For a 14-hour flight, what would you pay to upgrade to premium select on Delta?

jimmymc

Professional Adventurer!
For anyone who doesn't know, premium select class is similar to domestic first class on Delta's long-haul flights. Larger reclining seats, upgraded food, and Sky Priority are all included. https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/onboard-experience/delta-premium-economy

I have offers to upgrade on a 14-hour direct flight to Tokyo, and I was curious to know what you would pay for the upgrade. The number is very close to what I previously decided I would pay, and I'm not sure if I want to go for it. Of course value is completely subjective, based on the person and their financial situation. But I would like to hear your opinion.

I’ve never taken that long of a flight. We just upgraded our 8 hr Italy. $300 more per person for the larger seater that recline more.

Maybe $500 or $600?

Depending on my other plans possibly more. With a special event shortly after flying, being better rested adds value.

I would pay thrice what a Main Cabin ticket is to sit in Premium Economy for a flight that long. If the MC ticket was $600, I'd be willing to pay $1800. IIRC, most of the Delta planes that have PE are only two on a side so there no middle seats either.

Whenever we decide to take a long flight (8+ hours) we always go for Delta 1. So, yes I'd say go for the upgrade if you can swing it.

I’m glad to see that you took advantage of the upgrade. On a long flight, it is especially wonderful. Enjoy!

I would pay for at least Comfort+ on anything over ~4-5 hours. For a 14 hour flight, and "only" $500 upgrade, yea, I'd probably do the layback seats also.
I had a good economy seat location, so I didn't think comfort+ really bought me anything. But in general I will get it for something like a 4-6 hour flight.

At least you had that option! For my flight back from Europe, Delta had Delta One, comfort + and main cabin.

So, yea, I would definitely pay for Premium Select

I had a good economy seat location, so I didn't think comfort+ really bought me anything. But in general I will get it for something like a 4-6 hour flight.
I've learned the joy of exit rows (extra leg seats). There's been a couple of times when I've been called to the podium with "we can upgrade you to C+, but it's a middle." I'll keep my exit row thank you. lol The free alcohol isn't enough of a benefit to move from window to aisle IMO.

I've learned the joy of exit rows (extra leg seats). There's been a couple of times when I've been called to the podium with "we can upgrade you to C+, but it's a middle." I'll keep my exit row thank you. lol The free alcohol isn't enough of a benefit to move from window to aisle IMO.
I totally agree. One of the perks of Delta status is getting free exit row seats, and with that I really don't need comfort+ on most flights. My original seats for this one were bulkhead main cabin, but ultimately I think the extra seat width and recline are worth it for the upgrade.

At least you had that option! For my flight back from Europe, Delta had Delta One, comfort + and main cabin.

So, yea, I would definitely pay for Premium Select
Premium Select is a great offering, and I'm happy Delta is installing it on more planes.

I totally agree. One of the perks of Delta status is getting free exit row seats, and with that I really don't need comfort+ on most flights. My original seats for this one were bulkhead main cabin, but ultimately I think the extra seat width and recline are worth it for the upgrade.
I've found I don't like bulkhead. If I get a bulkhead, I have to put my carryon, my backpack, and my CPAP all in the overhead. I don't like tying up that much space (usually the backpack goes under the seat in front of me), but don't have a choice w/bulkhead.

I would never pay for a bump up because I’m cheap lol but twice me and DH were lucky enough to be bumped up to first class without having to pay for it. Both times were on flights to Europe and it was so nice to be so comfortable for such a long flight but I would never pay for the opportunity because in my mind that’s money I could put towards something on the trip. And I’m cheap lol.

I've found I don't like bulkhead. If I get a bulkhead, I have to put my carryon, my backpack, and my CPAP all in the overhead. I don't like tying up that much space (usually the backpack goes under the seat in front of me), but don't have a choice w/bulkhead.
I don’t care for bulkhead either. I dislike using the overhead bins since my carryon items are always small enough to fit under the seat in front of me and I prefer window seats. And I have short legs, so I don’t need the extra leg room for comfort. But my tall DH does need the leg room, so we often choose those seats anyway if available. For a short flight, we toss a coin. ;)

I don’t care for bulkhead either. I dislike using the overhead bins since my carryon items are always small enough to fit under the seat in front of me and I prefer window seats. And I have short legs, so I don’t need the extra leg room for comfort. But my tall DH does need the leg room, so we often choose those seats anyway if available. For a short flight, we toss a coin. ;)
I'm tall with long legs and I hate the bulkhead. There is no give and I have to get up to get anything out of my bag. In a seat I can move my bag to under my legs and stretch my legs out under the seat in front of me.

For anyone who doesn't know, premium select class is similar to domestic first class on Delta's long-haul flights. Larger reclining seats, upgraded food, and Sky Priority are all included. https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/onboard-experience/delta-premium-economy

I have offers to upgrade on a 14-hour direct flight to Tokyo, and I was curious to know what you would pay for the upgrade. The number is very close to what I previously decided I would pay, and I'm not sure if I want to go for it. Of course value is completely subjective, based on the person and their financial situation. But I would like to hear your opinion.

If I can swing it, I'd upgrade for a 3 hour flight. 😄

I also don't choose bulkhead seats. Since there is no seat in front of you, they have to put any of your carry-on items in an overhead bin that may be several rows BEHIND you. Have seen on more than one occasion when someone thought sitting in row 1 or a bulkhead row was a BIG advantage, until they found out when we landed they would likely be one of the last people off of the plane, since they couldn't easily retrieve their items from a bin several rows behind them.

All this talk of bulkhead… We have Norse flight JFK to Rome in 2 weeks and DH recently switched from economy to premium (pretty sure there are only those 2 categories). He chose the front row, which I think is the bulkhead, right? I pointed out how many other seats were already booked and it seemed all were avoiding it. Maybe there’s a good reason.

He liked the idea of nobody sitting in front of us, so no reclining into us.

But now I’m thinking there might be more negatives we hadn’t considered. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I generally like bulkhead seats. I only need my phone and headphones during the flight, so not having my bag in front of me isn't an issue. It can be a little annoying if your seats are right up against the bathroom, but even that usually isn't too bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter