• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight of Passage motion

marialexus35

Earning My Ears
I get motion sickness and cannot do many attractions. I can however do Soarin and really enjoy it. There are a couple of motions that begin to bother me but I usually blink my eyes shut for a second or two and it is ok. I have fast passes for our up coming trip for Flight of Passage. I would like anyones feedback as to how the motion affects them and is it similar to Soarin. Thanks

I think you're going to have to try it and see for yourself. People have different reactions to FoP. To me it's somewhat similar to Soarin', only about 3 billion times better. The thing that saves FoP if you do find yourself uncomfortable, is that you can just close your eyes--problem solved. My DH, who never previously had any issues, couldn't take FoP. It was "too real." And, oddly, after that, he's been having a hard time with both Soarin' and Philharmagic, neither of which ever bothered him before.

I personally adore FoP and can't get enough of it--and I am not into coasters and rides with lots of wild motion.

Everyone's experience is different. Give it a try. See if you like it. You may love it. And if you don't love it, just close your eyes.

HTH.

My sister CANNOT do motion simulators, they make her crazy sick. (She can handle Soarin’, but leaves it a little green) after reading a lot about FOP she decided to give it a try. She said it was more like Soarin’ than it was star tours, and she didn’t get too sick, but she opted to skip the FP for our upcoming trip.

it starts off nice and relaxing like Soarin, then there is an "interaction" that ramps up the motion and becomes more herky-jerky. there is wind blowing at your face, so deep breaths and closing your eyes if necessary will get you through it.

well worth it to try.

I get motion sickness on spinny rides, motion simulators, and in the back seat of a car. I have no problems on Soarin and love it. I tried FOP this summer and had to close my eyes about 15 seconds into it because I felt sick to my stomach. I tried to open my eyes a couple of times and closed them almost instantly. The major difference with this attraction is that you are much closer to the screen. It is difficult to look straight ahead and block out the peripheral motion, which helps contribute to motion sickness. As pp said, everyone should try it for themselves because your reaction could be different. My family said it was amazing!

If you decide to try it, there is a "guide" on screen, try to keep your eye on her when you are looking at the screen, she is a point of reference to focus the eye on, and it should help.

I get motion sickness and cannot do many attractions. I can however do Soarin and really enjoy it. There are a couple of motions that begin to bother me but I usually blink my eyes shut for a second or two and it is ok. I have fast passes for our up coming trip for Flight of Passage. I would like anyones feedback as to how the motion affects them and is it similar to Soarin. Thanks

I do not get sick on rides like this, so I can't speak to that part. As for comparing it to Soarin', technically yes it's a similar concept. But it's Soarin' on serious steroids. The motion feels much more real and is more intense...when you're "flying", you do some dives, turns, etc... It's amazing, but definitely on a much different level than Soarin'.

I'll chime in for another data point - for me, Soarin' is lovely. Star Tours maybe gets me a little bit. On FoP I was just starting to think, "I may have a problem here" about the time the ride ended. So that's where they fall on my motion sickness spectrum.

I’ve overcome my fear of heights on Soarin. I tried FOP once and after a few moments, I just closed my eyes and I was fine. I’ve come to realize that I get nauseous and motion sick from any ride with 3D glasses-Toy Story Mania included. With me, it’s age-related and became an issue after age 65.

I get motion sick, but just close my eyes for certain parts in FoP. It’s an amazing ride so probably worth a try unless you think it might ruin your whole day.

There are significantly more motion sick parts than Soarin and Star Tours for me.

Last edited:
I think it FoP is very similar to Soarin in that it is a very smooth ride. There is wind blowing in your face the whole time which helps with the motion sickness. Don’t let the steriods thing people say throw you off- FoP is a Very smooth ride, not jerky at all.
The ride vehicle never leaves the ground just kind of tilts side to side.
NOT like Star Tours at all which is super jerky.
I get motion sick very very easily and FoP was just mildly queasy to me. It’s the smell in Pandora after the ride which really makes it nausea inducing.
Can you maybe get some zofran from your doctor so you don’t miss out?

I am prone to motion sickness (mission space, star tours, etc.) but have to say FOP was fine for me! There was one part that I felt might make me queasy so I closed my eyes quickly and was able to reopen them and was fine! It was so worth the experience so I would suggest trying it out for yourself!

My sister CANNOT do motion simulators, they make her crazy sick. (She can handle Soarin’, but leaves it a little green) after reading a lot about FOP she decided to give it a try. She said it was more like Soarin’ than it was star tours, and she didn’t get too sick, but she opted to skip the FP for our upcoming trip.
This is me too. I cant do motion simulator rides...star tours makes me sick. Soarin makes me a tad nauseated. So when i tried FOP i knew i'd at least get queasy. And i was right. I left that ride feeling nauseous (worse than Soarin' but about the same as Star Tours, if not worse). I did it once, and im glad I did....but i honestly don't think i'll do FOP ever again. Its worth trying once though.

BTW use ginger pills if you can, it really helps.

I get motion sickness so easily, I get it if I scroll a website too fast (seriously) and I didn't feel sick on FOP. Like everyone else said, everyone is different. I feel pretty sick after Star Tours, but I think that's because the screen is so far away you could potentially be looking at something other than the screen but your body is jerking all over the place. FOP is right in front of your face and I think it makes it a little easier cause you have no choice but to look at where you are going on the screen vs what your body feels.

Maybe try it at the end of your day so in case you do feel nauseous it won’t ruin your whole day.
It’s a fun ride, and if you like Avatar it’s a must do.

I am prone to motion sickness on anything that goes in a circle, and also things that go backwards (Everest is a big no-no for me). I love Soarin and Star Tours. Soarin doesn’t ever bother me and I can usually ride Star Tours twice without issue. This being said...

We rode FOP in July. It was absolutely amazing. I cried when it was over the first time because I was so blown away. Anyway, during our DVC tour the day before, we were talking with the cast members about FOP. I told them about my motion sickness issues. I was on the fence about taking anything. They recommended that I did because I shouldn’t miss it. They also told me if I felt sick, to look to my right. When you do that, you can see the people beside you and it helps to focus your eyes.

So, I took my Bonine an hour before we rode. Even with that, I had to close my eyes at one point, and did look to my right one other time. But, I was perfectly fine when the ride was over. Even with the few motion sickness bouts, I will absolutely, without a doubt, ride it the next time we’re at WDW. It truly is not to be missed.

I get motion sick easily and avoid things that spin and 3D films that look like you are swooping, etc. I do fine on Soarin'. I have ridden FoP three times and I am done with it. The first time I went into it determined to look at the film and not think about getting sick. I had to close my eyes a few times and by the time I got off I was shaky and felt sick. It took me some time to recover and a carbonated drink helped.

The second time I went I decided that I would just close my eyes or look to the left (or right) at the people in the next theater. That didn't work because I felt every movement of the "motorcycle". It felt like I was on an airplane that was going through really rough weather, where the plane goes up, down, tilts, etc. I wasn't quite as sick as the first time, but I was really glad it was over.

The third time I decided to take Dramamine. I still had trouble with the screen with the fast moving action. It was very intense. But this time, when I closed my eyes, I didn't get motion sickness. I came out of that ride in the best shape of all. I didn't get motion sickness. But I couldn't take the intensity of the ride and decided that it was not for me. But it is an awesome ride and I'm glad I gave it my best shot. :)

I have astigmatism and can't do first person simulators which Star Tours and Flight of Passage are. Have ridden both more than once, I don't like either, and choose not to ride them anymore. What DOES help a little is wearing my glasses (which I typically don't do in the park) underneath the 3D glasses. I can handle Soarin' fine because you aren't wearing the 3D glasses and it's a broader view.

I am prone to motion sickness. I can't even watch my son play video games. I take bonine each night for my WDW trips. I don't do anything that spins. Coaster, I am ok with. Soarin does not bother me at all. Star Tours makes me a little queasy. FOP was worse that ST. I tried to keep my eyes open because i really wanted to see it. but, i was relieved when it was over.
Still, I got FPs for my upcoming trip. I plan to take 2 bonine tabs the night before. LOL.

My dad did both Soarin' and FOP earlier this year, both after big meals. He had no problem on Soarin' but got sick on FOP. No vomit all over the floor but was definitely unpleasant for him. With that being said he thinks he would try it again if he took Dramamine before but he still hasn't decided for our next trip. He felt better soon after so it wasn't an all day issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter