Free DDP?

knw6883

Earning My Ears
I've seen some mentioning that they got the dining plan for free last august/sept - was this a special deal for those who have packages, like the current ticket special? Is it likely that the special will happen again, and does anyone remember when it was announced last year?

It is very unlikely that that promotion will be offered again. It was the introduction of the Dining Plan, so it was an especially good deal. The current version of the dining plan is still a great deal for many guests, even at its current cost.

This was an incredible deal! It FORCED me to make an extra trip in early October! :cool1:
It was a great promotion for the DDP though and I purchased it for my next trip. Worth it, even when paying for it! :sunny:

Thanks for the information! It's seeming like a good deal since it's going to be just me and the soon-to-be DH on our honeymoon, so we'd be able to eat at more nice table service establishments and not have to count out pennies. :) Young couple starting out!

I, too, doubt we'll ever see the DDP offered for free again. I took advantage of this last October as well.

Not only was it a way to kick start the service, and to celebrate the 50th anniversary, etc., but I think it was also an attempt to get more people to book rooms at the resorts. It may have been somewhat successful in getting people to book rooms at rack rates, as in the above poster's case, but I doubt it was all that great for Disney's bottom line, considering how much food they were giving away for free, not to mention all the wages the food service and restaurant CM's had to be paid. I can't imagine the difference between discounted room rates and rack rates made up for this loss. The resorts were mostly filled already by the 50th celebration, F&W festival, more people using fall breaks from school (like us) than in years past.

I would bet we're more likely to see straight-up room rate discounts than free DDP offers. I've never been able to save more than $350 or so on room rates for a week's stay, but that free DDP saved us about $630 last fall.

John,

You mentioned you think there'll be room discounts - so you think there will be some sort of discount no matter what? For AP holders only, or the general public? I'm booking early through DU and I'm just trying to get an idea if the price I pay will be the price that it stays, or if it's common for some type of discount to come up and what it might be. I'm not planning on it happening, I'd just like to get an idea.

knw6883 said:
I've seen some mentioning that they got the dining plan for free last august/sept - was this a special deal for those who have packages, like the current ticket special? Is it likely that the special will happen again, and does anyone remember when it was announced last year?

As you've likely heard by now, it was a special for a limited time. It's not expected to come back.
However, if you're willing to rent points and stay at a Disney Vacation Club property, you can add the dining plan to those reservations now. The price for a DVC rental plus dining plan could easily be cheaper than a room only, at other resorts. So, in my mind, it's like getting the food free (atleast from a budgetary point of view).

BUt, even if it's not precisely cheaper, it is a GOOD DEAL!

For example, using Value Season rates for both (Sun-Thu)

going rate for a studio at OKW: ~$80US/nt + $90 meal plan for two adults = "$170 incl all taxes
The cheapest room at a moderate resort, including all taxes = ~$155.
So, you're getting that day's meals for $15.
Compare to a premium view room or guaranteed King bed, or whatever, and it's the same or CHEAPER to go with DVC and meals (not to mention roomier with a kitchennette!)

Comparing a 1-bed or even 2bd DVC property to two separate hotel rooms, and it's a great deal.

And, you don't need to buy rack rate tickets, either. You can bring your own AP, buy discount tickets on line or AAA, buy at the gate, whatever.
I mention this in part because I (and others I know) didn't know about the DVC + dining deal because we don't normally read the DVC boards -- and didn't know about the change.
Maybe this info will help someone,
--Barbara

There is a down side to renting. You have to make an agreement with someone who is honest and has a good reputation. Having no previous posts (you) would be a liabilty. The money needs to be paid in advance and there is a strict or no refund policy. There is also no maid service except trash and towel every four days, cleaning on the seventh day. Disney does not guarantee or get involved in these transactions. Just so you see both sides!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter