For those of you who use backpacks

I've always preferred a small crossbody bag as easier on my back. Also a practical deterrent to overspending and hauling a heavy bag full of souvenirs around the park. :thumbsup2

Before COVID, I would often be packed in with other guests at night to watch fireworks and so theft was in the back of my mind and would have distracted me from enjoying the parks. However, judging from the huge number of guests with backpacks, it isn't on most guests' radar at all or a real concern. I would also guess fewer guests bring in a wallet and use magic bands for charging. Most guests likely only carry a small amount of cash and one credit card or debit card squirreled away in the bottom of their backpack where harder for light fingers to find.

If ever tempted to use a backpack, I'd put a small carabiner or twist tie on at least 2 zippered pockets. I wouldn't want to flag the pocket that has valuables - so would tie off at least 2 pockets - but would give me more piece of mind. You do WDW the way it works best for you. Doesn't look like theft is a real concern at WDW. But if it worries you at all, take a few small practical steps to feel better about it.

I've always preferred a small crossbody bag as easier on my back. Also a practical deterrent to overspending and hauling a heavy bag full of souvenirs around the park. :thumbsup2

Before COVID, I would often be packed in with other guests at night to watch fireworks and so theft was in the back of my mind and would have distracted me from enjoying the parks. However, judging from the huge number of guests with backpacks, it isn't on most guests' radar at all or a real concern. I would also guess fewer guests bring in a wallet and use magic bands for charging. Most guests likely only carry a small amount of cash and one credit card or debit card squirreled away in the bottom of their backpack where harder for light fingers to find.

If ever tempted to use a backpack, I'd put a small carabiner or twist tie on at least 2 zippered pockets. I wouldn't want to flag the pocket that has valuables - so would tie off at least 2 pockets - but would give me more piece of mind. You do WDW the way it works best for you. Doesn't look like theft is a real concern at WDW. But if it worries you at all, take a few small practical steps to feel better about it.
Thank you for your input!

Has anyone used the Vera Bradley small backpack? I'm wondering how much it holds. I need to hold my glasses, sunglasses, sunscreen, water bottle, phone charger, small DSLR camera with batteries, tissues, a snack, poncho, lip balm, small VB zippered ID pouch, and maybe a few other smaller items.

I use a small crossbody backpack with a small compartment in the front strap for anything valuable. This bag is great because it's small enough to carry what we need (sunscreen, ponchos, wipes) and what we may get tired of wearing (ears, pin lanyards), but not so big that it starts hurting my back. And I don't have to ever take it off. I can spin it to have the pack be in the front or side if I need to. Really, because I link my credit card on my Magic Band, I only bring an ID and my Disney Visa (some Disney Visa perks require you to show your card). So, I guess I've never felt it was an issue because of that.

In fact, if it weren't for sometimes having to store the ears, I would go for a fanny pack. I did that at Universal, and it was the best thing ever.

I have used a backpack on all three of our trips. It allowed us to be hands-free but still take the things we felt we would need.
On the second trip, it functioned as a diaper bag.

On our next trip, we will not have a stroller. Everything will need to fit in the backpack. Dh and I trade off on carrying it.

We always take a backpack with food etc.. I have never had a problem.
Also I dont take much people would want anyways.
We dont take much cash and that's in my pocket. Everything else is mobile pay/magicband pay.

I was thinking about that when I walked past stoller parking and saw cameras, bags and new merchandise just sitting in the stroller basket unattended.

Only one did I have a backpack where it even made me question having brought a backpack. I was waiting on the monorail and felt a tugging at my bag. I turned around and it was a small child playing with one of the zippers. I laughed and thought about how it different it was from being at home.

I think Covid times makes it easier because people aren't typically standing on top of you in line anymore. Just be aware of your surroundings and everything should be fine.

Was at WDW last week. You may remove items that will trigger the alarm out in from of you for visual while walking through. I carried my battery charger and phone tripod through and had no issues being called over for a secondary inspection.

I always take a backpack to the parks, and never worried about it. I do keep it at my feet when waiting in line, or like eating at the standup tables in Epcot, etc. But I also keep my wallet with cash/credit cards, driver's lic, in my pocket, and phone in my pocket, unless going on a water ride or something, then it goes in plastic bag in the backpack.
I have everything in the backpack. Ponchos, extra water bottles, you name it. We call it the magic bag, it's like Hermione's beaded bag, whatever you need, I've probably got it in there
Love, love the new security where you rarely will have to have your bag gone through. SO much faster!!!

What’s new about going through security? Are they xraying instead of going through your bags?

I went in August (and am returning in 2 weeks :cutie:..so will update if changed).. walking up to security they ask if you have certain items and if so to take them out. I always have an umbrella so I take that out and if my camera is around my neck they just said to hold it out and have the camera walk through before my body. Super easy.. makes sense with covid they cant be touching every bag and then touching the next. Not sure what they changed with the detectors but I hope it stays forever because it was a breeze. I usually have a full sized back back for myself and daughter with camera, chargers, rain gear, water bottle.Band aids and ibuprofen. Wallet. Back up shoes for me and flip flops for her (oh to be 10 and be comfortable in flip flops again). I don’t have any issues with the bag.. i just put it on the ground of the ride vehicle and its not a problem.

For many years we would just leave our backpack on a stroller, unattended, while we went on rides, and nothing was ever stolen. And it was so nice to give my back a rest by having a stroller to put it in that we rented a double stroller mostly for that purpose even though our youngest was well above the age that the DISBoards Older Kids Stroller Police approve of (she would still hop in for a ride now and again).

If it makes you feel better, think about what people carry in their backpacks and would you be willing to accept for free what could be easily grabbed from a random person's backpack? The entire backpack might be worthwhile because it might have money and a cell phone. But, what could you easily grab? Someone else's sunscreen, a change of clothes (maybe dirty from the morning), stuff like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter