• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food Reviews from our extended family of 7 - Day 6:50's Prime Time Cafe

phyllis1966

Something witty
The list of travel companions includes:

DH, DD age 4 1/2, my parents (first-timers), DH's parents (visited WDW once in 1981), and me.

Well, we had no breakfast scheduled today, so FIL suggested GF Cafe again, since he liked it so much - no problem! Everyone had some type of eggs or another, so I won't go into detail except for my Dad, who tried the Eggs Benedict (never had them before). He loved them, and everyone else really enjoyed their eggs, as well. A very good B+ breakfast.

Dinner was at Mickey's 50's Prime Time Cafe. DH, DD and I had been there last year, so we knew what to expect. We thought that our parents would enjoy the experience, and they certainly did! We had a great "cousin" named Anass (originally worked in Morocco in the WS), who was lots of fun! My Mom in particular does not like attention drawn to her, so I told her to finish her veggies, keep her elbows off the table, and avoid eye contact with our "cousin"...it almost worked. At the end of our meal, he thought Mom was trying to hide some scraps that were left in her dish (she wasn't!), so he told her to get up because she had to stand in the corner. She refused, getting flustered. He told her that "Mama" was going to be really upset, etc., trying to engage her, when Mom decided to make a run for it! She actually got up and hurried toward the restrooms, thinking he'd leave her alone - oh, how wrong she was! He ran after her, brought her back, and made her stand with her nose to the wall (she finally relented) while we all wagged our fingers at her (the entire room ) and chanted, "Shame, shame, shame - we don't waste Mama's food!" Well, not to be crude, but I almost wet my pants!:p :o DH snapped a photo of her standing there, and I truly regret leaving the video camera in the room that day! FIL was adorned with a Little Mermaid bib for being messy. It was great fun and, by the way, the food was great, too!

Last year I had the pot roast (delicious), so I tried another supposed favorite, the fried chicken, as did my Mom, MIL, and DH. We all liked it, but few could finish it - we were all served 3 large pieces of fried chicken (breast, leg and thigh), along with mashed potatoes (great) and lots of stringbeans! I'm not kidding - the servings of stringbeans were enormous; all the better to catch us "wasting" them, I'm sure! They were tasty though, and I ate them first so as not to be caught! The others really loved the fried chicken - I thought it was very good, but I've had better. FIL had the pork loin which he raved about for the rest of the trip. My Dad had a pasta with shrimp dish that he said was very good, and DD had the kid's hotdog meal, always good enough for her. We also got her the drink with the flashing ice cube - a huge hit with her. She's still using that thing every day! I had the Key Lime Martini - strong but good. DH had the Appletini - also strong, also good.

For dessert, which only half of us could fit, DD had the kid's "build-a-sundae" - she was thrilled. Two others had the seasonal cobbler, which was apple, and proclaimed it delicious. No one else could eat another bite. Everyone else gave this experience an A and I'll give it an A-, only because, as I said, the fried chicken, while very enjoyable, was not the best I've ever had. I have to be as accurate and fair as possible for all my friends at the DIS!;)

Thanks for the review, Phyllis! I appreciate your candor about the chicken. ;) You didn't say, though. What did Mom think about the experience? Was she one of the folks who gave it an "A"? I ask because I have a daughter who's the same way.

Pat

7 days and counting . . . again!

inky dinky doo,

As horrified as Mom was at first, she eventually (while her face was to the wall) was able to loosen up and says she really had fun there! You can see it in the photo DH took while she was standing there! When she realized that everyone was having fun, but not at her expense, she was OK with it. She even said she'd go back again! :p

Funny Phyllis! We went there too and I do not, repeat DO NOT, eat string beans. Those portions were disgustingly huge and I was shamed for wasting Mom's food. Oh well. My FIL had the old airplane of string beans fed to him (ha ha).

Originally posted by phyllis1966
inky dinky doo,

As horrified as Mom was at first, she eventually (while her face was to the wall) was able to loosen up and says she really had fun there! You can see it in the photo DH took while she was standing there! When she realized that everyone was having fun, but not at her expense, she was OK with it. She even said she'd go back again! :p

Well, then, there's hope for us, too! We're going. Cross your fingers that my daughter has at least as good a time as your mom.

Pat

7 days and counting . . . again!

Hope you get a good "Cousin, Aunt, Uncle, Brother" becasue it can makeit or break it. In 2001 we had Cousin Mickey still to this day brings a smile to my face...........Love him....Mean it. This past Nov was a whole different issue we had Cousin Manny and he was the worst I've ever seen. I was so disapointed in him, the food was still good.

Good Luck on getting a great waiter!!!

When we were there I actually hid food in my lap so we could order dessert. When we left we stuck the hot dog in the empty ice cream dish. Uncle Dave was not amused!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter