• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fort Wilderness Cabins - Accessibility

Thegoatfeeder

Main thing WDW Needs? More Muppets!
Our 7 month window opens in a the next few weeks and I was just seeing what opportunities might be open etc, we currently have the Poly booked (our home resort).

However, I noticed that we could get one of the new cabins at FW and my partner is OBSESSED with Chip and Dale and very much views this as their resort! So she has always wanted to stay there.

I was going to switch our booking at 7 months, however a couple of questions having never stayed there. I use an ECV to get around, so the first issue I worry about is getting a scooter into the cabin overnight, it looks to me like there are steps up? Has there been any confirmation of that?

Secondly, is getting around just going to be a pain in the ***, we likely can't get an ECV on one of the golf carts, so will have to get the internal bus to either the boat dock, or the main bus stop I assume? It seems to me the DVC cabins are situated right in the middle so I guess its going to be say a 15 minute walk to either the main bus stop/car park or the 'resort area'/boat dock?

As much as I'd like to stay there, I do have concerns for me managing it. I am assuming you can't park at the cabins themselves (or at least you couldn't when they weren't DVC?), would totally kill the vibe if their were cars zooming about everywhere! :rotfl2: .

I guess if we got a cabin near the internal bus stop it could be doable, but getting a bus to then take another bus seems kinda annoying for me.

Using an ECV is preventing me from booking a cabin. DH isn’t thrilled about staying there, but he would if I wanted to do it. We stayed in cabins with our sons in the 1980’s, and DH wasn’t really happy with the extra step it took to get to the parks even then.

Good luck deciding! If you do go, please report here!

There should be a ramp to get into the cabin. The bigger problem is the size of the Fort and distance to the dock. None of the cabins is close to the dock. You can park right at your cabin. The internal bus system adds a lot of time to your outings.

Personally, I'd stay at Poly. Maybe do a "tour" of the new cabins so you can check out accessibility and ask questions for future stays.

Have a great trip!

I am assuming you can't park at the cabins themselves (or at least you couldn't when they weren't DVC?), would totally kill the vibe if their were cars zooming about everywhere! :rotfl2: .

One car may be parked at your cabin. If a party has 2 cars, the other car must park at the Outpost parking lot.

Thanks everyone. To be honest, the news that you can park outside a cabin changes things somewhat. We tend to drive to the parks most days, so, this would take away the need for the internal bus.

We have also talked about hiring one of the golf carts to get down to the dock and that main resort area.

I suppose having a car parked at the cabin means we can leave our ECV in there and just remove the battery at night for charging, meaning the presence of steps is less of an issue.

Our 7 month window opens in a the next few weeks and I was just seeing what opportunities might be open etc, we currently have the Poly booked (our home resort).

However, I noticed that we could get one of the new cabins at FW and my partner is OBSESSED with Chip and Dale and very much views this as their resort! So she has always wanted to stay there.

I was going to switch our booking at 7 months, however a couple of questions having never stayed there. I use an ECV to get around, so the first issue I worry about is getting a scooter into the cabin overnight, it looks to me like there are steps up? Has there been any confirmation of that?

Secondly, is getting around just going to be a pain in the ***, we likely can't get an ECV on one of the golf carts, so will have to get the internal bus to either the boat dock, or the main bus stop I assume? It seems to me the DVC cabins are situated right in the middle so I guess its going to be say a 15 minute walk to either the main bus stop/car park or the 'resort area'/boat dock?

As much as I'd like to stay there, I do have concerns for me managing it. I am assuming you can't park at the cabins themselves (or at least you couldn't when they weren't DVC?), would totally kill the vibe if their were cars zooming about everywhere! :rotfl2: .

I guess if we got a cabin near the internal bus stop it could be doable, but getting a bus to then take another bus seems kinda annoying for me.
As an ECV user myself, I had some of the same concerns, so I took a trip over there. The accessible cabins had ramps to get in. I assume DVC will have those ramps available with the new cabins also. And I found the cabin area to be a very do-able ECV drive to the main bus stop at the front of the resort. DH used to run marathons, and now walks about 5 miles a day for exercise, so I'm sure he'd be willing to make the walk. Don't know the walking ability of your partner, though. The bus stop at the front of the resort, however, isn't going to take you to the MK (nor HDDR) For that, you would have to take the internal bus up to Pioneer Hall and the boat dock. The first couple times we went to WDW, we took the internal bus-didn't know anything about the golf carts, and we had a great time. The Meadowland Trading post, with boats, fishing, and snacks is in the middle of the resort. OK on an ECV, but I'm not so sure about its walk-ability. Only you and your partner can decide if it's too much walking.

As an ECV user myself, I had some of the same concerns, so I took a trip over there. The accessible cabins had ramps to get in. I assume DVC will have those ramps available with the new cabins also. And I found the cabin area to be a very do-able ECV drive to the main bus stop at the front of the resort. DH used to run marathons, and now walks about 5 miles a day for exercise, so I'm sure he'd be willing to make the walk. Don't know the walking ability of your partner, though. The bus stop at the front of the resort, however, isn't going to take you to the MK (nor HDDR) For that, you would have to take the internal bus up to Pioneer Hall and the boat dock. The first couple times we went to WDW, we took the internal bus-didn't know anything about the golf carts, and we had a great time. The Meadowland Trading post, with boats, fishing, and snacks is in the middle of the resort. OK on an ECV, but I'm not so sure about its walk-ability. Only you and your partner can decide if it's too much walking.
This is really good information, thanks so much.

My partner is generally fine with a 15/20 minute walk, I like the idea of getting a golf cart, but I am guessing there is noway to get an ECV on one?

I thought we could take the golf cart with ECV on board down to the dock to get to MK, but I am guessing that won't work!

I thought we could take the golf cart with ECV on board down to the dock to get to MK, but I am guessing that won't work!
The only way I can think of that might work is if you had the kind of ECV that you can break down in about 5 pieces, then put the pieces on the seat of the golf cart. Then when you got up to the Pioneer Hall area, you'd have to take them out and put the ECV back together. The heaviest piece is about 25 pounds, so I don't know if you want to do that. If you're ineterested, though, Youtube has some videos on breaking the scooter down and putting it back. The type of scooter is the GoGo Sport or Elite Traveler.

The only way I can think of that might work is if you had the kind of ECV that you can break down in about 5 pieces, then put the pieces on the seat of the golf cart. Then when you got up to the Pioneer Hall area, you'd have to take them out and put the ECV back together. The heaviest piece is about 25 pounds, so I don't know if you want to do that. If you're ineterested, though, Youtube has some videos on breaking the scooter down and putting it back. The type of scooter is the GoGo Sport or Elite Traveler.
That’s the exact kind that we always get, and to be honest we’re used to breaking them down and taking them in and out of vehicles, so I guess it’s more a question of whether all the parts would fit on the golf cart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter