For all you Penny Pressers out there...You know who you are!

Wheelsie

DIS Veteran
DH came up with a great idea!

Put pennies for pressing in one colored old film can and quarters for paying in another colored film can (seperate from the look of the film you may be using)

Heck have your kids decorate them even!! :)

That way when you pacl your pack for that day at the park you have a can of quaters and pennies and you don;t have to go rummaging thru your change purse in front of the machine! :)

That's a great idea! DH is an avid penny presser, and he always stands in front of the machine looking for the very best penny to use. If we had a container of pennies, it would speed the process up by a lot.

Here is another idea to hold pennies and quarters for the pressing machines. My children and I are saving the containers that the mini M&M's come in. You can have a different color for the pennies and one for the quarters. I have found two different sized containers. A larger one and a smaller one. With the different colors, your children can have their own color, so they will know whose is whose.:D :D

We do this. What I do is give one film container to each kid to put in their fanny pack. Each container contains 1 penny and 2 quarters layered, then another penny and 2 quarters... That way there's no hunting for the right coins. I shine up the pennies before we go, so they all look nice.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Ok, so we just use a ziplock baggie...

Does anyone else find this behavior a little obssesive or abnormal?
No, I didn't think anyone here would.....

Going in 9 days and have the coins ready!!!

I had never heard about pressing pennies until I came to the DIS site! Can you tell me about it and should I make sure I have American coin?

an empty staple plastic box.. it holds lots of pennies and quarters.. ps we have ours all shinny too.,..

OH MY GOD!!!

My husband thought I was nuts when I was trying to clean the pre'82 ones. First I was scrubbing them with toothpaste using q-tips...oh yeah that was fun!:rolleyes:
Then I bought a bottle of Coke to try that. See the funny thing is we are not soda drinkers so I had the bottle calling my name for 2 weeks before I finally opened it. The excuse was pizza. And I knew I was opening it and could not wait for dinner, had it opened by the time DH was home from work at 2:30 and the pennies were soaking.

I had also ruined a batch of 20+ pennies trying the vinegar and salt mix. But they tarnished so I put them in my DD's piggy bank and took out the same amount in another batch of pre'82 pennies that I used with the coke. They did come out pretty good, as close to new as one would imagine.

So now my 2 DD's each have a baggie with 10 pennies and there 2 quarters for pressing and 2 quarters and there 4 quarters for pressing. So they will be able to each have 10 pennies and 2 quarters pressed for souvie's.

They are already in there pouches....we leave in 8 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a question. Where are these penny pressing machines at in Disney? I am saving pennies and quarters for our trip, but I dont know where the machines are located?

In answer to our Canadian Friend..I'd advise using American Penniees...I'm not sure Canadian one will work....but you could alwyas ask a CM if they do and if not ask if they will change for American one for you! :)

As far as where the pennies are?? I know there is a penny website somewhere...I will go find it....but I also know that Guest Services at any park has a list of all the penny and quarter machines for all over the property! :) All for the polite asking!! :)

If you're a quarter presser DON'T forget to get your 100th B day Quarter...don't ask a CM if they have a 100the B day penny press cuz I already did...No :(

Pre 1982 Pennies are mostly copper. After 82, the pennies were minted of mostly zinc with a thin copper coating. When you press them you can get a silver streak where the zinc is showing through.

If you hold a pre and post 1982 penny in your hand, the difference is obvious. The older penny is slightly thicker, and it's heavier. They even have a slightly different color when they are shiny. (Of course I could be imagining that lol)

We like pressed pennies. They're the cheapest souviners in WDW. My kids love them, so we don't have to deal with Prince & Princess WannaWanna from the Planet GimmeGimme.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

I also use a ziploc baggie for mine. it holds the pennies and quarters for pressing and it holds the pressed ones as well!

Having DS go thru the pennie jar tomorrow. I just must have been lucky, have never gotten a silver streak but not willing to take the chance..lol :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :D

I cant wait to show this thread to my DH...I thought it was just me. We used film containers last time we went and it worked perfectly. Shiney 82....Music to my ears. We get them everywhere we go outside of WDW also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter