Fly into LAX or John Wayne. It's $60 cheaper for LAX. Is it worth it?

imdreaming

Earning My Ears
My son and I are flying to Disneyland in September. I can save $60 in airfare by flying into LAX. I know LAX is farther and more conjested. I still haven't work out tranportation yet. It will have to be a shuttle or cab. Do you think it would be better just to fly into John Wayne, and be cheaper to get to Disneyland because it is closer? thanks jill

I think the $60 savings for airfare will be spent on transportation to Disneyland. In addition, John Wayne Airport is much easier to navigate.

We have flown into LAX a few times and John Wayne a few times and we prefer John Wayne. The commute to Disneyland is sooooo much faster and convenient. Not to mention the fact that if you take a bus from LAX you usually have to make several stops at hotels till you get to yours and it is more expensive from LAX for transportation. Just my 2 cents :goodvibes

If you're taking a shuttle anyway, fly where you save money... the difference in taking a shuttle from SNA vs. LAX to the Disneyland resort area is something like $10 roundtrip... you'll still save money. Besides, flying into and out of SNA can be all weird... what with the whole "cutting the engines to abide by City of Santa Ana's noise ordinances" thing... always creeps me out.

It's easier, closer and there is less traffic if you fly into John Wayne.

Is that $60 per person or total?
If it's per person, fly into LAX. We did in May and had no problem driving from the airport to DL. Took us about forty minutes. We flew in on a Saturday evening and arrived in the area about the time the fireworks started.
It was wonderful driving up I-5 approaching the exit and seeing all the fireworks exploding above us. Definitely set up our mood for visiting DL.
So LAX might not be a bad choice if you want to save the money for other things.

We were originally scheduled with United to fly into LAX. Thanks to them changing our flight times by 2 hours, I got them to switch our flights to John Wayne.

It was so simple to get around and transportation was a breeze. We didn't make any ground transportation reservations at all. When we got there, we just went right out front from where you pick up your luggage and got a van taxi (we had 4 adults and a ton of luggage). We waited less than 2 minutes for a van, a regular taxi would have been no wait at all.

It only cost $32 plus tip and couldn't have been easier. We stayed at the GC and 2 hours before our flight, we stepped outside and had them bring a van taxi up, no wait at all.

Even at $60 per person more, I'd still use John Wayne Airport! Btw..I knew nothing about them cutting their engines so I guess what you know won't hurt you!;)

I'm still debating the same thing.... We are flying in to San Diego and driving north to Anaheim. I can fly out of anywhere, but LAX is cheaper than SNA. At least $50pp and there are 5 of us! I will probably choose LAX... besides there are more flights to chose from at LAX.

---Paul in Southern NJ

We just flew into John Wayne and loved it! We landed at about 9 am, walked down to baggage claim, waited about 5-10 minutes and the luggage started coming, and we were in a rent car and on our way by 10 am.

Imdreaming even if it's 60 pp I'd fly into SNA (Orange County). The drive from LAX can be a nightmare!! While it's true that redcon made it in 40 min, that was at an off time. Depending on when you land, it could be twice that! SNA is a great little airport! It's so easy to get to DL from there.
All that said, Paul (psimon) I would probably recommend you fly out of LAX. With the size of your group, and the fact that it's only flying home, I think I would elect to save the money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter