Free Dining doubtful - travel agent says WDW bookings up by 50% for August this year

Any service business needs to factor in potential cancellations. A huge business like Disney/WDW has a large crew of bean counters/statisticians/actuaries that are trained to calculate things such as how many people booked free dining in hopes of it being offered and how many will cancel those reservations if not offered. They have calculations down to almost an exact science. I work in insurance and it is amazing how our actuaries come within 5% on most calculations they make on all aspects of the insurance business. Disney will make their decision on free dining based on what the actuaries estimate attendance to actually be for that time frame. For all who are waiting, I hope they offer it. If bookings are really up, they may decide to offer it again but on a limited basis (limit # of rooms) so I would book fast. Done give up hope yet! Good Luck!!!

We have gone the past 2 years in August but this year we have to go at the end of July. I thought I heard something about many of the southern states not starting school until later in August this year. Perhaps that may account for a busier than normal August.

I am VERY south, and we're starting school earlier. I'm a teacher and will start Aug 1! Yes, August 1!!! :mad: The students will begin 6 I think.

But, I wonder if anyone will just flat out cancel their bookings if there is no free dining.

I'm sure there will be cancellations if there is no free dining for the general public this year. We haven't booked a resort, since we're not likely to go in August without free dining, but we booked our outgoing flights and made a few ADR's, just in case.

I guess we just have to wait and see...hopefully not too long though! I am going NUTS!:eek:

Me too! My worry is that bookings are up so there won't be a free dining promotion in April, then lots of people who booked hoping for free dining will cancel, and they'll decide to offer it after all, when we least expect it. Oh well--another reason to justify visiting the Disboards every day, right?

I would guess that those booking with the idea that free dining will be offered, will wait until the bitter end before canceling in hopes that it gets offered. Should they cancel then there is litterally no chance that they will get rooms/ADR's that they had originally. At that point the trip/airfare may already be paid for so I can see where there would be a point of no return on this.

I too am hoping for free Dining. :goodvibes We will go, in September, no matter what as my DD7 is off-track then. We've been 4 times in Sept. and of course prefer the 2 times we did free DDP! :goodvibes If you asked my DM, she probably say she prefers to go without it. :confused3 I know she doesn't like it when I make all the ADRs and then she worries that I'll be upset if we don't make them all (and we don't). I always have to explain to her that there area usually only a few that I insist we keep, all others are negotiable. That's why we didn't do Coral Reef, San Angel Inn, and Rose and Crown last year. Our plans changed, and we didn't go to a park, those days.

I guess I'm one of the few who hasn't booked September yet. I actually just realized that the 180+10 window is now here for Sept. I know, what was I thinking? But actually, I booked our trip for last September in April (as soon as the Visa card free DDP window opened) as was able to get all my ADRs. I continued to make more ADRS up until, I think, August, with most of them being made by June. Again, I had no problem (I didn' t ask for, or want CRT) Even during our trip, I was able to make ADRs (while cancelling others) without too much trouble. The hardest one to get while we were there was Narcoossee's. I booked it half way thru our trip and while Saturday and Sunday weren't availble, Monday was and it made a memorable last meal. :goodvibes Probably the two ADRs that I made that would be hardest to get were Calif. Grill and Le Cellier. We've done them both the last 2 times and probably will skip them this year. Le Cellier, for sure. CG is still up in the air. Without DDP, both will be out.

I still may book our room, after all, I can cancel it, if needed. However, we will still be going, we'll just be on more of a budget. More meals in the room, etc. Less TS.

Crossing my fingers,.......

We are going 8/19-26. My kids will miss the first day of school but it was the only week we could get the trip in. With marching band, visitation with other parents in other states...well you know how it goes. We are wishing for Free Dining but will still be going otherwise. The only change we will make should free dining come out is changing from POP to Coronado or doing a split stay so we can use that extra savings and give it right back to WDW.

Kelly

I am VERY south, and we're starting school earlier. I'm a teacher and will start Aug 1! Yes, August 1!!! :mad: The students will begin 6 I think.
Wow, that is early. We start Sept 5th.
When do you end school? We end June 26th.

Still hoping for free dining!

Didn't we hear earlier last year,,last week or so of March about the free dining being offerd on April 4th? I don't remember for sure who broke the story but I am thinking that it was Allears. Anyone remember?
We are booked for August and will go regardless, but it would really be great to have it again!!!!! Got to pray, I guess!:worship:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for free dining or something comparable. I had talked Dh into a trip in Sept if we got the 40% off discount but we didn't:sad: . So I know if free dining comes out I won't have a problem convincing him.
I'm just not sure if I should make my ADRS hoping that a good enough deal comes out.

I'm not sure I buy the 50% more bookings figure. Is this 50% more than when Disney offered free dining? I know that many, like me, booked early so that we could make our 180+10 day ADRs, but I and my entire group of 19 will be cancelling and making off-site arrangements if a great deal isn't offered. I'm sure Disney is aware of this! (Not my personal situation, but the situation in general.)
The only way it makes sense is if bookings are up 50% over the same time last year, which was before the free dining was offered. So if this is true, then WDW is looking at the numbers right now and saying that free DDP isn't required to get attendance up in the fall, so don't bother. Who knows?:confused3

I doubt I would go if there isn't some really sweet discount for that time of year. Better off just paying a bit more to go in Nov/Dec when the weather is a lot better, or simply save the money until the next recession or attack. Then WDW will be begging for visitors.

I doubt I would go if there isn't some really sweet discount for that time of year. Better off just paying a bit more to go in Nov/Dec when the weather is a lot better, or simply save the money until the next recession or attack. Then WDW will be begging for visitors.

:scratchin

Uh, I'm confused. There already is a sweet discount available for that time of year. (40%) What else would you be expecting? :confused:

We were not planning a trip this year (we went June 06). If they offer free dining I told my husband we are going.....if not, then we don't go. We never got the 40% off code :sad: . I have not made hotel or dining reservations, just going to wait and watch :bored: . I would really LOVE to go back this summer :goodvibes !!

Uh, I'm confused. There already is a sweet discount available for that time of year. (40%) What else would you be expecting? :confused:

but not everyone has been able to get that 40% off.

we'll go regardless...but free dining would be VERY nice...we'll be getting the plan either way - dh wants to do a lot of TS meals - me, I'd be fine with mostly CS and a few TS...but it's all good to me...we're going to DISNEY WORLD :cool1:

I was not offered the pin code either. We got one for earlier in the year but not as god and not at a time when I could get away with my DGD.

Are they offering that discount for the general public? I was under the impression that the code was sent only to specific persons and that many people who didn't get the code sent to them got luck and were able to use it.

Are CMs still allowing the general public to use the code for booking? :confused3

No not everyone got this offer. Some where not traveling during the dates designated, while others didn't get the offer. (We arrive Aug. 15-24)

These are the dates that the 40% discount can be applied to:

Feb. 25-March 7
May 28-June 3
Aug 21-Oct 6
Oct 21-Nov 3
Nov 11-Nov 16
Dec 9-Dec 22

You are. The 40% is not offered for everyone. I would jump all over it!

Group of 21 here. I have 2 sisters that were sent pin codes for the 40% off, but neither of these 2 sisters is coming with us. We didn't get a code, so, yes, I am expecting something more than just 0% off rack rate!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter