and 3 in season 4 for Riviera, next year will have 6 nights in season 2 and 1 in season 4. The points to book 2024 would be more than the points to book 2025. Do they just go based on the points the year you sign up?

Right, but that can change year to year. Week 4 this year had 4 days in Season 2 and 3 in season 4 for Riviera, next year will have 6 nights in season 2 and 1 in season 4. The points to book 2024 would be more than the points to book 2025. Do they just go based on the points the year you sign up?
The number of points for that week is set by the chart in effect when you buy. They can amend that chart, but it doesn’t change your right to book that FW for that many points.

It looks like they do the math for the average over the life of the contract maybe?
So the ones that span across seasons will be in between

It looks like they do the math for the average over the life of the contract maybe?
So the ones that span across seasons will be in between
No. They take the point chart for the year they set up the FW, they add up the points for each night Sunday through Saturday, just like you would do if booking that week. Then they add 10% more points, and that’s the number of points the buyer pays for. Then they have that week, even if the points cost rises in future for regular owners.

So you can get a bit of a discount by buying in a year when the fixed week has a higher proportion in the lower season? Interesting!

So you can get a bit of a discount by buying in a year when the fixed week has a higher proportion in the lower season? Interesting!
No, the FW charts are usually established based on a particular year. They aren’t re-set every year. The first FW points chart for RIV was established in 2019 and didn’t change for several years. You can get a copy of the current FW chart for any DVC resort that offers them. I think someone posted a link to one, sometime in the last week or so.

Yeah looking at week 4 on the RIV fixed week chart for example, it's all by itself so they probably averaged it across the lifetime to get the average points it would cost. So you can't buy during a "down" year to get a better FW point price.

I wonder if it could be a good idea just to have a fixed week for something that may be harder to book (like a duo/tower studio or standard studio at RIV) just to increase the value of the contract in case I had to sell it in the future or to have a good week to rent out for the years we may not use it

I'm actually surprised at the popularity of fixed weeks. The flexibility of the point system is what made DVC attractive to me. Sometimes I need a studio, sometimes I need a one, two or three bedroom. Sometimes multtiple units.

Although, I do see the advantage of not having to call and book reservations if you usually want the same size unit and can only travel a specific week annually. I'm just surpised so many people are locked into the same vacation week for travel every year.

Last edited:
Knowing what I know now, I'm surprised more people don't get fixed weeks. If you are going to buy a decent amount of direct points anyway, its basically giving you a way to guarantee a hard to book room at a hard to book time for 10% extra, with the option to cancel and book something else with no penalty and regaining that 10% fee. It's a win win in my book

Yeah looking at week 4 on the RIV fixed week chart for example, it's all by itself so they probably averaged it across the lifetime to get the average points it would cost. So you can't buy during a "down" year to get a better FW point price.

I wonder if it could be a good idea just to have a fixed week for something that may be harder to book (like a duo/tower studio or standard studio at RIV) just to increase the value of the contract in case I had to sell it in the future or to have a good week to rent out for the years we may not use it
I posted a similar question a couple of weeks back and landed exactly there.

We always travel the same week in August and will for awhile. But that week is not challenging at all to book. While the idea of not having to worry about the reservation/room type is tempting, in the off chance I sell I don't think buyers will be clamoring to buy ;)

I'm still on the fence about RIV overall but if I do buy I'll most likely buy a FW for a popular week as a hedge and just not use until I need to.

You have to cancel the reservation and book a new one, subject to availability.

CCV did offer Race Weeks that were tied to a specific runDisney race weekend, and the owner had some flexibility e.g. could choose Wednesday through Wednesday to cover an entire race weekend. I don’t think they’re still offered, though. And none of the other resorts have them.
I inquired about race weeks recently and they confirmed that they were not available for RIV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter