Free Dining ? I know tip is included but...

vellamint

DIS Veteran
did you tip on top of that anyway? I dont know why but wonder if I will feel "cheap" if I do not leave a tip......anyone know if the servers are taken care of properly (15% - 20%). I would hate to see them not get what they should tipwise...(assuming good service of course!)

I think I heard somewhere that the servers get 18% tip. They definitely get taken care of...you don't have to feel cheap if you don't leave anything EXTRA! The servers will usually go out of their way to help you make the most out of the plan...if they do this and maximize its value, their tip goes up as well!!!

the servers receive 18% gratuity on the total of the bill before taxes, and from what i understand, most are pleased w/the number of folks on the dining plan as they are making better tips than before...

we found that for average service, we did not add to the tip unless we ordered something OOP as well (i.e. cocktails) and we tipped on that amount... for above average service, we tossed a few bucks on the table (in addition to any OOP bill amount)... for exceptional service (which we experienced at boatwrights) we left a considerable additional tip because it was well-deserved!

it took a few meals to get over that "cheap" feeling for us as well...

We haven't used the Dining Plan yet, we will in May. But, when we have dined with the Candelight Processional in the past we had some experiences at Le Chefs de France that were beyond expected service and we left an additional tip. :teeth:

When on the dining plan we always tip on any extra items that we pay out of pocket for. Like others, we leave extra $$s for good attentive service and 10% more for exceptional service.

18% is not cheap. But we leave extra for exceptional service or for extras ordered.

DH & I are big tippers. We always have been. Unless the service is really really bad, we always tip extra on the dining plan. Last year we had free dining and we tipped extra on pretty much every TS meal. We gave the waiter at Le Cellier a really great tip because he was just so awesome and he was being sent back to Canada in a few weeks.

Unless it's changed some of the non-Disney restaurants base the tip on the money they're being paid by Disney and not on the dollar value of the food you order.

18% is a reasonable TIP, many of us normally tip 20% for excellent service so I normally leave a few extra dollars.

Check your bill for out of pocket items. Sometimes an automatic gratuity is added, even for small tables.

Thanks for everybody's quick replies!! I am so excited to be on the dining plan!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter