Free Resort Parking @ DVC Resort Extend to Rented Points?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
We're good to go this Oct at BW because we reserved 11 months out on rented points but going forward will those who rent points at DVC resorts get free parking?

Thanks,
Bill From PA

All stays at DVC resorts parking is free.

Not quite. A non-member paying cash would be subject to the nightly fee. But any stays that involve DVC points--including rentals--are free. Members paying cash are also free at DVC resorts.

Besides that the fees do not apply to DVC rentals, they also do not apply to anyone except those who first made a reservation on March 21, 2018 or after, for any vacation time after March 21 so, as you note, you are good for October. In my personal contact with DVC, they confirmed that any DVC reservation (including one made for the member's rental or other guests, will not be subject to the parking fees). They also confirmed that a member's paying cash to stay at a DVC resort or using points to stay at a non-DVC resort will not be charged.

Last edited:

Besides that the fees do not apply to any DVC reservation (rental included), they also do not apply to anyone except those who first made a reservation on March 21, 2018 or after, for any vacation time after March 21. Thus, since you made your reservation last November, there cannot possibly be any fees even if you reserved through Disney.

Got it, I know I'm good for this Oct., I was concerned about future DVC rentals. We book the next year as soon as we return from the current one so this Oct we'll be booking Board Walk for 2019, probably for early Nov so we can get 2 trips under the AP we'll be getting for that. We spoil ourselves now that the kids are grown and gone so we'd probably suck it up and pay the fee, but not having to is better.

Bill From PA

Besides that the fees do not apply to DVC rentals, they also do not apply to anyone except those who first made a reservation on March 21, 2018 or after, for any vacation time after March 21 so, as you note, you are good for October. In my personal contact with DVC, they confirmed that any DVC reservation (including one made for the member's rental or other guests, will not be subject to the parking fees). They also confirmed that a member's paying cash to stay at a DVC resort or using points to stay at a non-DVC resort will not be charged.

Now let's consider "unintended consequences" :). Subtitled "how a company slaps itself in the face"....

1) RENT DVC Points through DVC owner - no parking fee.
2) Do the same thing through Disney? (this is what you are actually doing when you book a DVC property through Disney as they simply "own" the points) - BOOM, Parking Fee :).

None of this affects us - we fly in, never drive or rent a car. We sort of LIKE Disney.... hate to see them become non-competitive while trying to rent their own DVC points :).

Plain and simple: If you are a DVC member and/or staying on points then you don't pay for parking. Our upkeep costs go towards paying for the parking lot so WDW legally cannot charge us to park in it. As we still pay upkeep on the points we rent out, our guests still get that privilege.

This could change in the future if they remove parking lot maintenance from our upkeep costs, but that would be an uphill battle for Disney on both legal and PR fronts. So for now it is a fair bet to say DVC members and their guests who rent points from them will not be subject to parking fees in the near future.

Plain and simple: If you are a DVC member and/or staying on points then you don't pay for parking. Our upkeep costs go towards paying for the parking lot so WDW legally cannot charge us to park in it. As we still pay upkeep on the points we rent out, our guests still get that privilege.

This could change in the future if they remove parking lot maintenance from our upkeep costs, but that would be an uphill battle for Disney on both legal and PR fronts. So for now it is a fair bet to say DVC members and their guests who rent points from them will not be subject to parking fees in the near future.
It can’t change even if they remove the parking lot costs from MFs.

The parking lots are common elements and by Florida Law, the common elements belong to the owners in equal share to their unit ownership.

Florida law requires ownership of common elements to wholly transfer with the deed, so they can’t restrict resale owners, either.

In my Poly POS and I’m sure there’s similar language in the other resorts, I have a non-exclusive easement to use the parking lots.

Also by law, that extends to my guests and leasees.

None of that was DVC being nice to its owners; it’s the law.

Now let's consider "unintended consequences" :). Subtitled "how a company slaps itself in the face"....

1) RENT DVC Points through DVC owner - no parking fee.
2) Do the same thing through Disney? (this is what you are actually doing when you book a DVC property through Disney as they simply "own" the points) - BOOM, Parking Fee :).

Basically, any reservation made through DVC Member Services is not subject to the parking fee.
Any reservation made directly with Disney will be charged parking.[/QUOTE]

AS the previous poster said, many resorts no longer use passes, they scan your magic bands.

Last edited:
Hey sorry to revive a thread so many months later...does anyone have any experience with this now that the policy has been implemented?

We will be renting a car for one day only to do some errands, and will be keeping it over night. It will be at SSR, so I think we'll be fine. However, we are doing a split stay, and will be picking up from POFQ. Since it would technically be a day visit, and not overnight, would we be fine, do you think? Or should we talk to the front desk just to let them know we will have a car, for pickup only?

Hey sorry to revive a thread so many months later...does anyone have any experience with this now that the policy has been implemented?

We will be renting a car for one day only to do some errands, and will be keeping it over night. It will be at SSR, so I think we'll be fine. However, we are doing a split stay, and will be picking up from POFQ. Since it would technically be a day visit, and not overnight, would we be fine, do you think? Or should we talk to the front desk just to let them know we will have a car, for pickup only?

Only overnight guests are charged for parking. Any one can pull in for a few hours in the day and not pay a penny for parking.

If I rent dvc points from an owner and connect the reservation in MDE then my magic band will allow me to park overnight at the resort?

A couple of observations.
Some international guests are not been charged parking until 2020 (UK) at any Disney resort.
When I stayed in July and August I saw no attempt at DVC (Boardwalk and Kidani) to even ask if you had a car, or charge anyone. No one checked when I drove into Boardwalk if I was on points and my magic bands were not scanned, the guard just asked me if I was staying there and then waived me in.
Strangely I did have a paper parking permit left in my room at Kidani, which I put on the dashboard, but I didn't notice any other cars displaying them.

Sorry to bring thread back does the free parking apply to the other resorts like HHI or Aulani?

Sorry to bring thread back does the free parking apply to the other resorts like HHI or Aulani?

It should, since parking area upkeep would be included in the common area maintenance portion of the resort dues. The only thing for Aulani that is different, as far as I know, is the transient tax (basically an additional room tax) imposed by the State of Hawai'i that is paid by the guest/member staying in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter