Flight time- What would you pick and why?

We flew from Honolulu to Buffalo. Left about 3pm Hawaii time, got to Atlanta at 6am eastern time, and were home in Buffalo around 12pm EST. For us, it was very difficult to sleep on the plane, because most of our plane ride was just evening time as opposed to overnight. We weren't tired until about the last 1-2 hours of our flight and at that point, we didn't want to try to get comfortable to sleep. We had a 2 and a half hour layover in Atlanta and by that time, we were complete zombies. Fell asleep in the gate area which was very uncomfortable, and tried to sleep a little on the flight from Atlanta to Buffalo which was short. We were exhausted when we got home. But the good side to getting little to no sleep on the way home was that we went to bed at a normal time at home, so it helped to minimize any sleep troubles/re-adjusting back in our time zone.

I can't speak to other airlines, but I'll also add that we loved our Delta flight. Our plane was the Airbus 330 and we were in regular coach and had hundreds of free movies and TV shows at our seat, free meals, free alcohol. We'd try to fly this plane again if we ever go again just for the comfort/convenience factor, regardless of flight times.

I too love Delta, and I'm really hoping the flight time that works for us best will be on Delta. I keep eyeing up a few options and watching the price hoping it will do down.
Does Delta still offer free food etc on these flights? That's a huge plus!!!

Does Delta still offer free food etc on these flights?

Yes! All fare classes get free snacks and a free hot meal. We also got a free sandwich in addition to that an hour before we landed. They also provide free alcohol and soft drinks. This began September 2016.

I saw upthread that you're staying at the Westin in Maui. If you have not been before, you will love it! There are some photos and details of it in my trip report in my signature. We stayed at four different resorts on our trip, including Aulani and the Westin, and Westin was probably my second favorite one after Aulani. Perfect location too!

Yes! All fare classes get free snacks and a free hot meal. We also got a free sandwich in addition to that an hour before we landed. They also provide free alcohol and soft drinks. This began September 2016.

I saw upthread that you're staying at the Westin in Maui. If you have not been before, you will love it! There are some photos and details of it in my trip report in my signature. We stayed at four different resorts on our trip, including Aulani and the Westin, and Westin was probably my second favorite one after Aulani. Perfect location too!

That's awesome that Delta provides all that! That's a huge plus when picking airlines. Thank you for telling me about that:)
Yes, we're staying at The Westin. I'm so happy to hear you loved it!!
This may sound funny, but how do I access your trip report in your signature? I couldn't figure it out lol

Just read your TR, wow, it was sooo good!!!!! Congrats on your marriage, and looks like you had an amazing time in Hawaii:)
You got to see and do a lot!
I do believe though, that you stayed at the other Westin? We're staying at The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas which is a sister property of The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas.
Orignally we were staying at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas- North Building, but The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas is their brand new property that just opened up, so switched to it which is right next door.

@flinkerfrosch thank you so much! :) You're right, we stayed at the regular Westin, not the Villas. We did utilize the shuttle which makes a stop at the Villas and they look gorgeous! Take advantage of the shuttle to Lahaina and the Whaler's Village if you can - a nice perk, especially to avoid the parking and if you plan on having a few drinks!

@flinkerfrosch thank you so much! :) You're right, we stayed at the regular Westin, not the Villas. We did utilize the shuttle which makes a stop at the Villas and they look gorgeous! Take advantage of the shuttle to Lahaina and the Whaler's Village if you can - a nice perk, especially to avoid the parking and if you plan on having a few drinks!

You're welcome:)

Will most definitely utilize the shuttle! Thanks for the tips:)

One more question- Hawaii is 5 hours behind us, right? I keep reading some people say 6, but I thought it was 5?

I'd do the 9:45 flight. We flew with our kids when they were those ages, and while overnight flights can be fairly miserable, at least you may get a couple of hours of sleep. We're taking our now teenagers next month and are taking a flight around that time. As far as layovers, 1 1/2 hours is plenty for us. Longer than 2 hours and the time in the airport just drags on and on.

In terms of airlines, we fly coach on United (using frequent flyer miles), and they only offer meals for purchase. On most planes, they've moved away from screens in seats to using the United app on your own device to choose from a variety of movies. My DH and I had a 5hr flight this spring, and I was kicking myself because I didn't think to bring the dongle for my iphone7, so I couldn't plus in headphones. Definitely going to remember that for Hawaii!

One more question- Hawaii is 5 hours behind us, right? I keep reading some people say 6, but I thought it was 5?

In the summer, Hawaii is 6 hours behind the East Coast; in the winter it's 5. Like Arizona, Hawaii does not recognize daylight saving time.

Side note: in the summer it gets dark at home close to 9pm. In the winter it gets dark about 5pm. In Hawaii it gets dark about 7pm, year round. That was one of the weird things to get used to when we moved there!

Yep, PP is correct that it's due to daylight savings time. We were there in September, before the clocks turn back in November, so it was 6 hours behind eastern time. If you're there in the winter after the clocks turn back in November but before we turn them forward in March, it will only be 5 hours difference.

Yep, PP is correct that it's due to daylight savings time. We were there in September, before the clocks turn back in November, so it was 6 hours behind eastern time. If you're there in the winter after the clocks turn back in November but before we turn them forward in March, it will only be 5 hours difference.

Okay, I understand now, thanks:)

I'm curious about another thing you mentioned about inter-Island flights. We will be flying from Ohau to Maui on a Tuesday. You mentioned taking an earlier or later flight, not mid day. Are you about to comment on the traffic in Honolulu and when a good time to fly out would be?
In the am, how early to avoid traffic and in the pm, how late to avoid traffic?
I was thinking about doing an 11am or noon flight, is that too late? Or a 6pm (ish) flight.

In the summer, Hawaii is 6 hours behind the East Coast; in the winter it's 5. Like Arizona, Hawaii does not recognize daylight saving time.

Side note: in the summer it gets dark at home close to 9pm. In the winter it gets dark about 5pm. In Hawaii it gets dark about 7pm, year round. That was one of the weird things to get used to when we moved there!

Thank you! I never considered our daylight savings time, so makes total sense now:)
I do like that it stays light out until about 7pm in Hawaii because back here at home, it's so depressing when it's pitch black out at only 5pm:(

I'd do the 9:45 flight. We flew with our kids when they were those ages, and while overnight flights can be fairly miserable, at least you may get a couple of hours of sleep. We're taking our now teenagers next month and are taking a flight around that time. As far as layovers, 1 1/2 hours is plenty for us. Longer than 2 hours and the time in the airport just drags on and on.

In terms of airlines, we fly coach on United (using frequent flyer miles), and they only offer meals for purchase. On most planes, they've moved away from screens in seats to using the United app on your own device to choose from a variety of movies. My DH and I had a 5hr flight this spring, and I was kicking myself because I didn't think to bring the dongle for my iphone7, so I couldn't plus in headphones. Definitely going to remember that for Hawaii!

How do you like United? I hear a lot of negative reviews and makes me nervous to fly this airline. Their is a flight time that I like, but it's with United.
On United, do they have outlets to plug in your phone? Watching a movie on it for X amount of hours would certainly drain the battery life.

How do you like United? I hear a lot of negative reviews and makes me nervous to fly this airline. Their is a flight time that I like, but it's with United.
On United, do they have outlets to plug in your phone? Watching a movie on it for X amount of hours would certainly drain the battery life.

I find checking the aircraft on seatguru.com helps give info on seats, power, and such.

Honestly we always fly United because DH flies internationally for work and accrues a lot of points, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Yes, there are outlets at each seat. Comfort-wise we do okay with the economy plus seats, but of course they're pretty tight and not very comfortable for overnight flights. We've always had good service, and the food is decent (but not free). We're taking a direct flight from Chicago to Maui, and nine hours on a plane is long on any airline!

Okay, I understand now, thanks:)

I'm curious about another thing you mentioned about inter-Island flights. We will be flying from Ohau to Maui on a Tuesday. You mentioned taking an earlier or later flight, not mid day. Are you about to comment on the traffic in Honolulu and when a good time to fly out would be?
In the am, how early to avoid traffic and in the pm, how late to avoid traffic?
I was thinking about doing an 11am or noon flight, is that too late? Or a 6pm (ish) flight.

We booked all of our flights around 11am-1pm, which I consider mid-day. We'd leave our hotel around 8:30am and wouldn't get to our next resort until say 2pm-ish. By the time we checked in and our room was ready, it was likely after 3pm before we were settled in our new space. To us, that took a large chunk out of our day and we essentially lost a day with the travel logistics. In retrospect, I would have booked say a 7-8am flight out, even though we would have had to get up early. But at least we'd be settled into our new destination by lunch time with the rest of the day to enjoy. Or the other option would be to take an 9-10pm flight out, which would give you the whole day wherever you are before you'd need to head to the airport.

Will you be traveling from Aulani to the airport or are you staying elsewhere on Oahu? We left Aulani around 12:30pm to head to the airport the day we left, and hit no traffic. Traffic is most prominent around 6am-9am and 3pm-7pm in my experience. If you need to drive to the airport during rush hour, I probably would give myself at least an hour for the commute. We always like to be at the airport at least 90 minutes in advance, anyway. We hit no traffic on Maui, however we stayed in the Kaanapali area which was a good 45-50 minute drive to and from the airport with no traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter