Future of Universal Orlando?

Spaceman Spiff

one by one, cleaning the universal boards of riff-
I pulled this from a article tilted Available Space at Universal Orlando? at www.themeparkinsider.com. It is from someone named Robert Niles and it seems fairly logical to me.

Anyone have any imput? I am a little disappointed that, if true, there is no third theme park in the near future.

(IMPORTANT) I forgot to add that this is not the actual article but a post from one of their members)
-------------------------------------------

Here's what I hear from my sources in Orlando government.

Universal will not build any major new structures on property at IOA or USF in the foreseeable future. The next new major development will be on the Lockheed property.

Universal's intent is to create a themed entertainment area to go after the convention market. The model they've mentioned is Epcot--not necessarily the World's Fair theme, but something that would have more emphasis on dining and shopping in an effort to attract an older crowd. Beyond that very vague concept of the market it wants, Universal's not developed any ideas that it's shared outside the company. The timeline for this is to have it by the end of the decade.

USF and IOA will continue to get new attractions to replace existing ones, or possibly some in-fill, in the areas Kevin's pointed out above. Universal's sold off the land that it owned across Turkey Lake Road, next to Dr. Phillips High School. It has no current plans for anything in that large parcel next to the Royal Pacific, but might install a hotel on the site.

Working against that plan, however, is Universal's desire to include convention hotels as part of the Lockheed project. Universal obviously doesn't want to overbuild the market, so a new hotel next to Royal Pacific is a low priority.

Of course, market conditions can change any long-range plans. Development for 2003 is set. Universal wants something to grab the conventioneer market on the Lockheed property by the end of the decade. Beyond that, it's up for grabs.

Keep in mind that this is an outsider's opinion. There's certainly nothing wrong with that. I would tend to disagree on some of the comments, especially the soundstage ones. You can stick some pretty interesting stuff in a small spot of land, but I wouldn't expect any roads to be moving. I am certain that they will wait and see how things go with the Royal Pacific to see what kind of future hotel plans there may be. There's still space behind the Royal Pacific (actually where it was originally going to be) for another on-site hotel.

Don't look for a third park anytime in the near future. The economy simply cannot support it. The fallout from the last year have been devastating to the Orlando parks, all of them. Universal is pushing against al of the numbers to make the improvements that it is making. It's going to take a while to see how things go. The cost of money to build a park is tremendous, and the banks want to get repaid. There's seven theme parks in Orlando now. Perhaps some day there will be number eight.

I wouldn't be concerned about the future of Universal Orlando. There's a lot of things going on to ensure that it will be a great resort.

So if I were to guess and say by 2010 the third theme park would open I would be wrong? Just curious, I think I miss stated what I said by saying near fufutre.

Thanks for the info Earl!

So there goes the on-site golf course, huh? (Wasn't one planned there in future?)
Maybe the space next to Royal Pacific would make a nice little par-3 course?! Whaddaya think Earl? Cram that suggestion box for us!
Jim

I don't think that there's a date in anybody's head. I really think it's going to be driven by the economy and attendance. There really needs to be some solid growth there before any of the companies sticks their neck out.

Who knows... how many days of two hour waits at Spiderman before they would start another park? This could be a fun guess....

Earl,
How about a "behind the scenes" tour with you as tour guide?!:p ;) That'd boost attendance for sure! (Oh, wait, you could show us but then you'd have to kill us):eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter