• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FOP dizziness

Jaylie

DIS Veteran
i went on FOP yesterday morning, and all day long had had periods of dizziness. Has anyone else experienced this?

i went on FOP yesterday morning, and all day long had had periods of dizziness. Has anyone else experienced this?
Oh heck ya! Same here. I was quite nauseated from that ride. I dont do well with "motion simulator" type rides. I knew off the bat it would make me sick, but i wanted to try it anyway. Its a cool ride, but i dont think i'll go on it again. Once is enough for me.

I am curious how you respond to other motion simulator-type rides. Soarin'? Star Tours? Mission Space?

I think we all know there is no hard and fast rule how folks will feel after FOP. It is more intense than Soarin but less intense than ST. It does not spin like MS.

I road FOP twice. For me, FOP did not make me feel sick or dizzy. But...when it ended after 4 minutes or so I was ready for it to end. At the end of Soarin, by comparison, I always feel disappointment that it ended too soon. For ST I am always ready for it to end - like FOP. For MS I spend the last minute gutting it out and wishing it would end one minute sooner LOL. Then I feel dizzy after for 10 minutes with MS.

I also rode the Harry Potter FJ ride at IOA. Once. That made me feel sick and was worse than FOP. I was very ready for that to end and do not feel a strong desire to ride it again.

:wizard:

I am curious how you respond to other motion simulator-type rides. Soarin'? Star Tours? Mission Space?

I think we all know there is no hard and fast rule how folks will feel after FOP. It is more intense than Soarin but less intense than ST. It does not spin like MS.

I road FOP twice. For me, FOP did not make me feel sick or dizzy. But...when it ended after 4 minutes or so I was ready for it to end. At the end of Soarin, by comparison, I always feel disappointment that it ended too soon. For ST I am always ready for it to end - like FOP. For MS I spend the last minute gutting it out and wishing it would end one minute sooner LOL. Then I feel dizzy after for 10 minutes with MS.

I also rode the Harry Potter FJ ride at IOA. Once. That made me feel sick and was worse than FOP. I was very ready for that to end and do not feel a strong desire to ride it again.

Motion Simulator ride examples (all of these make me nauseous):
FOP, Star Tours, Mission Space, Soarin.
Some are worse than others. For me, Soarin is the mildest out of the four. I only get a tiny bit nauseous. The other three rides are pretty bad though. I cant remember if there's another ride im forgetting?

At "the dark side" aka Universal its the following:
Simpsons (the worst for me), Forbidden Journey, Spider Man, Transformers, Dispicable Me, Shrek, and also The Mummy to name a few (there are soo many motion simulator rides at universal). All make me nauseous. This is why i try to avoid this park. But my DS loves it so sometimes I have to suck it up and take him. :( I take a lot of ginger pills when I go to universal...that helps.

I think that's normal for a lot of folks on any simulator ride. Hope you feel better, dizziness is a horrible feeling

I generally don’t have any problems with motion sickness, not on ST or Soarin. I didn’t feel dizzy on or immediately after FOP, it was during the day and evening. I just wondered if maybe the simulation was so intense that it affected my equilibrium or something. The ride was yesterday at 9am, and today I’m feeling better. I thought the ride was awesome, but I did have to close my eyes a few times!!

I don't have any problems at all with Soarin or Star Tours, have to do Mission Space Green but that's probably more of an age thing, had no issue with MS Orange 15-20 years ago...

I went on FOP last May and started getting a bit nauseous, looked down and closed my eyes for probably half of the ride duration. But I was the only one in my group, everyone else loved it.

So I will give it one more shot during the next trip and if it happens again well then it will be a "twice and done" and will sit it out when others ride.

I went on it in August and it bothered me enough that I felt a bit lousy afterward. I have no problems with star tours or soarin' so I am wondering if a combination of the heat and possibly dehydration made it more difficult for me to tolerate. The evening we were there was extremely hot and I ran out of water and hadn't refilled my bottle so I was very thirsty by the time we went on the ride. I did okay until toward the end of the ride and it was just too much at that point I think. Next time I will try it again but make sure I have had enough to drink.

FoP made me super nauseous. Like @goofyintoronto, I’m glad I experienced it once. I won’t do it again unless maybe I can get my husband to go to WDW again in the future.

Soarin is fabulous; I love it. It does not make me feel dizzy or nauseous.

Star Tours didn’t bother me that way; I do find it a bit jarring on my old joints. I don’t ride Space Mountain anymore for that reason.

Mission Space, I have never gone on because it would trigger my claustrophobia, so I don’t know. The spinning version is def not for me. I won’t do the Teacups.

I even had a motion sickness patch on when I rode the Harry Potter FJ ride. I still felt so sick! I,just closed my eyes and prayed for it to end! It was SO jerky and rough!! Ugh!!

I have no problem with star tours or soarin but felt a little dizzy after my first ride on FOP. I've been on it a few more times because DH likes it, but spend most of the ride with my eyes closed.

I also got very dizzy on FOP. I do get dizzy extremely easily in regular life though. For me, I think the biggest contributor to my dizziness on the ride is my eyes didn't feel like they were adjusting quickly enough to all the new scenery as we were "flying" so some of it was blurry. I still greatly enjoyed it though. 3d things are a bit tough for me because the images (especially if they move or change quickly) seem blurry. I wear contacts, so I don't know if that might have some sort of impact on how quickly my eyes perceive images.

In regards to other simulators, before riding, I thought I was going to hurl for sure on Mission Space. Other than about 3 seconds when we were taking off and I got nauseous (orange side), I was fine. Green didn't bother me. I'm fine on Soarin as long as I don't look down. Star Tours is easily the worst for me. It takes a few mins to gather my composure afterwards. It's not enough to keep me from going on it, but if I wasn't with someone who wanted to go, I'd have no desire to ride.

The smells on FOP make it 10x worse for me! That sickly floral smell is sooo bad for me :(

FoP made me super nauseous. Like @goofyintoronto, I’m glad I experienced it once. I won’t do it again unless maybe I can get my husband to go to WDW again in the future.

Soarin is fabulous; I love it. It does not make me feel dizzy or nauseous.

Star Tours didn’t bother me that way; I do find it a bit jarring on my old joints. I don’t ride Space Mountain anymore for that reason.

Mission Space, I have never gone on because it would trigger my claustrophobia, so I don’t know. The spinning version is def not for me. I won’t do the Teacups.

Rut Roh. I have distinct memories of laying down in the grass outside of Mission Space. Love Soar'n. Cannot do Star Wars (or Body Wars back in the day). Already thinking FOP has to be end pf day with drugs on hand. Until I my 30s, I could spin and spin (on Dunkin Donuts stools or at the playground) and not get sick.

The first time I rode FOP (last July), I felt ok afterwards. I did have points during the ride that I had to close my eyes or focus on something else. The second time I rode it in Nov., I felt so bad afterwards! I was slightly nauseated and felt very off kilter. I had to sit down and relax outside the ride. Eventually I had the frozen, tart Night Blossom drink and that helped me feel better, too. I always take an afternoon break and I had to take a nap when I got back to the hotel before I felt completely better.

I generally don’t have any problems with motion sickness, not on ST or Soarin. I didn’t feel dizzy on or immediately after FOP, it was during the day and evening. I just wondered if maybe the simulation was so intense that it affected my equilibrium or something. The ride was yesterday at 9am, and today I’m feeling better. I thought the ride was awesome, but I did have to close my eyes a few times!!

It sounds like it might have been more of an issue with vertigo than motion sickness maybe. My husband gets vertigo and it is a disruption of your equilibrium. It can definitely turn up later after a ride (unlike motion sickness which tends to be immediate) and can come and go.

There can be little solid bits in the fluid portion of your ear that detects which way is up that can move around and cause havoc. There are head moving exercises that you can do to move them to less troublesome areas. My DH can’t ride anything that spins or goes around but we haven’t been on FOP so I don’t know if that’s an issue for him. If your head gets moved around a lot i guess it could be.

This worries me. My daughter felt so bad and was pretty much ruined for the day a few year ago when we rode Harry Potter Forbidden Journey. I was hoping this ride wouldn't be a problem. Maybe it won't be for her but it sounds like I better be careful with the timing of when we try to ride. I sure don't want her day ruined!

This worries me. My daughter felt so bad and was pretty much ruined for the day a few year ago when we rode Harry Potter Forbidden Journey. I was hoping this ride wouldn't be a problem. Maybe it won't be for her but it sounds like I better be careful with the timing of when we try to ride. I sure don't want her day ruined!
YMMV, but IMO FOP is not nearly as impactful as HPFJ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter