Florida senators introduce bill to allow cruise lines to restart

Theres a few Carribean ports that are setting up bubbles for cruise passengers. The Bahamas are 1 for example.

that is true, and it might provide a solution for some. I’m not sure that everybody would want to cruise to islands to be in a bubble. And, some islands haven’t opened at all yet. I am hopeful that at some point in the future cruise and will return to normal, I’m just not sure when that will happen. I’d very much appreciate that a number of people have been put out of work both at sea and at port due to this.

If you're truly concerned about all the unemployed people in the US, and have disposable income, please frequent locally owned restaurants (even for carry out), and tip the staff. That helps your local community, and those businesses pay more in tax and more of those people's incomes return to the local ecosystem than any money spent with the big multinational cruise lines.

You all do realize the CDC has no authority to tell cruise ships or ports what the can and cannot do...they're just "giving guidelines", which the cruise industry is following. CDC does not pass law or make federal mandates of anykind.

Not just airlines I'm afraid. Here's an article about how a Carnival ship was a major factor in Australia's outbreaks. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...uise-ship-spread-coronavirus-around-the-world
The report’s sharpest criticism was reserved for the process the government used to clear the Ruby to dock, which it said was marked by “serious errors.”
Blundering by land officials made it worse-and that includes Diamond Princess in US. And yet-air travel was still allowed to go on. If the cruise passengers had been properly quarantined they would NOT have been allowed to immediately fly home. The FLYING spread the virus. The passengers were contained on ship-with the virus. Remember the fiasco with extremely poor communication and execution when Americans were recalled from abroad? Extremely crowded close quarters for HOURS with people trying to get home. Caused major surges and likely led to far more virus spread-yet press is still focused on cruise ships...instead of messed up airline procedures.

Mistakes made everywhere. But this was also in early days (March) really before so much more was known. The travel ban stopped foreign nationals, NOT Americans who may have been infected. Yet no one points this out...

You all do realize the CDC has no authority to tell cruise ships or ports what the can and cannot do...they're just "giving guidelines", which the cruise industry is following. CDC does not pass law or make federal mandates of anykind.

Not exactly true. See https://www.cdc.gov/regulations/index.html "As the nation’s public health protection agency, CDC has certain authorities to implement regulations related to protecting America from health and safety threats, both foreign and within the United States, and increasing public health security."

In the case of cruise ships that use US ports or sail through US waters, among other things there are regulations that apply, guidelines that are issued, and right now the No Sail Order that is in place [see https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf ].

While the CDC doesn't create the laws, "CDC and other agencies implement public health laws passed by Congress through Federal Regulations. After a Congressional bill becomes law, federal agencies may be responsible for putting the law into action through the development of regulations—also known as “rules.” Federal regulations give the public details or specific requirements of how the law will be applied. The process of creating regulations or rules is called rulemaking." (quote from the first link above)

Earlier in the summer a couple of the major lines announced they were putting together their own group of experts to come up with a safe return to cruising plan.

Have they sated publically how that plan has gone ? Did they come up with one ? What it looks like ? Is it ready ? Have they presented it to the CDC [and if so did they get a response or crickets?]

SW

Earlier in the summer a couple of the major lines announced they were putting together their own group of experts to come up with a safe return to cruising plan.

Have they sated publically how that plan has gone ? Did they come up with one ? What it looks like ? Is it ready ? Have they presented it to the CDC [and if so did they get a response or crickets?]

SW
That was Royal and I believe NCL. Supposed to be an open source effort that any line can use. Though I have a sneaky suspicion Disney will try and go at it alone. Havent seen anything yet other then NCL saying enough is enough to the CDC.

that is true, and it might provide a solution for some. I’m not sure that everybody would want to cruise to islands to be in a bubble. And, some islands haven’t opened at all yet. I am hopeful that at some point in the future cruise and will return to normal, I’m just not sure when that will happen. I’d very much appreciate that a number of people have been put out of work both at sea and at port due to this.
Cruising will be back to normal at some point. They'll probably be alot of behind the scenes things that will change regarding handling of certain illnesses, air filtration sanitation etc that will likely change.

Personally my family wants to get on a cruise, however we don't want to get on 1 where we can't get off unless its a ships sponsored tour. Going to a bubble on the beach wouldn't be bad but we like to just walk around ports and see whats around at our leisure, with out having a timed tour to do it.

They've done it in the past. Theres been a few ships from big lines that have failed miserably at a random CDC inspection and canceled the cruise before it left until corrections were made.

Cruising will be back to normal at some point. They'll probably be alot of behind the scenes things that will change regarding handling of certain illnesses, air filtration sanitation etc that will likely change.

Personally my family wants to get on a cruise, however we don't want to get on 1 where we can't get off unless its a ships sponsored tour. Going to a bubble on the beach wouldn't be bad but we like to just walk around ports and see whats around at our leisure, with out having a timed tour to do it.

we are the same.

If cruise lines were allowed to cruise right now don’t know if I will cruise or not. I’m not afraid of covid but what I am afraid of is being stuck on a ship in my cabin for who knows how long.If covid breaks out. Hope the cruise lines starts back up soon thou for all the workers and the people that want to cruise.

Not exactly true. See https://www.cdc.gov/regulations/index.html "As the nation’s public health protection agency, CDC has certain authorities to implement regulations related to protecting America from health and safety threats, both foreign and within the United States, and increasing public health security."

In the case of cruise ships that use US ports or sail through US waters, among other things there are regulations that apply, guidelines that are issued, and right now the No Sail Order that is in place [see https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf ].

While the CDC doesn't create the laws, "CDC and other agencies implement public health laws passed by Congress through Federal Regulations. After a Congressional bill becomes law, federal agencies may be responsible for putting the law into action through the development of regulations—also known as “rules.” Federal regulations give the public details or specific requirements of how the law will be applied. The process of creating regulations or rules is called rulemaking." (quote from the first link above)

They're overreaching...which these agencies tend to do until someone calls them out on it. I'm not an attorney, but those in charge of cruise companies might want to look at executive order 13563 from 2011, which states "Section 1. General Principles of Regulation. (a) Our regulatory system must protect public health, welfare, safety, and our environment while promoting economic growth, innovation, competitiveness, and job creation."

What in the CDC's response to cruising is promoting economic growth???

I'm not sure that a 7 hour flight to nowhere is what I'd call a "vacation". I can remember a time when flying was part of the vacation, but with narrower, less padded seats, no leg room, and limited bar/snack/food service, it's not particularly an attractive way to travel anymore.
I agree! The flight is just the means of getting where we're going as quickly as possible. It's not enjoyable but we can take a 2 hour direct flight to MCO or spend 2 days in the car.

Cruise lines are not even US businesses. Cruising right now is a terrible, terrible idea. Even if they were to resume sailing, how many people would actually cruise? Profit margins are tough on ships in the best of times.
I would in a heartbeat, just like I go to restaurants, hotels and the gym. Life is not guaranteed, I’m gonna die someday, and I’d rather actually live while I’m here on earth than be a recluse scared of what might kill me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter