Four weeks in a studio, using the kitchenette - and survived!

Pluto80

DIS Veteran
So we just returned from our first ever stay as DVC owners. We went for four weeks, myself, husband and kids (aged 11 and 7).
Our plan was to eat in the room as much as we could in an attempt to both save as much money as possible, and to see if it was even practical.
Turns out it was easier than we expected. We don’t even have a microwave at home, so using one was brand new to us. We took some cooking things that would help, trays for cooking bacon, baked potatoes, a steamer etc. It all worked brilliantly. We'll definately be doing the same thing next year. We also invested in an owners locker to keep all of our new kitchen equipment in :-)
I did worry we’d get bored of what we could cook, but it was fantastic. We only had one meal on site - breakfast at Olivia’s, and we went off site three or four times to eat. Apart from that, it was all done in the studio :-)

Wow, amazing. We also do not have a microwave at home so it would be a novelty too. What were the biggest hits for everyone?

Wow I applaud you!!!!!! I dont even like to cook when i have a full kitchen...did you use a crock pot often? I can do a studio but i would only eat breakfast in it.......

So we just returned from our first ever stay as DVC owners. We went for four weeks, myself, husband and kids (aged 11 and 7).
Our plan was to eat in the room as much as we could in an attempt to both save as much money as possible, and to see if it was even practical.
Turns out it was easier than we expected. We don’t even have a microwave at home, so using one was brand new to us. We took some cooking things that would help, trays for cooking bacon, baked potatoes, a steamer etc. It all worked brilliantly. We'll definately be doing the same thing next year. We also invested in an owners locker to keep all of our new kitchen equipment in :-)
I did worry we’d get bored of what we could cook, but it was fantastic. We only had one meal on site - breakfast at Olivia’s, and we went off site three or four times to eat. Apart from that, it was all done in the studio :-)
Wow, 4 weeks is quite a long vacation! Sounds like your plan was successful!:goodvibes Did you do a split stay to break it up a bit and experience different resorts?:confused: We do splits 'by design", like to experience two different resorts in one vaca….:thumbsup2

Wow I applaud you!!!!!! I dont even like to cook when i have a full kitchen...did you use a crock pot often? I can do a studio but i would only eat breakfast in it.......
I'm sorry, I don't know what that is. It's not a term this Brit recognises.

Wow, 4 weeks is quite a long vacation! Sounds like your plan was successful!:goodvibes Did you do a split stay to break it up a bit and experience different resorts?:confused: We do splits 'by design", like to experience two different resorts in one vaca….:thumbsup2
We did. Our first week was at Kidani, then two weeks at OKW and the final one was at the Poly.
Silly thing, but we found a sink drainer to be the most helpful thing we bought, for when we did the washing up! Also, we found the sink at OKW to be way too small. Hoping in the refurb they put in the ones like at the Poly!

I'm impressed, and even more impressed that you ONLY ate 1 meal onsite. When I travel with my family, we never eat less than two meals onsite, and usually three, PER DAY. My wife points out we could travel more, if we could save more on food, but no such luck. I would really like to. So what is your secret? Give us more details about how you handled food.

So what is your secret? Give us more details about how you handled food.

Well, breakfast was just cereal or toast, so pretty easy. Lunch was either a wrap or a sandwich. We were sure to get in the parks early so by lunchtime we were ready for a break back in the room. For tea we'd generally have a lot of the sorts of things we have at home. Baked potatoes, rice and veg, salads. We bought a couple of things specifically for the microwave like pizza pockets (never had those before, kids loved them), and lasagne. We were really surprised that we didn't get bored and had a good variety of different foods. We also didn't snack in the park regularly either, which saved us an absolute fortune. We had the odd treat of course, but kept it to a minimum, and did a lot of sharing.
I honestly didn't think it'd go as well as it did but being there for so long it was worth it. Would rather have a longer, frugal trip any day!

There really isn't a lot of counter space for crockpot in a studio kitchenette with the exception of the kitchenette at BLT. But I would check with member services to see if it is allowed to bring in small kitchen appliances into a studio.

We did happen to mention it to a CM at OKW and they said it was fine to have one. You're right about the space though, might be hard to fit in.

One concern I have always had about cooking in a DVC studio is that the sinks do not have garbage disposals. Any food, grease, or other refuse that goes down the drain can get stuck and end up clogging the drain pipe.

Very impressive. I've often thought whether I could accomplish this on a shorter trip but then I think about the restaurants I enjoy at Disney and he cramped the studio kitchenettes are. And then I book a few ADRs.

One concern I have always had about cooking in a DVC studio is that the sinks do not have garbage disposals. Any food, grease, or other refuse that goes down the drain can get stuck and end up clogging the drain pipe.
We don't have those in the UK anyway, so are used to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter