• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food prices at Aulani INSANE

JodieJRanch

Registered
Our daughter travels all over the world on business. She just got back from Hawaii and talked about how insane the food prices were, especially at Aulani. She was able to visit 3 islands during her stay, though was only able to stay one night at Aulani. She said the resort was very nice. She said all of the resorts where she stayed were nice, but thought everything else outside of the resorts seemed very run down. She was also shocked by the homeless problem that they're having. It was her first trip to Hawaii and unless its back for business, she said it will no doubt be her last.

Last edited:
Hawaiian food prices are somewhat high, but they're not too bad. Aulani's prices are absolutely ridiculous.
Think she ate almost all of all of her meals at the resorts where she stayed, but particularly talked about how insane the food prices at Aulani were.

Last edited:
Food prices were really high at the Marriott Waikoloa when I was there in September as well. I think I paid $15 for an acai bowl, but it was the best acai bowl I've ever had so I didn't mind at all. We often go to the ABC stores and get food for our room or a cheap breakfast or lunch instead of paying resort prices.

Curious as to what other islands your DD visited.

Oahu, especially around the Waikiki area, has always had numerous homeless people living there. When we were on the Big Island, we only saw a few homeless people in the Kona area, but nothing like Oahu.

Food prices were really high at the Marriott Waikoloa when I was there in September as well. I think I paid $15 for an acai bowl, but it was the best acai bowl I've ever had so I didn't mind at all.
The food at Aulani isn't especially good, though. I'm sure that the fancy stuff at 'AMA'AMA is fine and the breakfast at Makahiki was pretty good (though still overpriced), but the rest is just OK, really. The prices that they charge for food at the other restaurants are absurd.

I found plenty of better, cheaper food elsewhere on the island. Nearby Kapolei has many restaurants to choose from and a lot of them are better than the food at Aulani with much lower prices.

I have been going to Hawaii for 15 years and didn’t notice Oahu looking much different than previous trips.

Most destination locations that have very expensive real estate and rely on tourism are going to show the ugly side of wealth inequality.

My family and I went to Oahu in October and found Aulani’s food to be much better than what we found in Waikiki for the 2 nights we were at HHV. We went to the character breakfast, AMA AMA, Makahiki, Off the Hook, and Ulu Cafe. The prices are Disney level prices, which means HIGH.

We also enjoyed dinner at the 4 Seasons and brunch at the Marriott in addition to securing basics at Target on the way.

Next trip: Monkey Pod and Roys are high on the list.

Our daughter travels all over the world on business. She just got back from Hawaii and talked about how insane the food prices were, especially at Aulani. She was able to visit 3 islands during her stay, though was only able to stay one night at Aulani. She said the resort was very nice. She said all of the resorts where she stayed were nice, but thought everything else outside of the resorts seemed very run down. She was also shocked by the homeless problem that they're having. It was her first trip to Hawaii and unless its back for business, she said it will no doubt be her last.
Did she get any time to go into the Ocean? I think being in warm ocean water (which costs nothing once there) and moving with the waves is the best part of HI.

Aulani is the child of Disney food prices and Hawaii food prices.

Like others have mentioned, Aulani is similar to other high end resorts around the island. You really need a car to enjoy Oahu IMO. There is plenty of reasonably priced food, and if you want to live like a local, go to the deli and hot bar at Foodland. The one in Kapolei delivers to Aulani.

Our daughter travels all over the world on business. She just got back from Hawaii and talked about how insane the food prices were, especially at Aulani. She was able to visit 3 islands during her stay, though was only able to stay one night at Aulani. She said the resort was very nice. She said all of the resorts where she stayed were nice, but thought everything else outside of the resorts seemed very run down. She was also shocked by the homeless problem that they're having. It was her first trip to Hawaii and unless it’s back for business, she said it will no doubt be her last.
Your daughter must not have taken the time to explore Honolulu, the North Shore, Kailua, some of the beautiful nature hikes, and almost all the beaches. That said, why spread all this negativity through second hand information about a place you’ve never been?

Prices for food and many many things in Hawaii have always been pretty high. Almost everything needs to be shipped/flown in, which adds heavily to costs. Even 25 years ago on our honeymoon a pizza was $40 and bread was $4 a loaf. That's the price for the beauty of an isolated paradise in the Pacific.

Did she get any time to go into the Ocean? I think being in warm ocean water (which costs nothing once there) and moving with the waves is the best part of HI.
No, I don't think she did. That may have softened her attitude towards it if she would have.

I've visited Hawaii many times and it is very expensive. We always rent a car and visit a grocery store/ABC store to get breakfast type foods and snacks. I wonder if the super high prices at Aulani are because they have the same type of captive audience as WDW. People fly into HNL and go directly to Aulani without seeing the rest of the state. If you compare a WDW restaurant with an offsite restaurant, the prices at the WDW restaurant are always much higher. Many people don't rent a car and are limited to onsite food offerings because they go to WDW and no where else.

As for resorts being very nice while the surrounding areas seem somewhat "run down", you would be amazed at how much those shacks cost!

Your daughter must not have taken the time to explore Honolulu, the North Shore, Kailua, some of the beautiful nature hikes, and almost all the beaches. That said, why spread all this negativity through second hand information about a place you’ve never been?
*Wanders into the Disney Cruise Line forum. Clicks "New Thread."*

*Clears throat.*

"I heard Disney Cruise Line SUCKS and it's a total ripoff and you people who like it are big stupid idiots!"

*Clears throat. Leaves.*

My daughter's family just moved to a marine base on the island. A bag of tortilla chips cost them $7.50. That said, when we visit Aulani in July and she and my grandsons join us, I am going to have her buy the food and keep it in the room, except for probably the character breakfast and a few dinners off property.

Allow me to offer a counterpoint to all this whining and complaining, since I am currently at Aulani. For lunch by the pool, takeout sandwiches and salads are all below $20 at the Ulu Cafe. For dinner, a full meal there featuring the catch of the day, mashed potatoes or rice, and veggies costs $26. My wife and I ate at MonkeyPod last night and we each had the Saimin, a delicious giant bowl of noodles, veggies and pork in a chicken broth. It was $22 each. The night before we ate at the relatively new mexican restaurant Meikiko right across from MonkeyPod. We split an enormous order of steak fajitas, plus complimentary chips and salsa. I think it was $26.

In all fairness, at Aulani both Makahiki and Ama Ama , in my opinion, are way too expensive and in my opinion not worth it. But, guess what, no one forces you to eat at either one.

We also dine at Longhi’s (Marriott) and Noe (Four Seasons). They’re pricier, about $120 average, including a glass or two of wine. That’s about what we pay in LA when we go to hotel restaurants. We also explored all around an area near Waikiki called Kaka’ako, chock full of fun shops and restaurants. Once again, aside from fine dining, all were reasonably priced.

In addition, though we don’t usually go into Kapolei for dinner, a five minute drive from Aulani, there are many little hole in the wall restaurants that are mostly budget friendly.

My advice to the OP is to request that her international jet setting daughter actually do some research before visiting a destination, try to be a little less judgmental, and to please consider that her “sky is falling down” attitude might be based on inaccurate information. It’s really doing all of us a disservice.

They were high sure but you know that going in.

I only did the character breakfast and some shaved ice.

Otherwise monkey pod was not only stellar quality food but the ambiance was incredible

Aulani is the child of Disney food prices and Hawaii food prices.

Like others have mentioned, Aulani is similar to other high end resorts around the island. You really need a car to enjoy Oahu IMO. There is plenty of reasonably priced food, and if you want to live like a local, go to the deli and hot bar at Foodland. The one in Kapolei delivers to Aulani.
It just doesn't make sense to me, the number of people who go to Aulani and never leave the place. I can't think of anywhere in the world I would go where I'd eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at my hotel every day outside of maybe an all-inclusive resort.

Allow me to offer a counterpoint to all this whining and complaining, since I am currently at Aulani. For lunch by the pool, takeout sandwiches and salads are all below $20 at the Ulu Cafe. For dinner, a full meal there featuring the catch of the day, mashed potatoes or rice, and veggies costs $26. My wife and I ate at MonkeyPod last night and we each had the Saimin, a delicious giant bowl of noodles, veggies and pork in a chicken broth. It was $22 each. The night before we ate at the relatively new mexican restaurant Meikiko right across from MonkeyPod. We split an enormous order of steak fajitas, plus complimentary chips and salsa. I think it was $26.

In all fairness, at Aulani both Makahiki and Ama Ama , in my opinion, are way too expensive and in my opinion not worth it. But, guess what, no one forces you to eat at either one.

We also dine at Longhi’s (Marriott) and Noe (Four Seasons). They’re pricier, about $120 average, including a glass or two of wine. That’s about what we pay in LA when we go to hotel restaurants. We also explored all around an area near Waikiki called Kaka’ako, chock full of fun shops and restaurants. Once again, aside from fine dining, all were reasonably priced.

In addition, though we don’t usually go into Kapolei for dinner, a five minute drive from Aulani, there are many little hole in the wall restaurants that are mostly budget friendly.

My advice to the OP is to request that her international jet setting daughter actually do some research before visiting a destination, try to be a little less judgmental, and to please consider that her “sky is falling down” attitude might be based on inaccurate information. It’s really doing all of us a disservice.
I understand what you’re getting at and agree with some of it, but 1, you’re wicked rude and 2, everyone in the world knows that Aulani is expensive and Hawaii has a homeless issue. There was nothing inaccurate about her statements, on the contrary they were more “well yeah we know this so what” in my opinion. You spent 10 minutes of your time at beautiful Aulani berating a woman and her daughter for her opinion, how much does that work out to be?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter