• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Friends/Family going/ $$ question

McMouse Family said:
I am surprised to see how many people are "charging" their family and/or friends ANYTHING to share a room or villa.

I guess "charging" sounds like a bad word. Honestly though the two trips we took in the past and the one I'm panning now are in the 1200 point range.

If the other families in my gourp hadn't offered to help defray the cost the first time we went then there probably would have only been one trip. By them relaizing that DVC is not free for us we'll have years of family vacation together.

I guess we're lucky that our family realizes ther expense of one of these trips and is willing to pay part of their way.

We've brought two other families as our guests, my husband's parents, my mother, my SIL, a couple of nieces for a few trips. We've never charged them anything for the villa expenses because we invited them. With the kids, we even bought their tickets and paid for their meals. Adults and families buy their own tickets and the majority of their meals. The girls' parents gave them spending money and offered to pay for a good meal for the entire family. The others always took our family and theirs out for a nice meal - usually a character meal - and also provided some of the groceries. We have never had anyone ask to join us, they wait to be invited.

This Sept, we are going to DL for four nights for the 1/2 marathon. One of the families we took to WDW with us is also going and they have asked for their room to be near our room since we had such a great time together. We agreed on that one, too.

McMouse Family said:
I am surprised to see how many people are "charging" their family and/or friends ANYTHING to share a room or villa. EVERY TIME that we've asked family to go, we have never expected a dime in return. What we did hope for in return is that they would have a good time! I would feel very uncomfortable if family was "subrenting" from us or paying the difference.

They have been asked by us, which makes them our guests. :thumbsup2

I think the point some people are bringing up is that they've invited some people once and now it seems like they have to bring them every time. If you ask someone to go along, you shouldn't be asking for anything in return. But if they invite themselves, they should be paying something.

bpmorley said:
I think the point some people are bringing up is that they've invited some people once and now it seems like they have to bring them every time. If you ask someone to go along, you shouldn't be asking for anything in return. But if they invite themselves, they should be paying something.

yeah like their entire trip :bounce:

Almost all of our Disney trips are with extended family. We always get enough rooms/units to be comfortable, not crowded and split the costs on a person basis. These trips aren't invitations, but are more like we decide when we want to go and whoever can make joins in. I've covered the cost for one sister and a niece a few times since they couldn't afford to go.

This year we are going with DH cousin's and his wife and we gave them the choice of where to stay and what kind of unit. They decided on SSR 2 bedroom so we're picking up the cost for the 1 bedroom and they'll do the studio.

The key is to be upfront and give the people traveling with you all the info so they can make an informed choice.

In my mind there are levels of "guests" who use points:

Dependants: I'm not making my kids fork over their allowance for trips.

Complete Guests: We took my MIL several years ago. Being a rather broke woman, we not only didn't chanrge her for the room, we paid airfare, park admission, and all her food while she was with us. The invite for this is "we'd love to take you on vacation....don't worry about a thing, we'll pay for everything."

Room Guests: Next year my family will be going with us. We really can't afford to pay everything for twelve people. The room is on us, but they will pick up food, airfare and park tickets. The invite for this is "we'd love to have you go on vacation with us. We'll use our points to get you a room - you'll need to cover park tickets, airfare and food."

"Dues" Guests (or "dues plus" guests): We haven't done this yet, but some people have "offered." The invite for this one doesn't come from us, it comes from our guests and is one of those "we'd love to go with you all to WDW sometime, since you have that timeshare." Assuming we had extra points and wanted to travel with them, the response is "that would be great, we'd ask you guys to pick up our dues cost on the extra room - plus you'd need park tickets, airfare and food." To date, the response has always been "we don't have extra points." There is the possibility in the future that we will allow my sister and her husband to take their kids using our points on a "dues plus" arrangement without us.

Renters: Charged to make a profit off of them.

I would never think of charging a family member. We took my SIL and her family last October. We split the cost of all food right down the middle. Even though they have 2 kids and we have none. The fun we had with the kids was worth more than what it cost us. It was a joy to see WDW through their eyes. This year we gave 100 points to my BIL and his family for a trip this May. We'd love to go with them but just can't afford it right now. Again I just can't see charging them. I bought DVC for my enjoyment and one way I get enjoyment is through seeing the joy in my family. BTW, I can't wait to take my niece. Now that's going to be fun.

sean-1966 said:
I would never think of charging a family member. We took my SIL and her family last October. We split the cost of all food right down the middle. Even though they have 2 kids and we have none. The fun we had with the kids was worth more than what it cost us. It was a joy to see WDW through their eyes. This year we gave 100 points to my BIL and his family for a trip this May. We'd love to go with them but just can't afford it right now. Again I just can't see charging them. I bought DVC for my enjoyment and one way I get enjoyment is through seeing the joy in my family. BTW, I can't wait to take my niece. Now that's going to be fun.

i hear what you're saying, but the original post was not about charging people that you invite. It was about inviting people once and then they assume they get to go on every vacation free of cost. We've taken people down at no cost for the room, but if they were to just assume next time that we have to take them, they will have to put some $$$ up.

We always cover the rooms and they cover all of their other expenses. I will say the best thing that we have done is the invite family for 4-5 nights, while we stay 7-8. It is fun to have everyone with us, but it is sure nice to end with just our family. ;)

jimmar6419 said:
We always cover the rooms and they cover all of their other expenses. I will say the best thing that we have done is the invite family for 4-5 nights, while we stay 7-8. It is fun to have everyone with us, but it is sure nice to end with just our family. ;)

That's our next trip. We're down there for 10 days and we have another couple coming down for 5 or 6 days. With Child number 1 on the way, chances are we'll just bank all of next years points. then we're gonna have a bunch of people down for 4/5 days in a Grand Villa, then we'll do a couple days in a studio

Sarahsal said:
crisi said:
"we'd love to go with you all to WDW sometime, since you have that timeshare." QUOTE]

This is why no one except my parents know we own DVC.

Isn't DVC called Disney's best kept secret?

I have a great-niece born in July 05 and the first time I looked at her, I told her we would go to WDW! Sooooooooo - the trip has been planned. Of course I invited her mom and dad, her grandparents (my DB and DSIL), and her aunt and DBF for a trip in Nov. 06. We're have a planning meeting sometimes during the Easter holiday to make sure we all understand the rules:
DH and I will "pay" for the rooms (2 2bdrms) and they will be in charge of everything else. I know that we will share some meals in the rooms etc, but I'm just not that worried about it. I hope to gather info so they know about how much their part will be (park passes mainly).

The joy of taking the great-niece to WDW for the first time is payment enough for me !!

Happy planning to all ! :Pinkbounc :yay:

lsutiggeratwk said:
I have a great-niece born in July 05 and the first time I looked at her, I told her we would go to WDW! Sooooooooo - the trip has been planned. Of course I invited her mom and dad, her grandparents (my DB and DSIL), and her aunt and DBF for a trip in Nov. 06. We're have a planning meeting sometimes during the Easter holiday to make sure we all understand the rules:
DH and I will "pay" for the rooms (2 2bdrms) and they will be in charge of everything else. I know that we will share some meals in the rooms etc, but I'm just not that worried about it. I hope to gather info so they know about how much their part will be (park passes mainly).

The joy of taking the great-niece to WDW for the first time is payment enough for me !!

Happy planning to all ! :Pinkbounc :yay:

Sounds like a plan and good luck in Indy!

I just came back from a trip with my family to the BCV and that included 5 adults and 2 kids on top of my family, I needed to reserve a two bedroom and a studio. We charged them 500 an adult and 150 a child. This covered my families airfare and food and transportation expences while we were there for 7 nights and 8 days, also we included a character breakfast at crystal palace and the hoop de doo review.

My family know that we are all hard working people trying to make ends meet and would never expect a free vacation on me.

If we invite someone, we use our points for the room. They offer to split the food purchase for the room, they buy their own tickets and plane fare.

We do a marathon weekend trip every year with my friend from nursing school, another couple we are friends with, my SIL & BIL, and DH & I. We don't charge SIL & BIL. We don't charge my friend because she sleeps on the pullout and I couldn't charge someone to sleep on the pullout. We do charge the other couple $100/night. We figure that is cheaper than a moderate, they get their own room in a deluxe. We get a grand villa for that trip.

I could charge friends, depending on how the trip was presented in the first place. If we invited them, though, I would not be able to charge them. I couldn't charge family, but then again, I don't have the type of family that would "expect" to always be invited or "expect" to never have to pay. They would offer to pay for stuff, and in the past, they have paid for our admission to a water park or PI as a thank you.

I think it depends on your particular circumstances, what your relationship is with your friends & family.

NYBlue1 said:
...My family know that we are all hard working people trying to make ends meet and would never expect a free vacation on me.

Exactly! I would never invite myself and family along with, for instance, my sister's family on vacation and just expect them to get accommodations to fit all of us for free!! Along the same lines, if I invite my niece to join us, and she shares a room with my daughter, I would certainly not expect any payment. If my sister, husband, kids and a couple of the kids' friends wanted to go to Disney when I told them about our upcoming trip then I would, and have, charged them. It is a win/win situation and they get a significantly cheaper room so I have no qualms whatsoever.

I think if I tried to "give" them a couple of free rooms they would be very uncomfortable. I know that I would if the situation was reversed, as I would worry that I was using too many of their points so I would be tempted to squash too many people in too small a villa and we'd all be miserable.

I guess those who can't imagine "charging" friends or family and whose "greatest joy" is from seeing the incredible happiness their generosity produces are just better than some of us. ;) Or have more more clueless or "spongier" friends and family!

....I can't believe the comments about family and friends. I feel half the fun of the points is treating people to a nice stay. I would never think of charging friends or family. The more you give in the long run the more you will receive.

I can't believe the comments insulting those who don't feel obligated to alway provide a free vacation for their friends and family.

Gosh, a genuinely nice person would be a bit less judgmental, wouldn't they? Hard to be a saint all of the time, huh?

We also bring family and friends, and do not ask for anything in return.
Usually our guests will pick up a dinner check at a nicer dinner joint, but we say that it isn't necessary. If they insist, we don't get into a brawl over it. :teeth:

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter