"Free" trip--what would you do?

3DisneyKids

More Drink, Less Run...Since 2008
Hi All--here is my situation. DH and just got back from an Adults Only trip in October. He likes Disney, but not the way I do, and thus has no desire to go back again right away. I know...crazy....but I love him anyway!

So, I have an AP, and we own DVC, so I have points and can stay "free" and don't have to lay out money for accommodations. PLUS, I have a credit on Southwest that has to be used up by mid-Feb. So that is everything except food...basically a free trip!

DH says that he doesn't want to take the time off to go again. We have 3 kids, ages 7, 5, and 4. I don't think going alone with all 3 is much of an option...way too much for me. Here are my options:

--Go Solo. Never done it, but think it would be interesting.
--Take just one kid, and start a trend of doing special one-on-one vacations with each kid. I like this idea, but I worry it will break the hearts of the other two.
--Twist DH's arm and make it a family event (we all have tix and we stay DVC, so only a little extra for airfare after I use up my credit, plus food for 5)....I know that if I really hammer on him for a while, he will likely cave.
--Go with just DH and make it a resort-only vacation, so he doesn't feel like he's "doing Disney" again...more of a relaxing Florida vacation.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

(P.S. Most of my friends think I am a freak show for loving Disney so much, so going with a girlfriend is not an option. They all feel that they "HAVE to go to Disney for the kids..." and wouldn't consider going without.)

You buy me an airline ticket so I can join you. LOL

I'd at least consider the solo trip. I did a few days alone this past September - I was very nervous about the idea, but I had a great time and will try to do it again. Besides, if you take other people, the trip becomes un-free, right? ;)

I like the one-on-one trips, but I'm not sure how I'd present it ot the kids. It's doable, but every kid is different.......

Either as a solo or take the 7yo. Normally that age does not need a stroller and will tend to pay attention. Also, at that age there is the mixed concept of "the Characters are real" but at the back of the mind they are not. I was just with some relatives recently with a 7yo grandneice and I had the best time watching her.

My aunt has done solo trips with her girls (6 and 7). Last year the oldest got to go to the zoo. It was great for them. She loved having MOM to herself and not having her sister intrupting when she talked. I would say a one on one trip then pick dates to go with the other two.

Thanks for the suggestions so far...keep 'em coming! And my 7 yo still thinks the characters are "real." I LOVE that! No need for them to grow up faster than they already are!

My opinion .... none of the above. You're a frequent guest. You're a DVC member. You're a pro. You can do it with 3 kids. Bring all of your kids and you will have the best time ever!

Take me..take me...course not sure hubby would like that... :rotfl2: :lmao:

I just got back from my first solo trip in Dec...I am glad I did it because I always wanted to try it alone...go when and where I want...I am glad I did it..not sure I would do it again...just seemd real odd to not have the kids or a significant other...seeing the families having fun kinda bothered me...course seeing the crying and fighting families made me feel just the opposite..

Whatever you decide...have a great time!!! :thumbsup2

I'm torn on this one. My BF is a disney freak like me so I would have no problem getting her to go with me! I would love to take just oldest dd though too. I like having mother daughter time with just her and I. DH would never agree to letting me go without him (even though he's not as huge a disney fan as I am) he always wants to go on the vacations with us!

If you can both get past the "guilt" thing. I would do the adult only trip. Then again, I can't relate as we don't have children.

I would narrow it down to two parks. MK and Epcot. I would also visit Pleasure Island and Downtown Disney and dine at Boma and Kona.

Either way, it's a hard decision to make. Go with your first inclination. You know your family the best.

If hubby really doesn't want to go, and is willing to stay with the younger kids, I would take the oldest if you know the other 2 will eventually get their own vacation with mom. Kids grow up so fast, and one of these days the 7 yr old will know about charactors are not real, and that day comes much to soon :confused3 So while she still believes enjoy a trip with her, the others will get their chance :thumbsup2 My kids are all grown now, I regret not having the time or money to do one on one vactions will my 3 kids.

lol--I think the decision may have been made for me tonight...(though I will report back later for sure...)

DH HAS SEEN THE LIGHT!! We were out to dinner...all 5 of us...and out of the blue he blurts, "I wish we were at a TS restaurant at Disney right now. I miss it so much! I just love it there..." and then he continued to gush and gush for a while...I joked with him and told him that he was positively dripping with Pixie Dust! He smiled and agreed that he was! Now I have to check some dates...

3DisneyKids said:
lol--I think the decision may have been made for me tonight...(though I will report back later for sure...)

DH HAS SEEN THE LIGHT!! We were out to dinner...all 5 of us...and out of the blue he blurts, "I wish we were at a TS restaurant at Disney right now. I miss it so much! I just love it there..." and then he continued to gush and gush for a while...I joked with him and told him that he was positively dripping with Pixie Dust! He smiled and agreed that he was! Now I have to check some dates...

Well that's great. I'm taking my very first solo trip in April. Like you, we're DVC Members and one trip per year is just fine for DH. Me; I'll go whenever the opportunity arrises! I'm the WDW Nut of the family.

Have a great time!

Thats great! You guys will have a great time!! Good luck checking dates and all!

gee I though you and your oldest would have a fun mother/daughter trip.

oh well - I guess you want your entire family! :goodvibes

Hi Pat--oldest is a son (not that it matters, really...would love one on one time with him as well!), but it looks like we may all be going. All 3 kids love Disney, though it is DS (the oldest) and I who are in the obsessed category, so he would be a great choice to do a one-on-one trip with. DH *wants* to go now (which in itself is a victory) though he has not yet commited yet. Keeping my fingers crossed...

SOLO baby!! I have a family that also loves Disney (although decidedly I'm the most nuts) but I can't wait for the day I can do a solo trip. On our last trip I had a few hours one morning to myself and had THE best time! Yes, it's odd without the kids and/or DH, but you can just do whatever tickles your fancy at any moment without having to take a vote on it!

And remember, whatever you decide, it's a DISNEY TRIP!!!!!!! :banana:

DW and I have only been once before and she was the "nut" to begin with but now I've for sure taken over that category...hands down!

I think a solo trip would be neat...but only after I've been to the world a half dozen times or so. There are a few different 'genres' of trip I'd like to take before going solo.

1. Last trip before having kids
2. DW being pregnant (maybe)
3. Kids...when they're old enough (>5)
4. 2 families
5. Adults only
6. Possibly solo.

Did I miss any?

My sister and I went this past summer. No husbands or kids. We had the best time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter