Frozen 2 is coming

I was excluding pixar, but Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, and the recent Winnie the Pooh were all Disney features that were sequels, so you guys got me there. All the others were direct to dvd.

Apparently the hysteria will continue. I didn't think Frozen 2 was newsworthy outside of fan sites, but it has already made it to #3 on my "Trending" news feed.

trending.jpg

j

I was excluding pixar, but Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, and the recent Winnie the Pooh were all Disney features that were sequels, so you guys got me there. All the others were direct to dvd.

The two I posted were sequels not made by pixar, in the theaters and not direct to dvd.

Return to Neverland
Jungle Book 2
You start to get tricky here. I'd avoid counting either of those movies for one simple reason, they aren't Walt Disney Animation.

They were created by a division within the Walt Disney Company known as Disney Toon. They're responsible for movies like Cinderella 2, Planes, and Mulan 2.

They actually made some pretty good movies, but they also made crap that disgraced their namesakes.

The division has (or had) the right to take the look and feel of existing movies and make spinoffs.

Upon the Pixar buyout, Disney Toon stopped its strategy partially because they had run out of movies to sequel but mostly because they'd damaged the brand.

Planes and The Tinkerbell Franchises were their work. Successful too. Now finally they seem to be meeting their fate.

Layoffs were announced recently.

Also off the top of my head along with the two you mentioned was Piglet's Big Movie, Tiger's Movie, and the Heffalump Movie. They'd fit under your criteria as well I believe.

I just don't view any of those movies as canon because they weren't made by the studio that created them.

True about Disney Toon, but the ones you mentioned I'd consider spin offs not true sequels.

True about Disney Toon, but the ones you mentioned I'd consider spin offs not true sequels.
Interesting. You could definitely make that argument.

It's a slippery slope though. That would knock out Winnie the Pooh and Fantasia 2000 as sequels because they don't fit the criteria either.

This would leave Walt Disney Animation with one true sequel.

Rescuers Down Under.

Frozen 2 is going to be ground breaking for just being a sequel alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter