• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free dining in the fall?

Will you take advantage of free dining this year?

• Yes

Votes: 68 68.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think so. Go read the thread in the Disney Dining forum. A whole lot of folks disappointed who tried to book during periods when they have historically been able to land FD. And there is a 6 week window blocked out from the offer (Oct 1st - Nov 14th). So bookings are not as soft this year during this period as they have been in the last decade or so.

They only made a handful of rooms available for this offer. The Mod resorts are over run with construction and POFQ isn't included in the offer. So the "disappointment" being expressed is due to very few rooms offered in this promo, especially Mod rooms which are the most popular. It isn't because thousands of rooms were booked at 6am this morning.

Seems like there was very very limited amount of free dining with value resorts this year. We barely snagged an all star sports, (we wanted Pop like everyone else, lol). And we were up and on the system all night checking for the offer. Next year, I see them getting rid of free dining for the values altogether. It definitely wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately.
I can see them switching to SPD, but I doubt that Values will ever be just a RO discount in September. As a percentage of the total vacation cost, a RO discount at a Value is insignificant.

Mods fill up on their own now, and Deluxes have never been impacted by FD in the past since RO discounts save most families more money. But the Value Resorts are not a "value" given the off-site options available to families in need of help to make a WDW vacation materialize. Those rooms will sit empty in Sept without a significant discount.

They only made a handful of rooms available for this offer. The Mod resorts are over run with construction and POFQ isn't included in the offer. So the "disappointment" being expressed is due to very few rooms offered in this promo, especially Mod rooms which are the most popular. It isn't because thousands of rooms were booked at 6am this morning.
The amazing thing is that these rooms appear to be sold out for most dates even at rack rate right now. When trying to book a week in September you typically see availability at every resort, even on the day that FD is released. That just isn't the case right now. So it isn't just that thy limited the offer to a few rooms - it appears that there were very few rooms available to start with today.

Now we wait to see if that changes because people are unhappy with their price point and cancel.

I can see them switching to SPD, but I doubt that Values will ever be just a RO discount in September. As a percentage of the total vacation cost, a RO discount at a Value is insignificant.

Mods fill up on their own now, and Deluxes have never been impacted by FD in the past since RO discounts save most families more money. But the Value Resorts are not a "value" given the off-site options available to families in need of help to make a WDW vacation materialize. Those rooms will sit empty in Sept without a significant discount.

To me, it seems like they are almost "phasing out" free dining, and just making free dining less and less accessible each year. You're right about those rooms potentially sitting empty if they don't give a worth while discount, but I think to Disney feels that free dining is "too" good of a discount.

I also think that while this used to be a much slower time of year, it has picked up. Each year we go in the fall, it seems to get busier. This also could be the FD promotion, somewhat. I think that Disney thinks, why offer such a "great" discount if the people are going to come anyways.

We were going regardless of FD, but it's nice to have.

The amazing thing is that these rooms appear to be sold out for most dates even at rack rate right now. When trying to book a week in September you typically see availability at every resort, even on the day that FD is released. That just isn't the case right now. So it isn't just that thy limited the offer to a few rooms - it appears that there were very few rooms available to start with today.

Now we wait to see if that changes because people are unhappy with their price point and cancel.
I have been checking resorts for about the past month, and it seemed like very limited availability for any resorts at every price point.
I have a feeling people went booking crazy, and when they don't get the resort they wanted, or the promo/price they wanted, we will start to see some availability in the resorts.
Especially because a lot of the travel blogs and podcasts seem to be giving people advice to "book now, we can add the promo later". Well, that only works if there's availability, and if that entire resort appears to be booked solid, they're only going to release a small handful of rooms for any promotions.

To me, it seems like they are almost "phasing out" free dining, and just making free dining less and less accessible each year. You're right about those rooms potentially sitting empty if they don't give a worth while discount, but I think to Disney feels that free dining is "too" good of a discount.

I also think that while this used to be a much slower time of year, it has picked up. Each year we go in the fall, it seems to get busier. This also could be the FD promotion, somewhat. I think that Disney thinks, why offer such a "great" discount if the people are going to come anyways.

And we're on the flip side of that. I have no problem planning around Free Dining. In fact this entire trip was. Were we going to go if we didn't get Free Dining? Yes, however we would have gone and stayed off property. I was prepared to cancel our reservation after this morning if we didn't get the promo. Luckily, we got it, and it's going to turn this into the trip of a lifetime for us! It's not that I'm nickel and diming my vacation, but I also want to be able to live the way we're used to for the rest of the year too. :)

I'm so excited. This is my children's first trip to Disney. Husband and I honeymooned there, and we've been many times before. Can't wait to share the magical experience with our Boys!

Maybe cause people booked rooms months in advance waiting for free dining so they could modify their reservation?!

I have been checking resorts for about the past month, and it seemed like very limited availability for any resorts at every price point.
I have a feeling people went booking crazy, and when they don't get the resort they wanted, or the promo/price they wanted, we will start to see some availability in the resorts.
Especially because a lot of the travel blogs and podcasts seem to be giving people advice to "book now, we can add the promo later". Well, that only works if there's availability, and if that entire resort appears to be booked solid, they're only going to release a small handful of rooms for any promotions.

This is a very valid point. I hadn't thought about it this way.

Of course they're phasing it out...it was designed for a specific purpose....

What I can't get...and you see some today...is why anyone thinks disney "likes" it?

Ummm...why?

What I can't get...and you see some today...is why anyone thinks disney "likes" it?

Ummm...why?

I said they were going to do away with it in the beginning of this thread and people told me I was nuts...

Maybe cause people booked rooms months in advance waiting for free dining so they could modify their reservation?!
That's me. I was, however, able to negotiate a free room upgrade + a small discount on my existing reservation total as compensation for the lack of availability of the free dining. And there's always the chance it will become available to me sometime between now and my September trip.

This is a very valid point. I hadn't thought about it this way.
(In response to your other post):
There is absolutely nothing wrong with planning around free dining. I like a good bargain, we all do. My family and I love Disney World and go every fall, and we love free dining. It especially works out with a larger party of 6 people.
I hope you absolutely have the trip of your dreams with your boys!

(In response to this post): I truly think that Disney decided, hey, there's already demand. If we release a small amount in each category, it doesn't matter. But I don't think the general public thought of it this way, and the overbooking hurt the promotion as a whole this year. That's just my opinion.

That's me. I was, however, able to negotiate a free room upgrade + a small discount on my existing reservation total as compensation for the lack of availability of the free dining. And there's always the chance it will become available to me sometime between now and my September trip.

Uh huh, so you don't see your actions as to why you couldn't get the promo? I mean, I think Disney is going to do away with this anyway, but you make no correlation to having a booking in advance as opposed to waiting for the offer?

(In response to your other post):
There is absolutely nothing wrong with planning around free dining. I like a good bargain, we all do. My family and I love Disney World and go every fall, and we love free dining. It especially works out with a larger party of 6 people.
I hope you absolutely have the trip of your dreams with your boys!

(In response to this post): I truly think that Disney decided, hey, there's already demand. If we release a small amount in each category, it doesn't matter. But I don't think the general public thought of it this way, and the overbooking hurt the promotion as a whole this year. That's just my opinion.

The vets have been saying this for at least the past 2 years. The Free Dining Defenders think that's completely false. Welcome to this side of sanity.

Ummm...why?
Almost no one believes that Disney likes it - we are not fools. Everyone understands that these discounts are to fill a void for Disney. If/when that void fills itself, say good bye to these discounts.

Septembers used to see empty resorts, restaurants and parks, but Disney's operating costs were fixed. Free Dining and similar discounts (buy 4 nights get 3 free, Stay Play Dine, etc.) were meant to put people in the resorts, parks and restaurants. It was an amazing time to visit WDW until recently. But these promotions have created travel habits among a fairly large segment of WDW guests, and we may find that those people prefer to return that time of the year even without the discounts. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I said they were going to do away with it in the beginning of this thread and people told me I was nuts...

Those people are insane and thinking with their wallets...

By that, I mean they have convinced themselves that Disney is happy to have them at the price they are comfortable paying (which goes up every year)
...that is not the case. Not for a minite.

The travel calendar is incredibly packed 365 days a year now..."free dining" periods are the last holdout to regular price. Bob iger wants No discounts! He'll say it to your face...believe him!

Matter of time.

Uh huh, so you don't see your actions as to why you couldn't get the promo? I mean, I think Disney is going to do away with this anyway, but you make no correlation to having a booking in advance as opposed to waiting for the offer?
To be clear, my booking date had nothing to do with free dining. I booked when I did because I always book nearly a year in advance, and I had every intention of keeping the existing reservation regardless of whether or not there was a free dining offer.

Almost no one believes that Disney likes it - we are not fools. Everyone understands that this discounts is to fill a void for Disney. If/when that void fills itself, say good bye to these discounts.

Septembers used to see empty resorts, restaurants and parks, but Disney's operating costs were fixed. Free Dining and similar discounts (buy 4 nights get 3 free, Stay Play Dine, etc.) were meant to put people in the resorts, parks and restaurants. It was an amazing time to visit WDW until recently. But these promotions have created travel habits among a fairly large segment of WDW guests, and we may find that those people prefer to return that time of the year even without the discounts. Only time will tell.

Honestly...read the comments for the last 5+ years on these threads...I did for along time before I ever commented on this....

Maybe you're not that dumb (jury out :) )...but many have no idea what and who they're dealing with.

This is a coupon, not a policy...don't treat it as such. They've just priced too many people out to allow them to kill it...that's the bottom line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter