• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

for those who have been taking their children since they were little babies...

loriandmatt

DIS Veteran
I am looking to find out info from those who take their children once a year (or more) and started doing so when their kids were very young. (less than a year)

Do they loose the magic because it is old hat for them?

Do they still (at 2 and 3 and 4 and 5...) get VERY excited when they see a character from across the street or have that look of awe and wonder?

We didn't take our 1st child until he was 5. (for our own financial reasons, not because we were holding back from him at all) Of course he was giddy, awestruck, and totally stoked. Very Magical. He remained that way for future visits, but is about 9 now and still loves it, but dosn't have that "unchecked overwhelming joy". I don't think it's from bordom with WDW, just his age.

We are expecting #2 this summer and of course we will be making our yearly (some times more frequently) WDW trips. Just wondering if the "unchecked overwhelming joy" thing will stick with #2 for the first 5 or so years. DH and I so want to experience that over and over again.

- lori

We took my son for the first time when he was one year old. He is 8 1/2 and he loves it more and more each time we go.

everytime I go I love it! I have been going since weee bitty and during my teens it got a little old, until I brought a friend with and rediscovered all the magic. I keep going.....it ain't that bad, is it???? In fact...........it's tiggerific.

Mine have been going since they were very young and they still like to go but their focus is different especially the oldest. Since she was a Disney CM in Japan she really enjoys visiting with other CM who were with her in Japan. I rarely see her when we both are there as she is with her friends. Younger one also has CM friends so I don't see her either. They sometimes hit the room at the same time but not often. :p :teeth:

I've been going to WDW an DL since I was 3. After graduating high school my brother and I went to Paris for a week and went to Disneyland Europe (EuroDisney to me still). My wife and I have been several times since we got married. Now we have taken our 3 year old and 1.5 year old daughters.

We've been to Disney parks over 40 times.

In otherwords, No. I doesn't ever get old.

Todd's brother here....

We are now annual pass holders and live only an hour away... we have gone on average about 2 times per month since we moved to florida this past July. My 5 yr old loves the parks as much I as I do... however, going three weekends in a row (like we just did)... the magic may not be as strong for her after so many visits... but it is still just as much fun for her -- that is why we introduce new things to her during trips... like autograph seeking... or pin trading. These little things make each visit different.

This is only relevant for local pass holders, but, we only concentrate on small sections of a park or two during each visit. For example, this last saturday we went over to toontown fair for the first time. - did that and tomorrowland (with a ride on Peter Pan in between).

anyway --

adamb

DD was 8 months on her first trip. She is now 5 and we've gone twice a year. She looks forward to each trip as much, if not more than, the last. DS was 5 months his first trip. Now 2 he is old enough that he tells us he wants to go to Disney. DS#2 will be 3 months when we arrive next week......................and I'm sure he'll love it as much as the rest of the family. The great thing about growing up with Disney is there is always something new for the kids. Not only do they love their favorites, but each year they might be old or bold enough to try a new ride. Plus Disney is back to adding lots of stuff.

The only downside to frequent trips with young kids is that they might take the fact that they will be going to Disney for granted. We try to keep our kids grounded and remind them that they are very blessed and not everyone is as fortunate to be able to go so often. But old hat? Not yet.....................and I'm sure it will be quite a while before it happens, if ever.

My children have been going to Disney since they were two (my daughter even earlier) and they ALWAYS love going. I don't think they have the "OH WOW" reaction anymore but it has turned into an insider's "appreciation". They know so much about the parks and they each have their favorites. We also make it new by staying at different resorts and really enjoying that part of it. Last year we stayed at the AKL and that was a huge hit with my boys. Another aspect of going every year or more is the family traditions that develop. We have my daughter's birthday there every year. We always honk our horns when we drive into disney. We always wait to ride up front for our first monorail ride. We have our family "rating" system for restuarants. Mouse boats are a must do. And each vacation we try to do on thing we have never done before...like parasailing...or Richard Petty's , etc.

This December we are going for a short trip for my daughter's birthday and candlelight processional (another annual tradition now). The boys are excited about Mission Space and so is my retired USMC hubby. So always the something old and something new. I hope I get to continue these memories when I have grandchildren someday!

im almost 18...

its still one of the best vacations that my family could ever take together... the belief that it may actually be micky is unfortunatly gone..

but the real magic, getting the family together, No. That magic has not gone.

I've been every year since WDW was opened in FL and have started the tradition with my son - however, I have never taken long extended vacations at WDW - only a few days at a time as the focus of our vacations was always the beach. I really fazzled (I guess that would be a good term for it) when I was a teen. Then Disney began to grow up with me - they added parks (Epcot), added new experiences, and MOST importantly, added PI. I may be wrong with the historical references here - but what happened was that I did get a little burnt out at the same time that kids everywhere get burnt out with anything their parents want them to like - TEENS. I do believe in doing things other than Disney while on vacation and I do want to make sure that not every vacation is at WDW for my son. Therefore, we will continue to go only for a few days every year and hopefully the magic will last for at least another 12 years for my DS.

We have 4 kids.....17..12...12...& 5....
they have been going..since they were all young....we leave this friday and they are just as exicited right this minute as they have been every other trip we have done! Something about that Disney magic...once it is in your heart.....there is no getting rid it of it...

I thought i would be cool to show you our youngest and the happy gleam she has had every trip. She is 5 now...and i cant wait for this next trips pictures!

DD...18 months and always in awe of EVERYTHING!
08023.jpg

DD...2 and Loving Kidcot Stations
Mvc015f.jpg

DD...3 and STILL in awe of EVERYTHING!
Mvc016f.jpg

DD...3 and half and so happy just smelling the flowers (something we all need to remember....NEVER be to busy to stop and smell the flowers!
Mvc019f.jpg

DD...4 and INTO the pin swapping thing!
Mvc019f1.jpg

Words can tell you that she STILL loves it....but.. a picture is worth a thousand words......

Pixie

15 years with our daughters and still going strong. My oldest has stated for years she wants to celebrate birthday #16 at Disney World. We are heading there February.

Jeff

We took our first trip when my DDs were 4 and 1. We've gone back a number of times since and they always look forward to it. Their perceptions have changed and the things they like about WDW are different each time, but they do love to go, even at 9 and 12.

My DD is 4 y/o and has been to WDW 8 times. She still feels the magic and looks forward to each trip. She has become the little Disney expert. It is funny too. She has two other girls in her preschool class that also goes to WDW at least twice a year. DD's teacher tells me how all 3 sit around the table discussing WDW all the rides they see and like. They are the Disney panel of preschool.

I like it how one of the above posters mentioned awe turning into appreciation :)

My two kids have grown up doing disney (WDW, DL and DLParis, I think they are lucky) but my neice 9 and nephew 6 had never been until this past March. Neice enjoyed everything and liked the characters, getting their autographs was her favorite thing next to pin trading. Perhaps if she had grown up doing Disney she would have already outgrown the characters (she was one month shy of 10 ), I don't know. She didn't say "Wow!" to things like her 6 year old brother though. I think the difference was their age. He was THRILLED with everything, the monorail being his ultimate memory. He BELIEVED in the characters a bit more than her as well.

My DS6 is nearly 7 and he is still looking forward to seeing Mickey Mouse and other characters. He has figured out that some of the characters are in costume, I don't know if he thinks Mickey is. When he met Mike and Sully for the first time this April, he wondered how they found a person big enough to be Sully. Perhaps if he hadn't grown up going to disney he might have a little bit more wonderment for WDW when we go in Dec. but not much. There are still some new things for him to look forward to doing for the first time. It feels like a lifetime since he was there last (8 mths) to him and he can hardly wait for the two weeks to pass until we travel down to WDW again. I have loved the memories of him seeing the Mouse and a disney park once a year. We have visited this past year more than once because of living within driving distance for the very first time and knowing that we will move away again soon. No regrets, great memories :)

DS, 3 has been 4 times and has another trip planned before he turns 4 and 1 more after. Today when I told him it was Mickey Mouse's birthday, he told me he thinks we should go to Disney World to celebrate. :D He still gets the magic.

We took DS to DL yearly since he was 16 months old. We started DD1 at DL when she was 18 months old at DL.

We started going to WDW in 1997 when DS was 7 and DD1 was 3 and have gone every year since. DD2 came along in 1997 and she has been every year.

DS who is a (gasp) teenager wants to vacation other places now. He is "tired" of going to WDW every year. My daughters still get excited about going. DD2 is still especially still enchanted and she is 6 years old. Now, they also like Universal now also since they are tall enough for most of the wilder rides. All the kids really love wild rides.

About the grown ups in our family? Now, that is another subject! We still get all tingly when we drive through the entryway on Osceola Parkway! We still love to hear "Welcome Home" when we check into OKW! I can't stand it not having a trip in planning!

Well, I've been going since I was four and look forward to every trip!!!! DD is three and has been four times and her fifth trip is coming up in February and she'll just be turning 3 1/2. She cried the day we depaprted during our Halloween trip she just didn't want to leave, but was sooo happy when I told her we'd be back in a few months. She asks every several days ,"when are we going to Disney?" She is very excited and definetly gets the magic! We do the parks just a little bit each day and as she gets taller every year there are always new things she can ride. And she adores the characters which makes me happy b/c I'm a big character fan too. This past trip she picked up on the press penny thing all by herself. And is looking forward to adding more pennies when we go back. We have not intorduced her to the autograph book. I figure she'll pick up on that too when she is ready. Right now she has more fun giving each character a big hug!!!!

I hope she keeps the magic too. Although I know as a pre-teen and teen the magic *might* diminish, but maybe not if she's like her mom!!! ::MinnieMo

Hi

I've been going since I was 10 month old. I am now 11 and i still love it. It just keeps getting better and better. But Hoop Dee Doo after six years of watching it gets a bit boring. I've finally talked my DD? out of going there this November.

-Jared

:sunny: :bounce: :sunny: : :bounce: :Pinkbounc :sunny: :earseek: :

Hi

I've been going since I was 10 month old. I am now 11 and i still love it. It just keeps getting better and better. But Hoop Dee Doo after six years of watching it gets a bit boring. I've finally talked my DD? out of going there this November.

-Jared

:sunny: :bounce: :sunny: : :bounce: :Pinkbounc :sunny: :earseek: :

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter