• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying Fish Cafe

Boston5602

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering if it is out of the ordinary for an Area Manager of Restaurants to introduce himself at dinner and then call our room to thank us ? He must have looked up who we were , and where we were staying since we didn't give that info.

He came up to us twice during dinner. We watched to see how many people he went up to and we didn't see him go up to anyone else.

We've had people come and ask us how things were going before , but found it out of the ordinary to get a call in our room.

This has never happened to us at any restaurant. Were you having a pleasant experience?

I notice that you're from Mass. and therefore used to eating good seafood. Are you "regulars" at the Flying Fish? We've never eaten there, and would like to. Do you have a favorite dish to have there? Is the fish primarily from Florida?

Bobbi:goodvibes

Hey Boston,
I'll bet his name was Keith. If so, he's new to the Flying Fish and takes his job very seriously. FF is one of our favorites and we eat there as often as we can afford and have noticed that he is very tuned in to everything going on at the restaurant. A phone call is a bit surprising, however.

Bobbi, some of the fish is from Florida but I'd guess that most of it isn't but it's all fresh and excellent. Their signature dishes are a crab cake appetiser that is out of this world and red snapper that is wrapped in a very, very thin coating of potato of all things. It's dynamite. Certainly worth a try.
John

Yuhp His name was Keith !

We were enjoying ourselves very much and having nothing but great service. We usually eat here every trip.

I usually always have the potato encrusted red snapper over leeks too, every time it is soooooo good. I also start with the crab cakes to.

The food is always terrific and most of the menu changes with what is fresh for the day. The menu's are printed every day. In addition to good food , we ALWAYS get Great service from the staff !

We were enjoying ourselves very much and having nothing but great service. We usually eat here every trip.

I usually always have the potato encrusted red snapper over leeks too, every time it is soooooo good. I also start with the crab cakes to.

The food is always terrific and most of the menu changes with what is fresh for the day. The menu's are printed every day. In addition to good food , we ALWAYS get Great service from the staff !

I go there whenever I get to WDW (about twice a year.) I usually ask for Didi to be my server. He is fantastic!

The food and service are, imho, superb.

Also if you go to the Flying Fish, try a salad that is on the menu that has the fresh peaches in it. Really good. I'm a very picky salad eater. It was yummy.

In fact, last trip a few weeks ago I had two salads that were yummy. The one at Flying Fish and one at Artist Point. The one at AP had roasted beets and glazed walnuts. I made a happy plate with that one.

I do have to say that a phone call from a restaurant manager would have made me feel just a little creepy. I certainly don't mind a manger visiting while I'm enjoying my meal, but a phone call after .......:confused3

I do have to say that a phone call from a restaurant manager would have made me feel just a little creepy. I certainly don't mind a manger visiting while I'm enjoying my meal, but a phone call after .......:confused3
::yes:: Yep...does sound a bit odd.

Hi Boston (I live one town over) It does sound strange that the manager called you but I agree with the great service there. I'm looking forward to getting back there during our next trip.

I was just wondering if it is out of the ordinary for an Area Manager of Restaurants to introduce himself at dinner and then call our room to thank us ?

We were just at Flying Fish last week. We also had a call from him the next day, infact it came in around 12:30am that night. It was kinda strange.

We were just at Flying Fish last week. We also had a call from him the next day, infact it came in around 12:30am that night. It was kinda strange.

I can see if I was hitting on him , but yeah , he called at almost 11 pm !
11 am the next day would not have been so wierd!

I can see if I was hitting on him , but yeah , he called at almost 11 pm !
11 am the next day would not have been so wierd!

It sure scared me the next morning to wake up and see the little message light blinking. I was wondering what happened and if I missed a phone call during the night.

I think I'd report the phone call to someone, maybe he's just being nice but we have never been called. We eat at signature restaurants and go at least two times a year for a week.

When you say called at 11pm, did your phone to your room actually ring at that time, or did he leave a message? If the phone actually rang that would bother me

Staff can leave messages without ringing the phone and as to the time, that is not necessarily when he actually left the message, but when the message center sent it out.

Staff can send multiple messages, like group emails and they go out at different times.

If he called to make sure you had a good time, I see nothing wrong with that. We have gotten calls from staff managers before, to check on our stays and dining experiences and never thought anything about it, other than it was a nice gesture from a caring staff member.

We were out when the message said it was received so I don't know if it actually rang or not.

I guess if I try to get a ressie and can't, I'll call him since he left his number and all and see if he can help .

If so I'll be very happy to have gotten the call!

If it rang, that was a mistake on the sake of the call center. Staff can send silent voice mail and that is what we always gets when staff leaves us a message.

They have done this for a couple of years actually, we have gotten calls before. Mainly it is just a nice way to let you know they were glad you visited.

Usually they go out to the locals, guest staying at the particular resort. Such as when we dined at the Yachtsman we got a call to our Yacht Club room thanking us. Kinda a like thanks for dining in house thing.

I doubt though it will lead to priority reservations.

I love the FF. My husband and I cannot seem to get past the Ahi Tuna on the menu. It is great!

No one from a Disney restaurant has ever called me since we started going in 1975!
Anyway, it does sound like the new man trying to get started on the right foot.
Ane we usually get silent messages too. We've actually been in the room, no ring on the phone, then all of a sudden the message light goes on.

OK---OK enough already!! :crazy: Bad enough I'm not in WDW but now I'm starving as well! Think I'll have to make a trip to FF in Oct. Thanks for the post. I have not eaten there yet but you all have convinced me. :worship:potato encrusted red snapper over leeks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter