Future of west coast runDisney

I wonder if they’ll do some sort of challenge if you do multiple weekends at WDW? Seems like that could be something to make up for C2C for the time being. I was hoping to go C2C in 2018 but of course that’s not happening.

The fact that I just went from "I'm so mad at RunDisney that even though Avengers is still open I won't give them the satisfaction of getting my money just to get a coast to coast medal" to "Oooh! I would do that!" tells you that we're suckers for rD and they know it and I bet you a million dollars they will do some sort of challenge like you suggested. Heck, just wait til they come out with the special medal if you do ALL the WDW races in one year. :rolleyes2

I registered for the Princess Half Marathon in 2018 solely to get my pink coast to coast challenge. I contacted RunDisney a few weeks ago and the cast member that assisted me basically hinted that Tinkerbell (or any Disneyland races) for 2018 was not looking promising, so I requested if I could get refunded for the Princess Challenge since I lived in California and had only signed up for the Princess so I could also run Tinkerbell. They did process my full refund (minus the $25 Active fee). So if you signed up for an East Coast race next year solely to get a challenge medal, I'd definitely ask if you could be refunded. I'm terribly disappointed, as I had run Tinkerbell and Star Wars Light Side in previous years, and had finally gotten the courage to run the coast to coast challenge, but I'm not willing to spend the money/time to go all the way to Florida if the coast to coast is obsolete. : (

Given the level of construction to support the ongoing Disneyland Resort expansion, we have been working hard to determine how we can continue providing our West Coast participants with the best possible runDisney experience, which is designed around the ability to run throughout our resorts while enjoying entertainment offerings and characters.

I bet you most of us here could help them with that. If they REALLY wanted to do the races they could reach out for ideas and get a million of them, many of which would work.

sad...but hopefully just temporary till it's all done.

Sure. Like TOT is ever coming back once "construction" is done...

What is even more terrible is that half of the races for WDW are already sold out... (Marathon Weekend, Princess, some of Dark Side)...us west coasters have limited chances and time to plan now to fly across the country if we want to get a Disney race in.

I continue to see TAs talking about bibs they still have for some races over on the FB rundisneyrunmarketplace. FWIW.

They did process my full refund (minus the $25 Active fee).

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I wanted this to be my last Princess year (the things my FL cousin and I cannot talk about are growing) and even though I desperately did NOT want to do another DL run after the 10 and Half at lightside this year (as I entered the home stretch I started laughing with delight that I would never run in Anaheim again) I was willing to do Tink challenge JUST for the fact that I had done it AND that I would get the pink ribbon. And now... But I can't cancel princess in good faith b/c of my cousin. Sigh.

I'm dissapointe because it means I likely won't be going back to DLR for a long time. I only went to start with because of rundisney races (avengers was first one) and have gone at least once a year since then and enjoy it for how it is different from WDW and has its own charm. Without rundisney races though can't really justify going from GA to CA and certainly not once a year.

I wasn't even going to do a Disney Race next year but I am still sad. I feel like their use of the word "hiatus" is just like how they said the LS registration was "postponed". These are just words they use to cover their butts.

Anyway.... I think I am going to do the Zion HM in April https://vacationraces.com/half-marathons/zion/

TOT was just "suspended"....

So going forward with runDisney race weekends, I have definitely learned that

1.) No race weekend is set in stone - runDisney has changed race dates (Princess used to be in March and is now in February, Tink used to be in January and moved to May, Wine & Dine used to be first week of October and is now in November) and set-ups (Wine & Dine night to day race), and have canceled races with little notice (this), and
2.) As a result of (1), never ever book anything that is non-refundable unless I'm cool with going to whatever Disney park for a non-race trip, in the event that the event is canceled or moved.
I wasn't even going to do a Disney Race next year but I am still sad. I feel like their use of the word "hiatus" is just like how they said the LS registration was "postponed". These are just words they use to cover their butts.

Anyway.... I think I am going to do the Zion HM in April https://vacationraces.com/half-marathons/zion/
That's true. I'm trying to look for positives in this, but I do remember them using similar language when Tower of Terror went away, and that race hasn't come back. :(

So going forward with runDisney race weekends, I have definitely learned that

1.) No race weekend is set in stone - runDisney has changed race dates (Princess used to be in March and is now in February, Tink used to be in January and moved to May, Wine & Dine used to be first week of October and is now in November) and set-ups (Wine & Dine night to day race), and have canceled races with little notice (this), and
2.) As a result of (1), never ever book anything that is non-refundable unless I'm cool with going to whatever Disney park for a non-race trip, in the event that the event is canceled or moved.

That's true. I'm trying to look for positives in this, but I do remember them using similar language when Tower of Terror went away, and that race hasn't come back. :(

I feel so bad for people who booked non-refundable airfare. Yikes!

So glad to have my runDisney DIS community today. I'm actually more sad for my son's sake than my own. He's the one that loves Disneyland (I'm a WDW girl although I actually preferred the west coast races) and was looking forward to running the 10k there next. He only started running last year to train for the Avengers 5k and it was such a wonderful experience for all of us.

I may or may not have already looked up flights for Avengers next month. Then again, I may or may not have said "Too bad Disney I'm going to use my Lightside funds to go to Universal next year instead."

Such mixed emotions. I really don't love DL and runDisney races were the only way DS was able to get me to agree to spend the time and money to go! On one hand I'm happy not to shell out the cash and spend all day flying across the country. On the other hand, I know I enjoyed the race experience there so much more than WDW and so did my DS. (that 2AM WDW race wake up call is SO brutal)

I wonder if they’ll do some sort of challenge if you do multiple weekends at WDW? Seems like that could be something to make up for C2C for the time being. I was hoping to go C2C in 2018 but of course that’s not happening.

There's still time for an emergency Avengers trip! Just sayin'...

Well bride side I can finally commit to running Colfax. And fufill a promise to my trainer I made years back (seriously he runs the race I've been telling him for a while now I would do it). But right now I can't stop crying because this has been such a part of my life for the past 7 years. I've spent the past 7 years celebrating my birthday running the Disneyland Half and it's just hard to comprehend not doing that. This was going to be the first year my birthday landed on the half since 2012 too. And then there was the fact I'm finally graduating and I was looking forward to spending the weekend of Tink celebrating it.

And yeah there's WDW but it's not the same.

I am so glad I made the last minute decision to run the Avengers half, I ran the SW dark in April, so as long as I can manage to finish I will get my coast to coast. It won't be easy as I've always run with somebody who keeps me moving, and will be doing this solo, only my 2nd half, but I really want that C2C medal.

So what west coast races are people doing instead? Personally, I'm planning Santa Rosa (if it's not cancelled due to fire damage) - I want the Snoopy medals! And probably RnR Vegas, since I've always skipped that in favor of Avengers.

What is the name of the Santa Rosa race and when is it? I'd wanted to do the dl half but a Snoopy medal also sounds good.

Glad that they FINALLY made an announcement.

Super Glad - my dd (16 & the runner in our family) was able to get both her pink and blue Coast to coast medals by running LS, Princess, & Tink. Very glad she did the Tink Challenge this year as that is her favorite race and several years ago was her first 10k, followed by her first half, then this year her first challenge.

Very Glad I went ahead and toldher yes to doing all three races at Avengers weekend.

We are local to DL and these races have been a huge motivation for her to keep training. They are most definitely going to leave a hole in her life.

Super super SAD because as her HS graduation present (2019) I was going to book a trip to Paris so she could do the castle to C

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter