Flying Fish - Old menu items

mnmmoney

Mouseketeer
Hi - LOVED the Flying Fish - strip steak and potato wrapped Snapper off the old menu. We craved the Oak Charred Strip Steak between visits and sometimes ate at FF more than once a trip ... now nothing on the menu is making me want to go there - Does anyone know if they make either of those "old" specialties on request - just hoping - does not look like they have the strip nor snapper on the menu to do it.

I think the new menu is completely unappealing, and obviously, since they're offering deep discounts to AP holders to eat there, I'm not alone in thinking that way.
I have to disagree. IMO the menu is fantastic. The food coming out of this kitchen is among the best on property. Having said that, the discounts are part of a larger problem WDW is having with charging more for families on a budget to visit property during the summer. Locals also don't go out as much during the peak season, many of whom frequent these restaurants. I have been to FF five plus times since they reopened and spoke with Chef Tim multiple times...the food has always been great. I hope you give it a chance on your next trip...you may be surprised.

I think they ruined this restaurant since the refurb.

It used to have a menu that sounded appetizing. Now it reads like a list of weird and pretentious ingredients. It used to invite guests with its whimsical decor. Now it looks stuffy like you need to dress up in tuxedos and evening gowns to dine there.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. IMO the menu is fantastic. The food coming out of this kitchen is among the best on property. Having said that, the discounts are part of a larger problem WDW is having with charging more for families on a budget to visit property during the summer. Locals also don't go out as much during the peak season, many of whom frequent these restaurants. I have been to FF five plus times since they reopened and spoke with Chef Tim multiple times...the food has always been great. I hope you give it a chance on your next trip...you may be surprised.
There's also much increased competition for signature dining. Now there's Boathouse, Morimoto, STK, Paddlefish and Tiffins competing for the same group of customers ...

I personally LOVE the new menu. I had the potato-wrapped snapper from the old menu before the redo, and felt it to be dry and over cooked, and not really that flavorful. They did have a sushi roll on the old menu that I LOVED, and am sad to see go. We ate at FF right after the re-opening, and I had a scallop dish that was to die for. This past trip, I had the Chilean Sea Bass with Octopus and Key West Shrimp, and it was AMAZING. My husband had the shark, and thought it to be one of the best meals he ate this trip.

I'm looking at the current menu, and aside from the Octopus in the dish I had, I don't see what ingredients can be considered weird or pretentious.

And, I love the redo, it actually looks like a signature restaurant now. I LOVE the cute touches such as the silverware having fish scales on the handles and the light fixtures looking like air bubbles underwater. It's a subtle, elegant-yet-fun nod to the ocean. The prior décor seemed a little TOO whimsical, and had a clown-like quality that seems a touch creepy to me o_O

We were so excited to dine there with the 30% off for AP holders. The special is only for the summer, (and was only good for "off" dining times of before 6:30 and after 8:30) and it was for other popular restaurants, such as Jiko, Artist Point, and Citricos. I think it was offered as more of way to get locals to come out and dine at the signatures, as opposed to a reflection on FF's performance.

We also preferred the old menu. The redone restaurant is gorgeous, but we found the new food to be mediocre and the service was incredibly slow (our meal was 3 hours long). We've been to every signature on property and, with the prices they charge, if it doesn't impress on the first try, there won't be a second. It's quite disappointing to sit for 3 hours, eat mediocre food and then be handed a bill for multiple hundreds of dollars.

When we ate there after the re-opening, we decided to take it off the list of repeats. The only reason to go there, for us, were the steak and snapper. The new menu is too generic as is the decor IMO.

I think they ruined this restaurant since the returb.

It used to have a menu that sounded appetizing. Now it reads like a list of weird and pretentious ingredients. It used to invite guests with its whimsical decor. Now it looks stuffy like you need to dress up in tuxedos and evening gowns to dine there.

I like the decor. I thought that it was very comfortable. The menu is somewhat limited but I find that is true of most Disney restaurants. 30% off for AP holders was a great deal.

Some of my favorites are gone (potato wrapped snapper :worried:) but I always had such a great meal and service at FF that I will definitely be trying it again. That said, it's usually my first dinner and this time I chose Jiko for the first night. I know the signature places aren't for everyone, but I am glad that there are more "adult" choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter