From NJ, Cape May ferry vs. I95 ?

TheWho

DIS Veteran'
I'm leaving Sunday morning from NJ. Any thoughts on taking the Cape May/Lewes ferry and then Cheasapeak(sp?) Bridge through VA. OR should I just take I95 all the way to DC? thanks

We're done the ferry twice. Not sure if it was faster or anything. But it was a nice break from driving. And the view from the bridge was much nicer than I-95. We usually do go the scenic route on the way up - too anxious to get to Florida to drive leisurely!

There is more money involved with the ferry and you have to get there a bit earllier for boarding the car. (I think that it does fill up during peak times) Check the ferry schedule before getting there. I would think that there might be weekend traffic to the beaches in the mornings? I know that there is bridge traffic during rush hour (& other times?) - Sundays may be light, I'm not sure.

I would recommend trying that route at least once.

In any case, drive safely and enjoy your trip!!

The Cape-May Ferry and Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel route is a great route. It travels through a LOT more rural areas and is 'easier' driving. It is probably a bit more expensive than I-95, but the cost far outweighs the peacefulness (in my opinion)...

I'm not sure if it is longer and by how much.

You probably want to call the Cape-May ferry and check on if you need a reservation for when you plan to travel. A few years ago when I took, I called about a month earlier and made reservations for the ferry. The attendant told me it was a good idea to make reservations during the 'busier' days and periods to ensure that you get on the ferry.

Hope this helps,
Chris

We've never taken the ferry on the way to Florida, (we fly to WDW) but have taken it several times to Delaware coastal destinations. It's a great ride, as is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, but it will add quite a bit of time to your ride. Depending on the ages of your group, and the length of time you have allowed for travel, you will need to weigh the options. And also note that if you are leaving on Saturday, the Parkway en route to the ferry can get quite crowded near the beaches later in the morning. Be sure you are on that stretch of road EARLY. If you are, then I wouldn't think you'd need a reservation for the ferry.

Hi,I live a mile from the Ferry,and you will need reservations if you decide to take it on Saturday,they have been booked all week. I have driven to WDW 2 times and have used the Ferry. The crossing is 70 minutes long. We are leaving on Friday for WDW but this time we are taking I95 all the way down. Also the Ferry has increased their prices, a one way ticket for 1 person and car is around 30.00. Plus the cost of your passengers. Are you planning on driving straight thru?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter