• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying vs driving

ericstac

DIS Veteran
In the years past we’ve done both… flew to MCO got the magic bus that was included in trip, and used Disney transportation the entire time..

We’ve also driven from Houston to WDW and used our personal car to get to early AM rope drop, fun times!,

Now it looks like things have changed. No extra early morning hours and no magic bus transportation.

We are a party of 8 now instead of 5 and was going to rent a van to drive out there but I’m seeing some amazing AMEX deals with 150k points that could get us flights out there so I’m considering this.

I’m wondering how it’s best done once out there, do you Lyft to WDW and Disney transportation after that or do you rent a vehicle..

We will be at AKL in a deluxe villa and visiting all the parks.

I can't really advise you about the vehicle, since we fly to WDW and use their transportation, but I can comment on the early-morning hours.

There are, in fact, early morning hours. It's called Early Theme Park Entry and it's a half hour before the official park opening time. It's available to everyone staying in an on-site resort, so that would include you. Also included for you, since you're staying at a Deluxe, AKL, is Extended Evening Theme Park Hours. Read about that here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/extended-evening/

I can't really advise you about the vehicle, since we fly to WDW and use their transportation, but I can comment on the early-morning hours.

There are, in fact, early morning hours. It's called Early Theme Park Entry and it's a half hour before the official park opening time. It's available to everyone staying in an on-site resort, so that would include you. Also included for you, since you're staying at a Deluxe, AKL, is Extended Evening Theme Park Hours. Read about that here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/extended-evening/
Yeah I saw the 30 minute early thing, in years before it was even earlier. We will still do rope drop.

So I take it, when you fly in you taxi to WDW?

Yeah I saw the 30 minute early thing, in years before it was even earlier. We will still do rope drop.

So I take it, when you fly in you taxi to WDW?
When I fly in, I take the Mears shuttle, which is basically the paid version of what used to be Magical Express. But there's only one of me (I meet my travel companion at the resort, since she flies in from another city). It's about $17/person one-way, so I think that might be an expensive choice for a party of 7.

When you say you're going to rope-drop, do you mean during the ETPE time? Because if you wait until the official park opening time, you will have a LOT of company.

Yeah I saw the 30 minute early thing, in years before it was even earlier.
The 30 minutes now is more valuable than the 60 minutes they used to do, in my opinion.

The big difference is that it's every park, every day. When it was a full hour, it was only a single park so EVERYBODY went to that park. Now, the early crowds split 4 ways so even though you only have half the time, you have much fewer people to compete with.

We fly, always. We rent a car when we can find a good deal, and we skip it when rental car prices are outrageous. We don't Uber or Lyft because we still have car-seat-aged children and getting an Uber with one car seat is difficult; two car seats impossible. When we don't rent a car we do the Sunshine Flyer service (now operated by Mears and branded Mears Connect).

Even if you have a car, never drive to Magic Kingdom. The added steps of taking the tram from the parking lot and then the monorail or ferry takes longer than if you had just taken the bus in the first place. The other 3 parks are worth driving to.

We were at the bus stop an hour before early entry a couple of weeks ago and we were always among the fist people in the rope drop lines. 8:00 park open, 7:30 early entry, at the bus stop by 6:30, usually on the bus by 6:40.

When I fly in, I take the Mears shuttle, which is basically the paid version of what used to be Magical Express. But there's only one of me (I meet my travel companion at the resort, since she flies in from another city). It's about $17/person one-way, so I think that might be an expensive choice for a party of 7.

When you say you're going to rope-drop, do you mean during the ETPE time? Because if you wait until the official park opening time, you will have a LOT of company.
Definitely the ETPE time. We are morning people and love Disney breakfasts so we will rope drop hit a few rides and then an ADR around 10am. That’s the plan anyway

I'd recommend you at least take a look at rental options at MCO. I have no idea how expensive a vehicle for 8 would be, but it might be a valid option. Then you'd have transportation to/from MCO, but also options to drive to the parks on your own. Since you'll be at AKL, parking at the parks is free. You obviously still have access to Disney transportation, too. But I will say, since Covid, rental car pricing has been a bit crazy......

The 30 minutes now is more valuable than the 60 minutes they used to do, in my opinion.

The big difference is that it's every park, every day. When it was a full hour, it was only a single park so EVERYBODY went to that park. Now, the early crowds split 4 ways so even though you only have half the time, you have much fewer people to compete with.

We fly, always. We rent a car when we can find a good deal, and we skip it when rental car prices are outrageous. We don't Uber or Lyft because we still have car-seat-aged children and getting an Uber with one car seat is difficult; two car seats impossible. When we don't rent a car we do the Sunshine Flyer service (now operated by Mears and branded Mears Connect).

Even if you have a car, never drive to Magic Kingdom. The added steps of taking the tram from the parking lot and then the monorail or ferry takes longer than if you had just taken the bus in the first place. The other 3 parks are worth driving to.
Solid point about the early AM being spread out, that makes me more optimistic about this trip lol. I was so bummed when I read it was gone.

So it sounds like the rental is really just to get from airport to the resort.. so whichever is cheaper the Mears or rental is the best route. Don’t pay more for a rental just so we can drive to the parks.

Solid point about the early AM being spread out, that makes me more optimistic about this trip lol. I was so bummed when I read it was gone.
If you rope drop every day and buy Genie+ ONE day (Magic Kingdom full day), you should be able to do and see everything.

So it sounds like the rental is really just to get from airport to the resort.. so whichever is cheaper the Mears or rental is the best route. Don’t pay more for a rental just so we can drive to the parks.
I think having a car is *better* than relying on Mears, but not hugely so. If they're the same, or even if the rental car is slightly more expensive, I still think the rental car is the better route. But not if it's double or triple the cost.

If you rope drop every day and buy Genie+ ONE day (Magic Kingdom full day), you should be able to do and see everything.

I think having a car is *better* than relying on Mears, but not hugely so. If they're the same, or even if the rental car is slightly more expensive, I still think the rental car is the better route. But not if it's double or triple the cost.
I haven’t even wrapped my head around the new Genie+ thing lol. So you can buy it for just one day? I’ll read up on how it works and how to utilize it.

We've driven twice to Florida and, if I have my way, never again will I be stuck that long in a car. :crazy2:
We fly and we have always done the Mears Shuttle. DH is wondering about try Lyft this time. Personally, I think it's expensive but he thinks the cost is worth the time save.

I haven’t even wrapped my head around the new Genie+ thing lol. So you can buy it for just one day? I’ll read up on how it works and how to utilize it.
Yes, you buy it a day at a time - making the decision morning-of. Some days we buy it when we plan longer days with more attractions. Some days we don't. And note, you don't need to buy Genie+ to purchase the "E-Ticket" rides via Individual Lighting Lane (Tron, Mine Train, Guardians, ROTR, FOP), should you decide you want to ride one of those. That's a separate purchase.

We are residents of a “pedestrians’ paradise” so choose either train or fly. Amtrak is fine when the travel is part of the relaxing vacation vibe or we are making several stops. Flying is when we just want to get to our destination quickly.

I enjoyed the free transport from MCO but it really wasn’t a deal breaker since we already paid Uber to get us from the train station to WDW.

Since internal travel at MCO predominately revolved around the monorail and water transport we found it enjoyable being car-less. I think if we were dependent on certain property bus routes it would be less so.

Last edited:
Yes, you buy it a day at a time - making the decision morning-of. Some days we buy it when we plan longer days with more attractions. Some days we don't. And note, you don't need to buy Genie+ to purchase the "E-Ticket" rides via Individual Lighting Lane (Tron, Mine Train, Guardians, ROTR, FOP), should you decide you want to ride one of those. That's a separate purchase.
And now I need to read about Etickets lol… so many changes

And now I need to read about Etickets lol… so many changes
Better to rip off the band aid now......!! And we haven't brought up the Vitual Queues yet!!

You'll be fine, but it will take a little planning and research. Fortunately, you'll get most answers out here on the boards.

Better to rip off the band aid now......!! And we haven't brought up the Vitual Queues yet!!

You'll be fine, but it will take a little planning and research. Fortunately, you'll get most answers out here on the boards.
Fortunately, you'll get most answers out here on the boards.
That is 100% facts lol. Our first trips were horrible, then I found this board 10+ years ago and became the Disney experts of the family and friends.. amazing trips have been had. I hope with all the changes we can grasp it all and make it magical for the grandkids now..

Start with this thread, posts 1-7 specifically. I promise they're up to date - https://www.disboards.com/threads/e...lightning-lane-please-read-posts-1-7.3856734/

You'll also want to read the first post of this one - https://www.disboards.com/threads/everything-virtual-queue-please-read-posts-1-and-2.3886917/

And the first post of this one - https://www.disboards.com/threads/everything-early-theme-park-entry-etpe-please-read-post-1.3855945/

Then you can start at the ends and read forward as your trip gets closer, asking questions that aren't answered or aren't clear to you.

Driving from Houston looks to be ~16 hours. Can be done in a VERY long day. We've driven 13 hours before, straight through on the way down, but on the way back is tough. You're just mentally drained. So you're looking at probably at least a day and a half on the way back, plus the one (maybe another half) going down. You've just used three days of your vacation, if not four.

Compared to 2 1/2 flight (Southwest, United, even Sprit and Frontier) non-stop. Getting to the airport two hours early and assuming an hour drive to the airport and an hour drive from MCO to WDW (it's shorter, but including bags and such), it's about seven hours door to door. You've just cut your travel time in half.

As far as getting from MCO to WDW:
Rental Car (IMO, it depends on what you want to do with it... do you plan on going off property or just to/from the airport).
Taxi/Ride Share This would probably be the quickest
Mears Shared Shuttle This would probably be the cheapest
Private Shuttle LOTS of options, but probably more expensive.

I would only drive if I couldn't afford to fly. I would PROBABLY do private shuttle, ride share, or shared shuttle depending on cost and number in the party.

I'm going to give a different opinion. We fly and rent a car. We love the freedom of coming and going when we choose. We never have to wait for a bus and pulling up right in front of our resort and not having to trek from a bus stop is quick and easy. While you do get closer to the gates of the MK when riding a bus, when you take a car you get to ride the monorail or ferry boat. It sounds like you might have grands so folding a stroller for Disney transportation is a PIA. It's nice to just stow the stroller in the trunk until the next day. Just my 2cents

We’ve driven (20+hours!). We’ve flown. We usually rent a car even if we fly (for doing things in the area other than just Disney).

I will say, if you’re a group of 8 and already staying at AK Villas, the bus really is a great way to get anywhere you’d need to go on Disney property. Even if I might prefer, say, driving to Disney Springs or a waterpark or to a resort dining reservation, 8 people pigeonholes you into a more expensive rental vehicle that might not be worth the while. Either way the “car vs bus” and “fly vs drive” are technically separate decisions. Basically even if I drove down and had my car, there’s times I’d just take the bus while staying onsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter