From airport to hotel with infant

#1 Pocahontas

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!!!

We have always used Mears shuttle in the past. How would you recomend we get to the Hotel with an infant? When I spoke to the airlines they told me I would just hold her in my lap. So does that mean to not bring a carseat? If so, she wouldn't have it for the shuttle ride. Do I go ahead and bring a carseat even if I can't use it on the plane?

Can you tell I am a first time Mom? I have so many questions about taking her with us.

If not Mears, does anyone suggest a different company?

Do you need to buy her a ticket to be able to use her carseat?

How much would her ticket cost on the shuttle?

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!!

Well, we're traveling with an infant in Sept and we're just going to rent a luxury van from FL Tours. They include a 30 minute stop at a store so we're going to use that to stop somewhere and get diapers and formula so we don't have to pack so much. We're bringing his car seat with us also. We have one of those carrier/car seats that attaches to the stroller and when we check in the stroller the car seat is going with it. Anyway, depending on how many people are going, the van could be cheaper. It's one flat rate instead of a per person rate. If a van is too big they also have cars. And what's great about it is the driver meets you at the baggage claim and helps you with your luggage...you need all the extra hands you can get when you're traveling with an infant!

Regarding the airplane, even if you didn't purchase a seat for your baby, you should still take an FAA-approved carseat with you on the plane. If the flight isn't booked, you'll be able to put your baby in the carseat. This is very important because if you encounter turbulance on the flight, you won't be able to hold your baby. If the flight is full, they can just put it on the plane for you after you're at the gate.

Is it too late to buy a reserved seat for your infant? You can usually buy one at half price. The reason I ask is that I have read a lot about how it can be really dangerous to travel with an infant in your lap. If anything ever happened to the plane, your baby would be a projectile. The coffee pots are better secured than a baby in a parent's lap.

That said, if you cannot reserve a seat for her, bring the carseat anyway. maybe there will be empty seats on the plane. If there aren't, then I'm pretty sure you can gate check it with your stroller.

As long as you have your carseat with you, you cna take Mears, a towncar service, or rent a car. If you don't have a carseat, then I'm pretty sure that some of the towncar services can provide a carseat if you give them enough notice, and you can rent one from the car rental companies.

--kathy

We are using Quick Transportation for our trans to the resort and back. There are 7 of us incl a 2.5 yr old and a 5 month old. THey are sending a van for us to airport. Driving will be waiting at our gate with a sign with our name--so we dont have to hunt him down and they provide carseats at no extra charge. We are staying onsite so we didnt want to rent a van for our 9 day trip. These ppl sound great. We are going in Sept I will post when I return to let you guys know if they were as great as they sound.

We took our Ds who was 4 months old in January. We also had the infant car seat that attached to the stroller. They took the car seat and stroller when we borded the plane and they were set up when we got off. He sat in my lap just fine. We hit some turbulance on the way done, but I never had trouble holding him. It wasnt that bad. He actually slept for over half of the plane trip down. As for half price infants, I know US Airways charges full price for kids and carseat babies.

Even if you dont have the carseat/stroller combo, take your own carseat! You just check it with the luggage and you have it when you get there for either the shuttle or towncar service.

We have used Mears in the past and have wised up enough this trip coming in Nov. to try the towncar service. Its 85 dollars round trip to have a driver meet us at luggage pick up, help us with our stuff and off we go. They will even stop for a quick stop at the grocery store if you let them know in advance. All of the above Mears will NOT do. Plus, you sometimes have to wait awhile for your particular shuttle outside where its usually steamy ( even in Jan, when we usually go) and its fumey out there too. Once you board the shuttle, you almost always have to stop at other resorts to let others off. This can take anywhere from 1-2 hours to get to your resort. Its already going to cost 2 adults almost 60 bucks for the shuttle.. for just 30 more.. you get the convenience of the towncar, personal driver, help with luggage, a direct drive to YOUR resort, a grocery store stop if you request it, and supposedly the same driver back!! We have done mears 4 times.. this will be DEFINATELY worth it!!

AimeeM - After a few trips using Mears, we too plan to use a towncar on our next trip. We hope to call ahead to have them provide a carseat for us.

I think Im going to call for a car seat too. Our DS will be 13 months when we go in Nov. Guess there really is no reason to drag our big car seat with us. It was different in Jan when he was tiny. We had a car seat for the shuttle, and a carrier/seat for the room. We definately wont need that this trip. Which service are you using for your towncar? We are using Florida Towncar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter